This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't get it, whats wrong with Bioshock Infinite's cover art?

#51lostnumberwarPosted 12/3/2012 7:25:54 AM
mrhappyguy12345 posted...
lostnumberwar posted...
lostnumberwar posted...
Because you have an interesting well thought out highly stylized world to explore, but the same boring dude holding gun looking stoic boxart that almost all bargain bin games as well as also ran films sport. It would be like if you ordered a meal at a high priced 5 star quality restaurant and the waiter came out with your $300 steak on a paper plate. sure the food may possibly taste the same but the presentation is sorely lacking in contrast to the content. Anyone that doesn't already know what they are getting will look at it and pass it off as low tier bottom of the barrel junk.

the front tells you the game is an fps, the back provides further detail about the story/setting and possibly gameplay mechanics. Anything else can be found in previews/reviews. The box art is there to catch the eye and sell the game, not tell the entire of story of the game.

My point is that it would fail to catch anyone's eye without just being dismissed as another piece of bargain bin fodder like most games with similar boxart.
There of course will be the legions who already know about Bioshock who will buy it regardless of the boxart, however with boxart like that they may fail to catch the eye of someone new too the series.

You could say the same thing about almost every video game. Out of curiousity, what game covers do you consider eye catching?

I'm not a part of the group I'm speaking about though.
I'm simply answering to the question on hand. To me the game itself is what matters. I actually research whether or not the actual gameplay appeals to me and buy based on that. However the average consumer is known to buy based on appearance. It's one thing to say don't judge a book by it's cover but that doesn't mean that there aren't those that do just that. If a customer walks into a game shop and sees a row of games each with just a picture of some dude with a gun they will most likely just buy the cheapest one in such a lineup. After all to them ones just as good as another right? Wrong.
---
And now for something completely the same.
#52mrhappyguy12345(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 7:42:50 AM
lostnumberwar posted...
lostnumberwar posted...
lostnumberwar posted...
Because you have an interesting well thought out highly stylized world to explore, but the same boring dude holding gun looking stoic boxart that almost all bargain bin games as well as also ran films sport. It would be like if you ordered a meal at a high priced 5 star quality restaurant and the waiter came out with your $300 steak on a paper plate. sure the food may possibly taste the same but the presentation is sorely lacking in contrast to the content. Anyone that doesn't already know what they are getting will look at it and pass it off as low tier bottom of the barrel junk.

the front tells you the game is an fps, the back provides further detail about the story/setting and possibly gameplay mechanics. Anything else can be found in previews/reviews. The box art is there to catch the eye and sell the game, not tell the entire of story of the game.

My point is that it would fail to catch anyone's eye without just being dismissed as another piece of bargain bin fodder like most games with similar boxart.
There of course will be the legions who already know about Bioshock who will buy it regardless of the boxart, however with boxart like that they may fail to catch the eye of someone new too the series.

You could say the same thing about almost every video game. Out of curiousity, what game covers do you consider eye catching?

I'm not a part of the group I'm speaking about though.
I'm simply answering to the question on hand. To me the game itself is what matters. I actually research whether or not the actual gameplay appeals to me and buy based on that. However the average consumer is known to buy based on appearance. It's one thing to say don't judge a book by it's cover but that doesn't mean that there aren't those that do just that. If a customer walks into a game shop and sees a row of games each with just a picture of some dude with a gun they will most likely just buy the cheapest one in such a lineup. After all to them ones just as good as another right? Wrong.

I agree, but why is it that all of a sudden we hold game covers to such a high standard? Most fame covers are generic, and there really is no way around it. Do you really think not having Elizabeth on the cover is going to be detrimental to sales?

Also, if you buy a game based on cover art alone in todays world(internet, previews, instant/early reviews, etc) you are a fool. The cover art serves a simple minimalistic purpose, which is why most are just so.
---
What happened to happy, non-jaded gamers?
#53lostnumberwarPosted 12/3/2012 7:52:17 AM
Maybe. I mean, sex sells and all.
---
#54secondhand1Posted 12/3/2012 8:05:22 AM
Stopthink posted...
Simplicity is lame and what people with no imagination default to.

People actually get paid to put this crap out and it seems like no effort at all went into it.

Should have been a third person view of the guy clinging to the rail system shooting at a mechanized george washington on the ground with a giant blimp and a floating city in the background.

Would have told you everything about the game and would actually get you to look at it if you were browsing in a store, that's marketing.

All we get with this is that the game involves a guy with a gun.

WOW

You know what else is marketing? Piggy-backing on proven successes.
---
The inherent idiocy of youth often outweighs its many advantages.
#55lostnumberwarPosted 12/3/2012 8:19:01 AM
secondhand1 posted...
Stopthink posted...
Simplicity is lame and what people with no imagination default to.

People actually get paid to put this crap out and it seems like no effort at all went into it.

Should have been a third person view of the guy clinging to the rail system shooting at a mechanized george washington on the ground with a giant blimp and a floating city in the background.

Would have told you everything about the game and would actually get you to look at it if you were browsing in a store, that's marketing.

All we get with this is that the game involves a guy with a gun.

WOW

You know what else is marketing? Piggy-backing on proven successes.

http://tinyurl.com/d4mmdh2
Clearly.
---