This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Microsofts "next big franchise" being built by Black Tusk Studios

#61PrehistoryBloakPosted 12/3/2012 10:28:01 AM
You are all pathetic.
---
gamertag/PSN ID Saggyspecial/Saggy_brown
#62XeonexFlashPosted 12/3/2012 10:40:10 AM
I expect it to flop unless it's some sort of shooter.
---
A higher-dimensional entity can shatter your consciousness field with its emotions alone, causing you to experience eternal blackness with no sense of time. -X
#63art_of_the_killPosted 12/3/2012 10:44:53 AM
Finish the fight?
---
"You've lost this argument!"
--- John Marston while lassoing/hogtying someone. Favorite quote this gen.
#64cloudriveraPosted 12/3/2012 10:52:19 AM
When they say they want to make the next Halo, that means they are serious. Halo isn't just a game. It brought about a plethora of items, such as novels and even a live action show/movie. Go to a Toys R us and you can see that they're also Halo toys that are being sold. That to me means that this next game is going to have a heavy focus on story and have a main character they want to push.

That leaves me to think that the genres that can pull that off, besides a shooter, are:

sandbox
RPG
3d platformer

A sandbox game can be based on any setting. Pirate, Feudal Japan, modern day, medieval times, or even a sci fi sandbox game. This genre has the most choices to choose from and I think it'll be a nice pick.

RPG can come in a different of choices. A western rpg, which Fable is, but it can be more based on Skyrim but actually has a good story. A jrpg type of game, because just look at FFXIII sales, there is a market for it. I would personally like to see a western take on a jrpg, if that makes sense.

A mmo rpg, which I think Microsoft should do anyway even if it's not the next Halo, would really make them money. I personally don't see the appeal of mmo rpgs but to each their own. From my knowledge, there isn't really a mmo rpg that is truly popular on consoles, maybe DC Universe.

A 3d platformer would be the hardest one imo. They would basically need to make another mascot and that is not easy to do.
---
currently playing: Assassin's Creed 3, Halo 4
#65IWUPosted 12/3/2012 11:07:13 AM(edited)
You could both be correct you know. It could be a scifi shooter that's also an MMO ala planetside.

Edit: Imagine the Halo universe brought in to an MMO kind of like what Bethsoft is doing with their TES franchise only have it be MMOFPS instead of MMORPG. If you look at the new Halo 4 they are already kind of going that route with Specializations (skill trees) and different abilities. If you take what they've done already with Halo4 and flesh it out a lot more I could see them doing an MMO style FPS maybe even doing a "covenant" vs "UNSC" style persistent campaign similar to the old republic (sith vs Jedi). Throw some space battle/ship exploration in the mix to change up the gameplay and you might have a huge money maker on your hands if you're MS.

This is all wild speculation on my part of course.
---
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds. I suppose we all thought that, one way or another." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
#66Arucard05Posted 12/3/2012 11:02:28 AM
You could both be correct you know. It could be a scifi shooter that's also an MMO ala planetside.

That would be sweet. My PC utters gypsy curses of revenge every time I try to start Planetside 2 on her.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
A place where things happen. Sometimes awesome things.
#67CGB_SpenderPosted 12/3/2012 11:15:32 AM
I hope this is not an online focused shooter. An alternate shooter like Bioshock or The Darkness would be fine. Personally I am hoping it is an RPG better than Fable.
---
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2210/4016647774_8f8d4e0212.jpg
#68Luthor_(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 11:21:07 AM
I just wish they would give a little hint so we don't get our hoped up for specific genres.

I want an RPG or 3D Platformer.
---
Dante Stormblade
#69cloudriveraPosted 12/3/2012 11:21:49 AM
Microsoft can also make a non kinect exclusive for the casuals. A multiplayer 2d platformer ala New Super Mario bros can be very successful, especially if it's online which is something Nintendo should have taken advantage of.

I know it's been said a lot before, but I think they can really pull off a smash bros. type game as well. If it's one thing Microsoft can do is make a good online game, so a smash bros type game that actually has a good online multiplayer with a plethora of modes and unlockables I think can catch a lot of people. If it's fun I'd be down.

They can't really make a kart game, unless it's a successor to Diddy Kong racing. They would have to get a bunch of characters together, and if that's the case I would rather they just make a smash bros. type game instead and the kart game afterward. (lol Master chief can ride around on a ghost)

I dont know what other genres they can try, but they shouldn't make another shooter unless it's completely different than sci fi and modern type shooters. They might do the call of duty thing and release one every year but that can only work if they are different. There can't be two sci fi shooters since evidence is now showing that Call of Duty is starting to sell less.
---
currently playing: Assassin's Creed 3, Halo 4
#70SteelToothPosted 12/3/2012 12:07:55 PM
A little searching reveals the studio was founded by 5 former EA guys and the team grew to 55 with the focus on making "the next big entertainment franchise" for the Xbox.

Hey, wasn't Mass Effect originally an Xbox exclusive? :D
---
TWSSted Steel Disagree with me? Talk to the Tree:
http://i.imgur.com/ihMBR.jpg