This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else think that Microsoft is not losing any money at all when it comes to

#21_OujiDoza_Posted 12/5/2012 10:18:31 AM
Windows 8 is actually pretty well received, and Windows Phone is also known to be excellent, as was the Zune.

The difference is, too many people are wasting their money on inferior, overpriced Apple products.

Microsoft & Samsung should team up and demolish the evil Apple Empire.
---
GT: PrinceDoZeR
http://is.gd/vVHjV1
#22TheBlueStigPosted 12/5/2012 10:50:56 AM
_OujiDoza_ posted...
Windows 8 is actually pretty well received, and Windows Phone is also known to be excellent, as was the Zune.

The difference is, too many people are wasting their money on inferior, overpriced Apple products.

They're both too busy getting sued by Apple for curved corners on the phones....
#23_OujiDoza_Posted 12/5/2012 10:54:24 AM
_OujiDoza_ posted...

They're both too busy getting sued by Apple for curved corners on the phones....

XD
---
#24IvanKozlovPosted 12/5/2012 10:56:49 AM(edited)
_OujiDoza_ posted...

That would be interesting. I'd wager that apple would win. An unwavering fan base + $80 billion in expendable money = Dominance. At least for now.

And the Zune sucked.
---
I'll not stop moving forward. I'll not regret a single step I had taken. That's why...I order you...Do not betray me! And do not leave my side! No matter what.
#25NintatterdemonPosted 12/5/2012 11:08:40 AM
They lost a lot of money at first because they were building a brand. It takes a long time to make a dent in a marketplace with powerful established companies but they did so over time they'll be reaping pretty huge rewards.
#26googlerPosted 12/5/2012 12:27:31 PM
Even after the $2billion they lost over RRoD, they've more than made up for their losses on the original Xbox and RRoD fiasco and have been working on a huge profit for years now
#27randomweirdoPosted 12/5/2012 12:50:07 PM
Keep in mind things when it comes to hardware and accessories. Those definitely have costs associated with them.

Let's take your controller example. A controller has parts that are required to make them. Then there is an employee who assembles them and packages them.

Then it is sold at a wholesale rate to retailers such as Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon, etc. So the retailer takes a cut of that price. And also don't forget that the controller has to be delivered to the store as well. So they need to ship it or transport it somehow. That's another person who needs to be paid, plus cost of the delivery trucks and gas to run them.

Then after the controller is sold, there is also support for the device. If it has problems you have an option to call or chat for support. Or set up a replacement on the website. It costs to provide those options. Then if the controller is under warranty, it has to be replaced for no charge. Obviously not every controller will have to be replaced for free, but it does happen so that has a cost associated to it. Also there is a cost associated if the customer returns a broken controller to the store. The store usually will send it back as damaged merchandise.

So yeah, they will make money, but it isn't going to be around $50 per controller. Probably will end up being something more like less than $10 per controller.
#28EvilCactusPosted 12/5/2012 12:54:42 PM
Hucast9 posted...
To all of you out there:

- Estimate how many controllers you've gone through
- Have you been with Live from the start? How many years?
- How mcuh money have you spent on dlc points?

Anecdotal experiences do not count as evidence
---
sig here
#29_OujiDoza_Posted 12/5/2012 1:02:58 PM
So yeah, they will make money, but it isn't going to be around $50 per controller. Probably will end up being something more like less than $10 per controller.

Only 10 bucks, bull.

Why does everyone try to pull that - no successful business operates at such a small profit, it would go against the business model.
---
#30cup_a_soupPosted 12/6/2012 4:54:47 AM
_OujiDoza_ posted...

That would be interesting. I'd wager that apple would win. An unwavering fan base + $80 billion in expendable money = Dominance. At least for now.

And the Zune sucked.

Zune was anything but sucky.