This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New to HD. Console and TV settings help

#1devlkorePosted 12/4/2012 11:55:57 PM
Hey all,
So I just got my very first HDTV and have it set up, but I think maybe it's not set up optimally as I have never tinkered with this stuff before. Also, the TV has no manual.

Ok, so on the console, I have the following settings (in "display"):
-HDTV Settings - Optimal Resolution (which then sets it to 1360 x 768, a box on the TV pops up telling me it's running at 1360x768@60).
-Screen Format - Greyed out.
-Reference Levels - Expanded (it defaulted to Standard, but I figured Expanded was better unless I notice something off).
-HDMI Color Space - Source (I'm assuming that's the best setting unless the TV doesn't support one).
-Display Discovery - Enable.
-Screen Saver - Enable.

The TV is a TCL brand 32". The model (I think) is L32E5020E but that doesn't show up on the TCL site. Anyway, I managed to get the menu into English and have the following settings:
-Picture Mode - Brightness.
-Backlight - 100.
-Brightness - 50.
-Contrast - 50.
-Saturation - 50.
-Sharpness - 50.
-HUE - 0 and greyed out.
-Color Temp - Standard.
-Adaptive Backlight - off and greyed out (this was previously set to 'on', I just switched to brightness mode which disables it as I figured that was better for games).
-Dynamic Contrast - On.
-Screen Mode - Normal.

It already looks good and coming from my CRT TV that was busted so I had been playing games in black and white or completely ****ed colours for a month, it is one hell of an upgrade. I just want to know if there's anything universal I can/should change for the better.

I'm curious about how Dynamic Backlight and Dynamic Contrast affect games, I'm assuming it's best to have the backlight just set to max at all times, but I don't know about the contrast.

On the xbox side, what should I be looking for when it comes to the reference levels setting to make sure it's correct? Also, isn't 1360x768 a weird resolution, I thought the highest HDTVs were 1080x768 or whatever; does the xbox actually output that resolution or is it upscaling?

Thanks for any help offered.
---
Gamertag: Mad Mistress
[AH3:Weiss(kinda, I'm still new)] [BBCS:Robo-Friends] [MVC3:Hulk/Akuma/Sentinel] [WFC:Scout/Scientist] [SF4:LOL]
#2_SCOTSLADPosted 12/5/2012 12:20:10 AM
For gaming you really want all post prossesing off like all the dynamic stuff, backlight depending on your room lighting really low 10 - 15 dark maybe up to 30 for a bright room.

Sharpness low as well remember you are watching a HD source.

1360 x 768 is fine, sounds like your tv's naitive resolution which is best.

Does the tv have a game mode ? Sometimes it is better to use that.

As for the rest it is really hard for others to say what's best, its you that has to look at it all the time, I still tweek my tv every time I switch the thing on I have a bit of ocd with my settings lol.
---
"I just heard a *FUMP* sound, like that of a billion fanboy heads exploding in unison."
#3_SCOTSLADPosted 12/5/2012 12:36:28 AM
to slow for an edit**

Here is what my TV is set at remember I have a samsung these will not wok for you but might give you an idea where to start.

* Picture Mode: Standard
* Backlight: 3
* Contrast: 100
* Brightness: 43
* Sharpness: 0
* Color: 37
* Tint: G55/R45
* Eco: Enable No Signal Power Off

Advanced Settings:

* Black Tone: Off
* Dynamic Contrast: Off
* Shadow Detail: -2
* Gamma: 0
* RGB Only: Off
* Colour Space: Native
* White Balance:
* Red Offset: 23
* Green Offset: 21
* Blue Offset: 15
* Red Gain: 45
* Green Gain: 20
* Blue Gain: 21

* Flesh tone: 0
* Edge Enhancement: On

Picture Options:

* Color Tone: Standard
* Size: Screen Fit
* Digital Noise Filter: Off
* MPEG Noise filter: Off
* HDMI Black Level: Low
* Auto Protection Time: 2 hours
---
"I just heard a *FUMP* sound, like that of a billion fanboy heads exploding in unison."
#4devlkore(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 1:56:47 AM
Thanks for that info.

It doesn't have a game mode alas.

To be honest, I didn't really notice anything change when I changed the sharpness, maybe on my set it's just for non-HD sources or something, I have turned it down to 0 regardless. I tried putting the backlight to 15 and it seemed way too dim, but I am trying it at 50 instead to see how it looks, I just assumed maximum was best lol. Contrast at max on my set is horrible, so for now it stays at 50 (with dynamic off).
---
Gamertag: Mad Mistress
[AH3:Weiss(kinda, I'm still new)] [BBCS:Robo-Friends] [MVC3:Hulk/Akuma/Sentinel] [WFC:Scout/Scientist] [SF4:LOL]
#5lostoutlawnbPosted 12/5/2012 2:48:12 AM
_SCOTSLAD

I have a samsung also, do you use optimal resolution on your xbox? When I use it, it disables nearly all my options on my tv, the only thing I can change is backlight, contrast, and brightness. It also switches color space to auto(xbox input) instead of native and HDMI black level to normal instead of low, which makes the colors look very dull and too bright.
#6_SCOTSLADPosted 12/5/2012 3:00:25 AM
lostoutlawnb posted...
_SCOTSLAD

I have a samsung also, do you use optimal resolution on your xbox? When I use it, it disables nearly all my options on my tv, the only thing I can change is backlight, contrast, and brightness. It also switches color space to auto(xbox input) instead of native and HDMI black level to normal instead of low, which makes the colors look very dull and too bright.

No, I do not use optimal I have it turned off and have the tv set at 1080p.
For the reason you posted it turns a lot of stuff off.
---