This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for a new game

#1Masamune_DSPosted 12/5/2012 3:33:51 PM
So tomorrow is my birthday and my mom is looking to get me a game. I honestly haven't kept up with the latest games at all this year. So I seek direction. To narrow the search I'll list my preferences:

1) RPGs are what I lean towards most. Oblivion is one that I've played to boredom. Open world is nice, but not entirely necessary. Mass Effect 2 was too restrictive in mobility for me, so anything with greater freedom would be nice.

2) I do not like FPS games. So CoD and those like it are automatically off my list if they do not have any other areas of appeal.

3) The need for strategy is a good touch. Hate the hack-n-slash or muscle-your-way-through-it sort of gameplay.

4) I would like a decent length to the main story. If it is too short I might lose interest.

So far I've checked out the last Xcom. Looks interesting enough. Don't know about the replay value though. Will look into Borderlands 2 as well. I've heard good things about it.
---
If a wizard turns me into Dawn then I would sooo touch myself every single night. ~ SoulGainDestiny
#2ironmaidenfan70Posted 12/5/2012 3:36:16 PM
Borderlands 2 is a fps tho
---
I love to sing-a About the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a,I love to sing-a,
#3Masamune_DS(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 3:40:31 PM
ironmaidenfan70 posted...

From a quick look it appears to have some RPG elements to it, which falls under other areas of appeal.
---
If a wizard turns me into Dawn then I would sooo touch myself every single night. ~ SoulGainDestiny
#4SunDevil77Posted 12/5/2012 3:41:13 PM
Assassins Creed 3
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#5smash_boyPosted 12/5/2012 3:42:12 PM
What about Dishonored?
---
XBL gamertag: XxDeadlyFrostxX
#6ChiRobotPosted 12/5/2012 3:42:59 PM
Masamune_DS posted...
So tomorrow is my birthday and my mom is looking to get me a game. I honestly haven't kept up with the latest games at all this year. So I seek direction. To narrow the search I'll list my preferences:

1) RPGs are what I lean towards most. Oblivion is one that I've played to boredom. Open world is nice, but not entirely necessary. Mass Effect 2 was too restrictive in mobility for me, so anything with greater freedom would be nice.

2) I do not like FPS games. So CoD and those like it are automatically off my list if they do not have any other areas of appeal.

3) The need for strategy is a good touch. Hate the hack-n-slash or muscle-your-way-through-it sort of gameplay.

4) I would like a decent length to the main story. If it is too short I might lose interest.

So far I've checked out the last Xcom. Looks interesting enough. Don't know about the replay value though. Will look into Borderlands 2 as well. I've heard good things about it.

Of course I'll recommend Skyrim.
Fable 2?But don't play the third, it really stinks.
Borderlands 2, as previously stated, is an FPS. If you can accept Borderlands FPS view, then try Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Fallout 3 is made by Bethesda, the team who made Oblivion, so it is similar in quite a few ways. Dragon Age: Origins is amazing. You might want to check the 2nd one as well.
---
[2-years on GFAQS] OBJECT THE OBJECTION
#7blacklable1617Posted 12/5/2012 3:43:24 PM
If you can get past the fact that Far Cry 3 is an FPS it truly is an awesome game! Great open world environment, great story and length, plenty of side quests, great RPG element. Its really worth at least watching a few youtube videos on it!
---
('` | | . |;;; |\ | `'|'`| |,,|. | .. |
.,) | |,,,|,,, | \| . |. |.| .|. |,,,,|,,,,When I gain my equilibrium!!!!
#8ramseanGoodbyePosted 12/5/2012 3:44:29 PM
Masamune_DS posted...
ironmaidenfan70 posted...

From a quick look it appears to have some RPG elements to it, which falls under other areas of appeal.

From your description Borderlands really doesn't sound like its for you. Minimal story, repetitive gameplay and virtually no strategy.
#9Masamune_DS(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2012 4:00:16 PM
What about Dishonored?

I was starting to look into that about a week ago. Forgot all about it.

Borderlands 2, as previously stated, is an FPS. If you can accept Borderlands FPS view, then try Fallout 3 or New Vegas. Fallout 3 is made by Bethesda, the team who made Oblivion, so it is similar in quite a few ways. Dragon Age: Origins is amazing. You might want to check the 2nd one as well.

Already have Skyrim in the household, albeit its my brothers. We make it a habit to not share. Dragon Age is one series that has been on my mind. I've heard that one of them was disappointing in some way. Do you know which?

If you can get past the fact that Far Cry 3 is an FPS it truly is an awesome game! Great open world environment, great story and length, plenty of side quests, great RPG element. Its really worth at least watching a few youtube videos on it!

I'll put that on my to-do list then.

From your description Borderlands really doesn't sound like its for you. Minimal story, repetitive gameplay and virtually no strategy.

Well, now I know.
---
#10ChiRobotPosted 12/6/2012 8:05:02 AM
Masamune_DS posted...
What about Dishonored?

I was starting to look into that about a week ago. Forgot all about it.

Already have Skyrim in the household, albeit its my brothers. We make it a habit to not share. Dragon Age is one series that has been on my mind. I've heard that one of them was disappointing in some way. Do you know which?

I'll put that on my to-do list then.

Well, now I know.

The second one was the one that was slightly disappointing.
---
[2-years on GFAQS] OBJECT THE OBJECTION