This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Console gaming is screwed if we have another gen like this one.

#21mabber_IIIPosted 12/6/2012 11:16:17 AM
this gen, where all 3 consoles sold over 70 million units each?

yeah, they are totally screwed next time
#22SheepinatorPosted 12/6/2012 11:19:19 AM
Nintendological posted...
I was expecting something a bit more elegant and thoroughly thought out. Perhaps an observation anout rising costs or the continually blurred line between consoles and PCs that render consoles as unnecessary. Mobile gaming is a threat to gaming, but only in the realm of handhelds. Vita and DS have the most to lose. An iPad or Galaxy Tab offer impressive titles to be sire, but none fully comparable to a console.

Very true re Vita and DS. However they do still impact consoles. I've said for a while the middle ground is dead because you have $60 games like CoD and BF with hundreds of hours of play value, and $1-$10 games on digital platforms also offering great value, and this leaves all those 10-20 hour experiences on sale for $60 in no mans land.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#23Shy420Posted 12/6/2012 11:23:14 AM
I will admit that I don't quite understand why people believe that with new technology devs are going to be inspired to make innovative games. Why would anyone think that the next gen is going to be any different than this one? Developers are going to be bullied in to making the same simplified games they are now. I'd dare to say that it will be worse because now companies see that the mindless Facebook and mediocre but excellent for smart phone games will make money.
---
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.
#24SheepinatorPosted 12/6/2012 11:25:18 AM
mabber_III posted...
this gen, where all 3 consoles sold over 70 million units each?

yeah, they are totally screwed next time

EA and Take Two (Rockstar) have only made a fraction of the money they made during PS2/XBox. THQ was very successful last cycle, they are on the verge of bankruptcy now. Midway is gone. Eidos was acquired for pennies. Now costs are on the verge of rising again. So yeah, it isn't a great business model. People buy consoles for the games. If there aren't enough games, there will be less console buyers, and developers go where the customers are.
---
#25AkaimizuPosted 12/6/2012 11:34:00 AM
Once Consoles abandon the idea that they have consistent hardware for which games can be made on them for years with no upgrades, they lose a good bit of their reason for being in the console market completely.

Precisely the logic, the TC used, is why just having a platform that is easy to get new games and just run them is no longer a console advantage. So stability of games without upgrades for years is the big aspect they are clinging onto. The Portable Market is a lot like the PC one, hardware keeps fluctuating, new hardware demands come, and in a much shorter time, your hardware is obsolete to run the latest games.

That is, the hardware chase. Consoles have always been the beacon to get out of that game without getting out of gaming. Now some might argue, but others can stay with old hardware and just play old games. However, there's a growing amount of genres or genre twists not dependant on the technology but only appear in new games, not old ones. Even then, sometimes even typically simpler hardware genres start to leave older machines behind. For instance, strategy games like Might and Magic Heroes VI, for which it suddenly said, "Oh, remember that laptop you bought like a year or two ago thinking you can still play all Strategy games on it? Sorry buddy. You can't play me."

Without that, the consoles (nowadays) don't have the main advantage they have left. The ability for people to also keep their PCs around for just as many years because all their work still runs great on those PCs, and why upgrade if they can't run the latest game on it?
---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#26The_Mighty_KELPPosted 12/6/2012 11:47:03 AM
Anyone else tired of stupid topics like this that get on the front page? Honestly, we need a mod who does nothing but delete topics that have a lack of common sense and intelligence.
---
Jogurt attacks! Inflicts 1 point of damage on the Goblin. Goblin is defeated! Jogurt gains experience.
...it appears that Jogurt's level has increased to 1.
#27NixemoPosted 12/6/2012 11:54:04 AM
Halo 4 sold 4 million copies... Black Ops 2 set record highs... Yes, the console market is hurting...
---
Visit my gaming site: www.thegameasylum.com
AC: City Folk - Name: Alex - City: Viridian - Friend Code: 0173-8160-2616
#28El_ZaggyPosted 12/6/2012 11:56:06 AM
This topic isnt stupid.

Look at all the studios closing, the job lost in the industry. This gen accelerated the decline of mid-developpers givning the big dev/publisher the possibilities to buy them, close them, rip off customers etc.

Another gen like this and the gaming industry is in deep sheet.
#29AkaimizuPosted 12/6/2012 12:08:54 PM(edited)
But that's just the general cycle of gaming shifts. It's happened multiple times before. And I'm not even talking the great Videogame crash of the 80s. I'm also talking about the 90s, too. We had this even before we had Playstation.

Every certain amount of years, a cycle happens. Companies fall, people shift around, new companies form. It's what we call progress.

But this time, we have a new weapon in the industry. The successful indie developer. Ones that generally keep a "check" on the industry to keep things from just going all stale with nothing but "proven successful" formulas constantly regurgitated in the industry. And oddly enough, is the biggest reason for the shakeup. All those people blaming something else, and ignoring the impact of the stronger Indie development are often missing the point. And funny enough, it's also affected the PC market to a good degree. These, smaller teams, with low development costs and *now* very powerful game creation tools, are probably the biggest horribly underestimated force in gaming today.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#30SheepinatorPosted 12/6/2012 12:02:50 PM
Nixemo posted...
Halo 4 sold 4 million copies... Black Ops 2 set record highs... Yes, the console market is hurting...

And the other 98% of games, how did they do?
---