This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Console gaming is screwed if we have another gen like this one.

#31TheBlueStigPosted 12/6/2012 12:06:01 PM
Sheepinator posted...
Nixemo posted...
Halo 4 sold 4 million copies... Black Ops 2 set record highs... Yes, the console market is hurting...

And the other 98% of games, how did they do?

Make something that people like, they would do just as well.

Game developers are their own worst enemies.
#32FRo3tBLo0dPosted 12/6/2012 12:14:38 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#33JMCYodaPosted 12/6/2012 12:17:19 PM
I think what hurt this generation of gaming more than anything else was all the shovelware on the Wii. It is a great system, and the first party games were, for the most part, amazing. With people buying the Wii that wouldn't touch the 360 or the PS3, it was a great introductory way to get more people into gaming.

However, what happened was the same thing that crippled the American gaming industry in the early 80s. Remember E.T.? It wasn't just that game that almost killed gaming, it was a symptom of what was wrong then. Too many bad games coming out at one time, and too little good stuff between them. Looking at the old games in my local used game store (I'm lucky enough to have a real retro-game store across the street from my local GameStop. Better deals and everything from the Atari 2600 and its peers all the way through to the 360 and its peers). For every Missile Command I see there (for the Atari 2600), I see 5 copies of Pac-Man and a host of other low quality, quickly produced games.

When the NES came out, Nintendo did several things. One, any game on the NES was exclusive. Since the 2600 had eight consoles it competed with, Frogger (for example) was released for all eight. That kept down the competition, and stopped the market from getting diluted with too many of the same title. Also, Nintendo would only license about 10 games a year per developer. This was to prevent the sheer amount of junk games. If you could only put out 10 games a year, would you put out something that would get bad word-of-mouth and bad reviews (around the time of the NES was the first gaming magazines, giving reviews).

I love my Wii, and I love the handful of games I have for it. It just too much junk and it was getting to hard to sift through it for good games.
---
He is Risen.
#34AkaimizuPosted 12/6/2012 12:17:26 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
Sheepinator posted...
Nixemo posted...
Halo 4 sold 4 million copies... Black Ops 2 set record highs... Yes, the console market is hurting...

Make something that people like, they would do just as well.

Game developers are their own worst enemies.

Pretty much. Even if what you think you made is quality, in the places you concentrated on, it's all about what the audience wants.

The other side is to advertise it and get the knowledge of the game to the right people. Thanks to the Internet, twitter, game sites, and other social outlets, it's a lot cheaper to do so without buying all kinds of ad space.

The big shakeup here is that graphic capability != audience want anymore. As long as it is pretty and stylistic (something accomplished on just about any hardware nowadays), it could be a runaway hit if the gameplay is good or expansive enough. Graphic fidelity only works for those "realistic" games, per se. But the growing genres of games seeing high sales, and very high returns, don't require that. The audience has shifted.
---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#35SavageDonzillaPosted 12/6/2012 12:20:51 PM
andy113456 posted...
Sometimes I wonder if half these topics are people being serious.

Stupidity is serious business. Working in the customer support field has jaded me more than I was, I believe everyone who says something stupid is because the person is, in fact, stupid.
---
Consumers are entitled, rude d-bags and get everything they deserve.
#36SheepinatorPosted 12/6/2012 12:38:40 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
Sheepinator posted...
Nixemo posted...

Make something that people like, they would do just as well. Game developers are their own worst enemies.

So, everyone can be in the top 2%? That's great news. The market is littered with good games that didn't sell very well and made little if any profit for their huge multi-year investment. This board is full of countless topics about this or that under-appreciated game that didn't sell. But all they have to do is be in the top few, and it's all good? If only every developer had thought of that sage advice. What a simplistic and pointless suggestion.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#37universaldavePosted 12/6/2012 12:42:13 PM
pothocket posted...
That's good to hear,TC, because I was planning on buying a 40 inch phone to replace my TV.

LOL! Well done, sir, well done.
---
Gamefaqs: where men who can't get dates take every opportunity to tell everyone about their incredibly high standards when it comes to women.
#38CapwnDPosted 12/6/2012 12:42:52 PM
The TC is a sony fanboy, that's why he's so depressed.
---
Thrash or be Thrashed
#39keyblade_lordPosted 12/6/2012 12:42:53 PM
When my phone can play games like Arkham City or Borderlands 2, maybe then I'll consider gaming on my phone. Right now it's a joke.
---
OBJECTION! This Topic Clearly Sucks!
PSN, Steam and Gamertag: Joseponypants
#40GeistPosted 12/6/2012 12:42:56 PM
So how many more of these topics will we have to go through before you gullible fools stop and realize it's all just trolling?
---
Currently playing : RDR