This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Console gaming is screwed if we have another gen like this one.

#41poppen695Posted 12/6/2012 1:46:23 PM
The only way the next gen would be screwed is if Sony and Microsoft think the WiiU was a good idea and they model their own new consoles after it...otherwise everything will be fine.
#42Dersu_UzalaPosted 12/6/2012 1:56:30 PM
Smartphones aren't a major threat to consoles. PCs and the utter crushing dominance of Steam are the real threat.
#43ArkonBladePosted 12/6/2012 1:59:03 PM
OrgeLambart posted...
hahaha

oh wait you were being serious....

---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow
#44creep50Posted 12/6/2012 2:08:58 PM
stawg007 posted...
This gen has been one of the worst ever

Greedy devs, online passes, overpriced/held back/on disc dlc, lack of gaming variety compared to past gens

Don't get me wrong, there has been quality games this gen but as a whole I'd definitely consider it terrible compared to the last 2 gens at least

I can only see it getting worse next gen

pretty much this...this has been my least favorite gen that i have been a part of

dlc and a lack of variety are a huge reason why
---
San Andreas > > > > > > > > >Desert Bus > > > > > > > >GTA 4
#45WiiFan77Posted 12/6/2012 2:15:23 PM
Honestly? I didn't like the consoles this gen. Severe lack of notable turn-based RPGs. Every 3rd-person action game and 1st-person shooter was the same.
---
???
#46EternalNetherPosted 12/6/2012 2:19:25 PM
Allow me to point out the mistake the TC made in his opening post.

Mobile gaming is not on the rise. Quite the contrary. Mobile gaming has actually decreased in general popularity over the last couple of years. Mobile PHONES are constantly increasing in sales due to the craze for smartphones (tablets are a similar story), however the gaming scene is not. There's been a bit of a stall on that front. Lack of developers, consumer disgust with the nickel and diming of IAP (in-app purchases), low sales, no new titles, etc.
---
Currently Anticipating: Elder Scrolls Online, Phantasy Star Online 2, Final Fantasy XIV
#47PhadinPosted 12/6/2012 3:29:25 PM
I agree with the above that mobile gaming devices might be threatened by mobile phones/smartphones and tablets. I'm not sure what the duration will be, but I do think that we will see a demise of dedicated mobile gaming platforms some time in the near future... next decade or so. There is little handheld gaming devices can do that phones and tablets can't or won't soon.

However, consoles, and likewise PCs, will remain. Larger devices mean more space, chip size, power, and graphical capabilities. As handhelds start to catch up, the larger devices are already moving on to the next level. Even laptops have trouble keeping up with a true high-level gaming PC.

I also think that consoles can weather the PC's as a competitor for gaming. PC's are great, especially with Steam. However, the variety of cards, components, and general unreliability of PC configuration and OS makes it difficult to create games that can be run on any platform at a high quality. Dedicated gaming systems have a reliable hardware base, making it easier for game developers to create games for them. Someone who wants to keep up with high quality PC gaming needs to be constantly dishing out extra cash for new hardware to keep up. Most people are not capable of doing that reliably.
#48Cloud75xPosted 12/6/2012 3:32:12 PM
I'd be worried about microsoft right now, there might not be an xbox 720 or after a few years it might die like the Dreamcast did.
---
"That which does not become part of the one, shall become one with the void."
#49ballermat982Posted 12/6/2012 3:37:13 PM
This was a great gen. The 360 and PS3 sold 70 million consoles, the Wii is approaching 100 million, the DS and PSP also did great (not sure on the numbers for those). As for mobile and tablet gaming devices, I can see them taking away some of the casual market that wants convenience gaming, but most of the casuals and the hardcore market should remain unaffected for people that want deep games. One thing I will say is dev costs need to come down. Too many layoffs and companies being shut down this gen.
#50k925457Posted 12/6/2012 3:38:18 PM
LIes go back to the original xbox ps2 gamecube era nowadays there are only COD games.