This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Console gaming is screwed if we have another gen like this one.

#51SunDevil77Posted 12/6/2012 3:38:26 PM
Cloud75x posted...
I'd be worried about microsoft right now, there might not be an xbox 720 or after a few years it might die like the Dreamcast did.

Can I try whatever you're smoking?
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#52TheBlueStigPosted 12/6/2012 3:49:18 PM
Sheepinator posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
Sheepinator posted...
Nixemo posted...
Halo 4 sold 4 million copies... Black Ops 2 set record highs... Yes, the console market is hurting...

And the other 98% of games, how did they do?

Make something that people like, they would do just as well. Game developers are their own worst enemies.

So, everyone can be in the top 2%? That's great news. The market is littered with good games that didn't sell very well and made little if any profit for their huge multi-year investment. This board is full of countless topics about this or that under-appreciated game that didn't sell. But all they have to do is be in the top few, and it's all good? If only every developer had thought of that sage advice. What a simplistic and pointless suggestion.

One word....

Advertising.

The vast majority of games are released without ANY advertising at all outside of a few random posts by developers on the forums dedicated to those games.

If you don't advertise something properly, how the f*** are people supposed to know when it's out so they can go out and buy them?

Also, bugtesting. Something that's been getting steadily worse over time, to the point where game breaking glitches are found out in the open during normal gameplay.

There's also a fairly large problem with developers' employees overspending themselves during the development process. Watch a few behind the scenes videos from different development houses and watch the parking lot flybys. Way too many high dollar vehicles, well into the high 5 and low 6 figure ranges, as well as gas guzzling SUV's and price-inflated Eco-trash hybrids.

Maybe if they'd stop spending beyond their means, they wouldn't be complaining about not "getting their cut" of the used game business.
#53KeyBlade999Posted 12/6/2012 3:58:14 PM
Your opinion, TC, is not equal to everyone else's. Don't post it here as fact.

I have thoroughly enjoyed myself this gen.
---
Every wound a new opportunity, every curse a new challenge.
I shall encounter defeats... But I will not be defeated.
#54vega2505Posted 12/6/2012 4:05:34 PM
Mobile gaming is popular because the games are either free or really cheap...Angry Birds, at least the original is free, that's why it has been downloaded so many times...but I'm pretty sure Minecraft has been downloaded more between the 360 and PC.
---
I used to be a Street Fighter like you...then I took a Spiral Arrow to the knee.
#55ReDxVaLoOPosted 12/6/2012 4:19:40 PM
No. Mobile gaming is great for people who have never really gotten into gaming, but were introduced to it on their phone, but people aren't going to abandon console/PC for mobile gaming. I think mobile gaming WILL however be a threat to the 3DS/VIta.
---
You have not experienced pain until you have gone toe-to-toe with a Spiny Lobster
#56Akiba69Posted 12/6/2012 4:20:49 PM
I agree OP, the sad thing a lot of people, especially on here, wont agree with you as they themselves are the reason why this gen has been so poor and uncreative.
---
Want a Nuketown Zombies Code? PM me.
#57SheepinatorPosted 12/6/2012 4:52:37 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
Sheepinator posted...
So, everyone can be in the top 2%? That's great news. The market is littered with good games that didn't sell very well and made little if any profit for their huge multi-year investment. This board is full of countless topics about this or that under-appreciated game that didn't sell. But all they have to do is be in the top few, and it's all good? If only every developer had thought of that sage advice. What a simplistic and pointless suggestion.

One word....

Advertising.

The vast majority of games are released without ANY advertising at all outside of a few random posts by developers on the forums dedicated to those games.

If you don't advertise something properly, how the f*** are people supposed to know when it's out so they can go out and buy them?

Define "properly", and do you have any idea how expensive that is? If you mean TV ads, that's very expensive and the target demographic isn't exactly the kind who watches TV never mind watches ads on TV. I don't believe the issue is gamers not knowing about the game, the issue is they don't want to spend $60 on games unless they have hundreds of hours of play value. Which is unrealistic compared to other forms of discretionary spending such as restaurants, cinema, movies, concerts, etc., but that's the way it's become.

The point is console gaming has become a poor business model, and no offense, but there are a lot of smart people involved in the business and I doubt your suggestions are anything that would be revolutionary to them. It's because it's a poor business model for developers, other than the top few like CoD, BF, GTA, that gamers should be concerned about the future.

Also, bugtesting. Something that's been getting steadily worse over time, to the point where game breaking glitches are found out in the open during normal gameplay.

I have found no more game breaking glitches this gen than last, and last gen lacked the ability to patch. Although, I haven't played any Bethesda games anywhere near launch. Besides, the issue you're talking about is partly due to rising complexity (for the same price remember). You want to have your cake and eat it, bigger and better games all the time for no higher cost, then complain if there's a bug in it.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#58EM_MegaPosted 12/6/2012 4:56:38 PM
The day I choose to play a game on my Smart Phone rather than firing up my 360 is the day I will kill myself seppuku style.
#59SragentThomPosted 12/6/2012 4:57:02 PM
Could the people disagreeing with the TC at-least try to present a counter argument instead of saying "lol no"?
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Df8Ny6zHVc
Mc Nuggco: Heart attack within
#60SheepinatorPosted 12/6/2012 4:58:16 PM
US retail sales down 11% in November compared to last year, despite Halo 4 and BLOPS2 doing so well. No wonder so many other games were discounted so heavily around Black Friday. The middle ground is dead.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-12-06-us-game-sales-down-11-percent-in-november-despite-call-of-duty
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.