This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Console gaming is screwed if we have another gen like this one.

#61HughJorgennPosted 12/6/2012 5:19:14 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
Usually people with 1090 Karma are smarter than this.....usually.

Anybody who thinks 2 minute long cellphone games that cost a $1 to buy can fully replace consoles and dedicated gaming handhelds is too gullible for words.
#62OrgeLambartPosted 12/6/2012 5:39:21 PM
People have less money to spend on video games, unemployment is still really high, it's a bad time for just about any industry. Next year we'll all that fancy new 500 dollar video game system with our 150 dollar controllers, playing out 89.99 dollar games.

Choke full of day 1 dlc cheat codes.
#63ThePaleGamerPosted 12/6/2012 5:54:47 PM
Eh console gaming will still live
---
Insert generic signature here.
#64The_Undying_84Posted 12/6/2012 5:59:17 PM
DyingPancake posted...
This gen has been one of the best ever

I think we'll be fine for the next go round

While I think the TC's point is silly, I disagree with that. I would have to say it's the worst generation in my lifetime ('91). It's not really bad or anything, but I think 4th/5th/6th generation consoles are all way better.
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#65randomweirdoPosted 12/6/2012 6:02:52 PM
OrgeLambart posted...
People have less money to spend on video games, unemployment is still really high, it's a bad time for just about any industry. Next year we'll all that fancy new 500 dollar video game system with our 150 dollar controllers, playing out 89.99 dollar games.

Choke full of day 1 dlc cheat codes.

Yet console and PC gaming is one of the few industries that has grown in the past few years, not declined. Because honestly, with the economy sucking as much as it is, people are looking for what will give them the most bang for their buck in entertainment.

A console and games for it definitely will give more hours of entertainment than the same amount spent on movies or sporting events. People also see the apps on Xbox Live as a way of saving on their cable bills. Plenty of people have ditched their cable in favor of services like Netflix and HuluPlus. Also it can save on phone bills since you can play with friends who live far away and have party chats with them and play games together. And with console prices lowering, more people are jumping in on getting a console for the fact that in the long run it will be a savings for them. And many of you may scoff at the Entertainment for All plan, but that is going to entice people over as well.

People may have less money to spend on entertainment, but often their money for other things is going towards video games and many people who were not previously gamers have gotten into it now. Many people aren't cutting back nearly as much in their gaming, but are indeed cutting out other expenses.

And mobile gaming isn't hurting consoles one bit. Mobile phones lack the capability for the types of games the 360 can play and most people wouldn't be satisfied playing games on a tiny smartphone screen. The only place where mobile phones are hurting gaming is in the handhelds since the people that handheld systems appeal to are likely to look at mobile games. But handhelds aren't hurting that bad from it since they still can do better than a phone can and they appeal to many console gamers as well.
#66Devil_wings00Posted 12/6/2012 6:05:31 PM
Sheepinator posted...
mabber_III posted...
this gen, where all 3 consoles sold over 70 million units each?

yeah, they are totally screwed next time

EA and Take Two (Rockstar) have only made a fraction of the money they made during PS2/XBox. THQ was very successful last cycle, they are on the verge of bankruptcy now. Midway is gone. Eidos was acquired for pennies. Now costs are on the verge of rising again. So yeah, it isn't a great business model. People buy consoles for the games. If there aren't enough games, there will be less console buyers, and developers go where the customers are.

Don't forget to mention Nintendo. There stock price has gone down 80% since 2007 (low 70's to about 15 bucks now) and there gross income is down 80% since 2009 with revenue also down 65% since 2009. This gen hasn't been kind to them despite peoples misconception that because the wii sold like hot cakes Nintendo is doing great. I think they reported losses close to half a billion dollars in 2011.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#67TheBlueStigPosted 12/6/2012 6:19:44 PM
Sheepinator posted...
Define "properly", and do you have any idea how expensive that is? If you mean TV ads, that's very expensive and the target demographic isn't exactly the kind who watches TV never mind watches ads on TV.

Nintendo figured it out years ago, they pick the proper time and place for their ads to hit the full demographics they're after. They advertise directly to specific audiences during specific shows and they're ALWAYS running new TV commercials every 2 to 3 weeks for both their hardware and their games. Sony almost completely dropped the ball on TV advertising, and M$ was only sightly better.

I don't believe the issue is gamers not knowing about the game

Try working videogame retail and answering the phones for a few weeks. When you tell people over and over what the newest games are, and you hear their response that they didn't even know that game was out on the shelves, you just MIGHT finally figure it out.

the issue is they don't want to spend $60 on games unless they have hundreds of hours of play value. Which is unrealistic compared to other forms of discretionary spending such as restaurants, cinema, movies, concerts, etc., but that's the way it's become.

That's gamers getting sick and tired of developer laziness, not wanting to pay $60 for a 5 hour title, and it's the right thing to be doing, voting with their wallets. Developers are banking on multiplayer and DLC to double and triple the cost of the games up to $180 or more and gamers are sick and tired of the shell game.

The point is console gaming has become a poor business model, and no offense, but there are a lot of smart people involved in the business and I doubt your suggestions are anything that would be revolutionary to them.

A monkey throwing darts at an idea board could make better decisions than some of the morons in charge of these companies because they're COMPLETELY out of touch with their audience. Instead of figuring out what the fans actually want, they're too f***ing busy trying to figure out ways to force and push the market to the eventual way they want it to be, and they're pushing in the wrong directions.

I have found no more game breaking glitches this gen than last, and last gen lacked the ability to patch. Although, I haven't played any Bethesda games anywhere near launch. Besides, the issue you're talking about is partly due to rising complexity (for the same price remember). You want to have your cake and eat it, bigger and better games all the time for no higher cost, then complain if there's a bug in it.

Nobody's complaining about average bugs very much, especially bugs that take very specific circumstances to repeat them. It's the bugs that occur out in the open during perfectly normal gameplay, that are repeatable over and over and over again, THOSE are the bugs people are tired of seeing make it all the way to the shelves.
#68xcmon3yx2Posted 12/6/2012 6:26:45 PM
TheGam3925 posted...
With mobile gaming gaining popularity each year and console gaming on the decline it's just a matter of time. Especially now that new smart phones and tablets are coming out each and every year with bigger and better hardware I don't think MS and Sony can afford to greedily milk their next gen consoles for 8+ years, they will be left in the dust way before that.

you're right, but its not mobile gaming that is the threat. Steam is set to be on the top pretty soon here
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/HakudoshiV77360
Let's Play, and Guides
#69TheGam3925(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 7:21:47 PM
SragentThom posted...
Could the people disagreeing with the TC at-least try to present a counter argument instead of saying "lol no"?

Some people find comfort living in denial.
---
360 - The Game 925
PSN - TheGame925
#70SheepinatorPosted 12/6/2012 7:22:27 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
Sheepinator posted...
Define "properly", and do you have any idea how expensive that is? If you mean TV ads, that's very expensive and the target demographic isn't exactly the kind who watches TV never mind watches ads on TV.

Nintendo figured it out years ago, they pick the proper time and place for their ads to hit the full demographics they're after. They advertise directly to specific audiences during specific shows and they're ALWAYS running new TV commercials every 2 to 3 weeks for both their hardware and their games. Sony almost completely dropped the ball on TV advertising, and M$ was only sightly better.

If Nintendo is doing it right, then the industry is screwed. First of all, awareness is easy when everything is called Pokemon, Mario and Zelda. Secondly, have you noticed their stock price has tanked 80% in the last few years? Because their operating margin has tanked from billions in profits to losses.

TheBlueStig posted...
Sheepinator posted...
the issue is they don't want to spend $60 on games unless they have hundreds of hours of play value. Which is unrealistic compared to other forms of discretionary spending such as restaurants, cinema, movies, concerts, etc., but that's the way it's become.

That's gamers getting sick and tired of developer laziness, not wanting to pay $60 for a 5 hour title, and it's the right thing to be doing, voting with their wallets. Developers are banking on multiplayer and DLC to double and triple the cost of the games up to $180 or more and gamers are sick and tired of the shell game.

How long were games 10, 20, 30 years ago, and how expensive were they? Costs have gone up and they haven't been passed on, yet gamers are greedier than ever. But these are the days of the entitlement generation, they mistake wanting everything for free for expecting everything should be free.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.