This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games that feel like a chore

#61AnytePosted 12/6/2012 7:59:57 PM
Mass Effect (the first one)
After the initial mission it felt like it ground to a crawl, and it only got worse once you started going from empty planet to empty planet.

Borderlands 2
Death is swift, and some fights have killed me six times in a row, and yet I kept trying like it's some twisted duty.
#62CyhortI82Posted 12/6/2012 8:00:21 PM
nedrith posted...
FlameDragn posted...
WiiFan77 posted...
el_pajolero posted...
Jrpgs. I absolutely loathe grinding, which most of these games require in order to progress the story.

If you don't suck at the game, you should never have to grind. I can play through most RPGs without grinding (or very little grinding). Many people who don't like JRPGs just suck at them and don't realize that it's possible to win without tons of grinding.

^^^This wins the "most patronizing and over-generalized" statement award.

If you want to just play through a game and barely beat it, then you don't have to grind, BUT most JRPGs require a player to grind to be able to get anything outside of the actual storyline, instead of just making it a natural progression as the game moves along.

Take it light.

I would also like to believe that most experienced gamers would see a boss fight that you just barely beat it to be a really well balanced fight.

Couldn't possibly disagree more. I've been gaming since I was 4 and playing JRPG's since I was 10 so if I'm not an "Experienced Gamer" I don't know who is, and I hate bosses that you just barely beat. It's too stressful and more often than not the "barely" part usually only happens after the third or forth time I've tried to fight it. With fixed save points that are sometimes at the beginning of a dungeon instead of right before the boss or the always fun "hey, you know that one useless character you haven't been leveling up because you never use him? Well he has the one skill that's 100% necessary to beating this non-optional boss. So have fun trying to keep him alive or grinding him for three hours" boss I don't think that's "balanced" at all.

And before you say, "well, you should be leveling up all your characters anyway" THAT'S what people mean when they say JRPG's are grindy. I'd much prefer a game where the difficulty of the boss is based on what level you should be if you're just going through the game doing the story and any additional grinding you want to do only makes it easier, with a few optional super hard bosses thrown in for the "gaming isn't fun unless I'm always dying" masochists.
---
TheTygerfire is the love of my life.
I believe in the Straight Edge Savior and the Mizziah I love DLC :)
#63AugustDreamingPosted 12/6/2012 8:05:04 PM
I've started another file on SMT: Strange Journey recently and that definitely fits into this category >_>. The game's awesome but I'm not having that much fun with it...
---
Poke White FC ( June ) - 1507 1398 3559
http://www.youtube.com/user/AugustDreams
#64Master_M64Posted 12/6/2012 8:10:09 PM
To be honest, in the JRPGs I have played I never HAVE to grind. I wonder if some people could provide examples, because I always hear this...
---
"AND LO! Mackenzie Nettles thusly approached!"- CeliaOfTheSky
http://www.last.fm/user/Mack64
#65SytherantisPosted 12/6/2012 8:13:44 PM
The hilarious thing is that level grinding in JRPGs was originally SUPPOSED to be boring.

When enemies got too easy, it was a way for the game to say "You're wasting your time here, try looking for new areas", and it created game progression as it encouraged you to explore.

Someone along the line, someone got the idea that level grinding, rather than exploration, was the core gameplay mechanic of JRPGs just because it was addictive. So they started building the game around that. Flash forward to today, where the genre is plagued with atrocities like level scaling and linearity, and the original spirit of RPGs has been totally lost.

And don't get me started on the transition from tabletop RPGs to video game RPGs. That would be a ten-page essay.
---
Friends don't let friends buy digital clothes with real money.
#66Devil_wings00Posted 12/6/2012 8:21:40 PM
Sytherantis posted...
The hilarious thing is that level grinding in JRPGs was originally SUPPOSED to be boring.

When enemies got too easy, it was a way for the game to say "You're wasting your time here, try looking for new areas", and it created game progression as it encouraged you to explore.

Someone along the line, someone got the idea that level grinding, rather than exploration, was the core gameplay mechanic of JRPGs just because it was addictive. So they started building the game around that. Flash forward to today, where the genre is plagued with atrocities like level scaling and linearity, and the original spirit of RPGs has been totally lost.

And don't get me started on the transition from tabletop RPGs to video game RPGs. That would be a ten-page essay.

Couldn't agree more with level scaling...what's the point of having levels then? If the boar at the beginning of the game is going to be just as challenging as the giant hell beast at the end no matter what level I am. I always feel like I haven't progressed at all. Linearity doesn't bother me. I hate wandering around aimlessly in giant worlds almost as much as walking down a corridor style linearity. I like linear story but I having the ability to off the beaten path when I feel like it.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#67AsyrafXXIPosted 12/6/2012 8:31:12 PM
I love every GTA including Chinatown Wars, but for GTA IV, it doesn't clicks with me. I don't even enjoy the missions. Playing missions for me was a chore. :/
#68oxenpoxenPosted 12/6/2012 8:38:47 PM
a lot of borderlands side missions. you feel the compulsive need to complete all of them, and when you do, you are hideously over-leveled for the current story mission
---
"Whoo!!" - Augustus Cole
#69dank464Posted 12/6/2012 8:59:46 PM
I thought Infamous was quite a chore to play through. I had fun on the first island for a while but then the missions all started to feel the same. By the time I got to the second island, I felt very disappointed considering all the time I put in to it already. I beat it just so I didn't feel like I put all that time in to the game for nothing.
#70SunDevil77Posted 12/6/2012 9:07:38 PM
Runescape...yet I loved every second of it back in the day.
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.