This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dragons Dogma or Kingdom Of Amalur

#1cactusjac7Posted 12/7/2012 9:32:47 AM
Looking to pick up one of the other. Im really stuck between the two of them. I have heard great things about both games. I really enjoy the Fable/TES series so I think KOA would be a good option but ive heard that Dragons Dogma offers so much more.

Just trying to see which one is the better choice so I figured I would ask here rather then the dedicated board. Hope you all can help me out. Thanks in advance!
---
PSN : Wards922 XBox Gamertag : Daddy Tow
PSO 2....Not changing until the game is in my VITA!!!
#2kidwgmPosted 12/7/2012 9:42:07 AM
I played and completed KOA. Really great game. Has good combat and overall the gameplay is fun. As for DD I like the first 10 hours of it or so and then it just became boring and I having picked it up since.
---
GT: Kid Whimsical 3DS FC: 4811-7436-8881
#3charlton3kPosted 12/7/2012 9:42:28 AM
I really enjoyed KoA over DD, the structure is simpler and easier to follow, such as keeping track of side quests and levelling up etc. It is a lot more colourful, I think due to playing dark souls so much I enjoyed a change of colour and brightness :D, DD is more dark and serious, even a bit tougher. Depends on which you prefer.
#4DieMyBridePosted 12/7/2012 9:44:02 AM
DD is a more challenging game. An incredibly limited fast travel system, you'll be backtracking for the most part. But the combat and depth of creating a character is really great.

Amalur has a great combat system though a bit basic. Much better traveling system compared to DD. It's not really challenging even on the highest difficulty.

I would recommend both though. Amalur gets a better recommendation because i felt the world was better to travel around compared to DD.
---
XboxLive GT:JoeStillLife
#5kidwgmPosted 12/7/2012 9:48:33 AM
Yeah. I think that is what killed DD for me was the travel system. All the time backtracking just wasn't fun especially because you always seemed to encountered the same enemies and the exact same spots.
---
GT: Kid Whimsical 3DS FC: 4811-7436-8881
#6YamaguxhiPosted 12/7/2012 9:52:28 AM
Dragons Dogma is better. IMO. Hated the combat in reckoning.
---
No more Tom foolerey
#7builder111Posted 12/7/2012 9:54:20 AM
I love Dragon's Dogma
#8pakathecatPosted 12/7/2012 9:56:27 AM
I liked KoA well enough, but loved Dragon's Dogma. DD has probably my favorite combat of any game; fighting the oversized stuff in particular is a ton of fun. KoA sort of felt like a chore towards the end-- I'm a person who loves to read lore in games, and I liked KoA's Celtic-themed lore, but NPCs were incredibly wordy and dry and it was one of the rare games where I ended up skipping through conversations instead of reading everything.
#9CyricsServantPosted 12/7/2012 9:58:14 AM
I played DD to completion and loved it. It's not as good as Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, but the boss fights and gameplay were really engrossing.

Bosses are usually huge, towering monstrosities that you have to climb ala Shadows of the Colossus. The fake final boss was probably the most memorable boss fight I've played all year. Also, as far as the gameplay is concerned, I don't think I've ever played a character class in a game quite like the Mystic Knight before. It made for a nice change of pace.

The worst thing about the game is its fast travel system.

As for KoA . . . I'm currently working through it and I'm about 30 hours in. The game looks great visually and some of the sidequests can be fun, especially the House of Ballads quest line, but the game feels incredibly repetitious. The dialogue isn't engaging at all and in many ways the game just feels soulless. While it's not a bad game, I don't think its even on the same level as Fable 3 . . . even if it technically provides a butt load more content.

Of the two, I'd definitely recommend DD. Yeah . . . go with DD.
#10RPG_ApostlePosted 12/7/2012 9:59:13 AM
Don't expect a plot, but DD has amazing combat and you feel like an absolute badass when climbing a gryphon's back and stabbing it while it's flying around. Stellar combat.

KoA has more of a plot, but that plot SUCKS.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Arucard05's blog. Endorsed by me. Since I wrote the only thing worth reading on it.