This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I think people are misunderstanding why many are upset about Walking Dead GOTY

#1all_that_juicePosted 12/8/2012 1:07:48 AM
No, we who are upset about the win have not played Walking Dead, and most of us probably don't watch the show. However, without playing it, we know already it is an ARCADE game, that has EPISODIC DLC, a big no-no for many of us. Not only are we against an arcade game winning GOTY over full $60 retail games, we are also against EPISODIC DLC. We are afraid if award shows start praising games that implement EPISODIC DLC, it could be detrimental to video gaming in the long term as more and more publishers jump on the bandwagon. This has nothing to do with our tastes or our intelligence being "inferior" to yours it is simply a belief that arcade games, especially those with episodic DLC should not be given GOTY awards as we fear this could set a very bad precedent for the future of gaming. Hope you understand the complaints better now and can stop insulting our perceived "inferior" brains. Thank you and good day.
---
isn't hearing technically a dimension? so this should be called the 4DS. - I_Always_Die
#2NightMysticPosted 12/8/2012 1:11:06 AM
So without playing the game you start complaining about something you have no idea what you're talking about....

Smooth.

Play the games and you'll understand. In the mean time stop wasting your breath without educating yourself on the topic.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag - NightMystic
PSN ID - NightMystic
#3ThugETHPosted 12/8/2012 1:13:27 AM
No problem here with an XBLA or PSN game getting goty I do hate obvious cut cash grab DLC though.
If the walking dead disc version was out, would you still have a problem?
Look at Journey, it's up for a grammy or something lol
---
[1:04pm] <R33P3R> how can a game be epic on a phone?
#4all_that_juice(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 1:22:47 AM
Do you not fear that in the future publishers could start exploiting this model to further milk money out of gamers? Like instead of releasing a $60 title, they start releasing it in $5, $10, $15, $20 chunks. Eventually, the "episodes" become more and more frequent, containing less and less content. Games slowly, but surely become more and more expensive, and the publishers get more and more of a chokehold over us. What do you think? Does this not cross your mind at all?
---
isn't hearing technically a dimension? so this should be called the 4DS. - I_Always_Die
#5nonexistingheroPosted 12/8/2012 1:25:07 AM
Except The Walking Dead isn't that great. It's a nice action-adventure game. But that's it. It didn't even deserve to as a mention for GotY, let alone win it.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#6NIN_tendoPosted 12/8/2012 1:25:59 AM
They're releasing a disc version and it wasn't DLC, it was released in episodes. So it's okay if the golden child Valve does it but not someone else? The whole it's an XBLA game thing is just stupid since that has nothing to do with the game's quality which is funny because you already admitted you haven't played it. A topic overflowing with stupid folks...
---
Wii FC 3756-1965-4560-5571
360 GT xX NIN tendo
#7NightMysticPosted 12/8/2012 1:26:54 AM
Not at all. Episodic games can't work for everything. Plus developers are already doing that this generation with DLC. Look at Capcom, they are some of the biggest offenders of that.

Telltale crafted an amazing story that brought an honest and true emotion to gaming, something that is rarely seen. The episodes are well crafted and those that have played it have done nothing but raved about the game.

If a developer does try to go down this route and fails they won't have returning customers. I highly doubt we'll see every developer jump into Episodic gaming.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag - NightMystic
PSN ID - NightMystic
#8vigorm0rtisPosted 12/8/2012 1:32:03 AM
I didn't know anyone was upset. Really, are there 'many' people that are upset?
---
Protip: If you don't see gorilla coming he's already behind you, lotion bottle in hand. --CaPwnd
#9BudWisenheimerPosted 12/8/2012 1:35:17 AM
all_that_juice posted...
Not only are we against an arcade game winning GOTY over full $60 retail games ...

Why?

all_that_juice posted...
Do you not fear that in the future publishers could start exploiting this model to further milk money out of gamers?

Depends ... Are we talking GOTY-quality? I'm not afraid of paying for a great game. If a great game has more great episodes then I'll pay for more. If it stops being great then I'll stop paying.

Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

#10aPimp_named_leEPosted 12/8/2012 1:38:56 AM
lol who in the world gets mad at the VGA's? it doesn't really mean anything. some people have said it's the equivalent of nick's teen choice awards. I am glad that it won because the story alone is one of the best in recent video game history. but no matter which game one, i really couldn't care one way or the other. it's cute to see so many people up in a tissy over this, like it actually proves anything.
---
~I will floss my teeth with your soul~