This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I think people are misunderstanding why many are upset about Walking Dead GOTY

#71shawnmckPosted 12/9/2012 10:52:26 AM
The problem with your anti DLC argument TC is that there is a retail disc version that has the entire game for $30 bucks.
So you don't have to buy it On-line and you DON'T have to rely on episodic content, because there is now a disc version with the entire game on it.

BTW
I myself am anti digital distribution and hate it how you are forced to buy certain games & DLC On-line....but I still would have chosen Walking Dead for GotY because its an excellent game with a superb story & cast of characters.
That, and because all of the other games mentioned I disliked completely, no matter how good they scored.

But if that game Journey would have won, then you would have a point, because it will only be available via DD and it lasts like only 3 hours.

But WD is now on disc and lasts a decent length.
#72delux19Posted 12/9/2012 11:02:35 AM(edited)
lol @ TC acting like he knows what he is talking about, then saying it had DLC. lol, just lol.

It was a $25 dollar game. It was just released in episodes, like a TV show. Right over you head, huh TC?
#73OrgeLambartPosted 12/9/2012 11:04:27 AM
walking dead was amazing bottom line, it had the best story of any game out this year and i'd go further its probably the best story driven game this gen.

Lots of games ignore on the story and expect other things to draw you in TWD was ripe with story and choices, even though it was pretty limited which other game should have gotten GOTY award?
#74FredSavage27Posted 12/9/2012 1:20:20 PM
A better question is why people are acting like the Spike TV Video Game Awards are the undisputed decider for something that's ultimately a matter of opinion.
#75WinternovaPosted 12/9/2012 1:49:30 PM
This has nothing to do with our tastes or our intelligence being "inferior" to yours it is simply a belief that arcade games, especially those with episodic DLC should not be given GOTY awards as we fear this could set a very bad precedent for the future of gaming.

So it IS about your taste and your intelligence being inferior to most living creatures. Thank you for the delicious irony.
---
Psalm 137:9 Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks
#76ScymitePosted 12/9/2012 2:35:07 PM
FredSavage27 posted...
A better question is why people are acting like the Spike TV Video Game Awards are the undisputed decider for something that's ultimately a matter of opinion.

All awards for every medium is a matter of opinion, but contrary to gamefaqs belief, all opinions are NOT equal.
---
"I always found it both amusing and oddly appropriate that the rhetoric of the Information Age ended up being so... binary." -- Time_pants
#77BlueSkies7776Posted 12/9/2012 3:20:24 PM
As is always the case, money talks louder than anything. Developers will only start hopping into this episodic bandwagon if they start selling by millions and millions. It's no different than movies, just because a lower budget movie won Best Picture it doesn't mean every producer in town is going to start making moving in a similar way. Way still have 200 million dollar summer blockbusters being made and every other kind of movie because they sell.

Developers won't stop making big budget games unless they stop selling. Money talks louder than awards.
---
My good movie of the week: "Coraline"
Game of the month: Heavy Rain (PS3)
#78NinjuggalotusPosted 12/9/2012 3:27:04 PM
I want to believe I'm just being trolled by OP.
---
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!"
#79shawnmckPosted 12/9/2012 3:29:35 PM
It should also be pointed out that the same Developer also has other similar type games under their belt, which include Jurassic Park and Back to the Future....neither of which were ever nominated for any type of awards, let alone GoTY....and neither were they any good.
The Walking Dead is their first critically acclaimed and also well-deserved hit (financial success).

In other words, the Walking Dead not only deserves to be nominated, it also deserved to win.

And like some others have already pointed out...the VGA's is not the definitive award's show.
Its all just speculative, and no-one is going to buy the game just because it won an award.
People are going to buy it or not based on its own merits...just like they would any game that gets nominated or wins.
In other words, its a pointless award that does nothing but give the respective game bragging rights...which doesn't really equate to much.
So just take it with a grain of salt.
#80Great_Pudding_3Posted 12/9/2012 3:51:35 PM
IGN GOTY
Gamespot GOTY
Game Informer GOTY
VGA GOTY

etc

Who cares about any of this crap. None are more offical than the next.
---
Stu, what are you doing?