This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

can't connect to wireless

#1English SmokerPosted 12/8/2012 2:58:20 AM
My gf just bought the Xbox360 with the 250gb drive and built in wireless. I can't seem to connect to the internet. PLEASE read all the things I have tried before replying your suggestion.

I've set up IP addresses manually dozens of times but for some reason I can't get this one working.
If I choose Automatic, it tries to assign one of those bogus 169.x.x.x IPs. I put in manually 192.168.0.10 IP, 255.255.255.0 subnet and 192.168.0.1 gateway. (No other devices have the same IP), I tried various other IPs, all within the range specified on my routers DHCP settings.
Still nothing, I tried using the same DNS settings I have on my laptop, (got 2 PCs on this network working fine). I even tried an open DNS, still no luck. I tried resetting the xbox, and the router.
The closest thing I got was the network connected a couple of times, but no internet connection. There didn't seem to be any consistency as to when it connected to the network. Sometimes I changed nothing and it stopped working.
The signal strength is very good, and I definitely have the correct wpa password typed in.
The internet connection does not use PPOE, I don't have any access restrictions on the router.
#2CapwnDPosted 12/8/2012 3:02:53 AM
So it's not DSL? Or it is DSL? If you have DSL the router should be in PPPoE mode.
---
Thrash Zone
#3English Smoker(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 3:13:48 AM
no it's an apartment complex with cable internet going to every room. We just use a router here not a dsl modem.
#4English Smoker(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 3:17:21 AM
i just tried a wired connection, it worked fine automaticall assigning 192.168.0.9, subnet and gateway same as what I was trying earlier, and DNS automatically the same as the gateway. I tried wireless with the same settings, didn't work, it would not even connect to the network
#5CapwnDPosted 12/8/2012 3:25:59 AM(edited)
So you're using a router, and the apartment complex also has a router? That's a double NAT. Do you have to use a router? Or do you do it just to get more devices online? If you use it just for more plugs (and for the WIFI) then you should plug into one of the LAN ports of the router instead of the WAN port of the router.
---
Thrash Zone
#6CapwnDPosted 12/8/2012 3:33:43 AM
But if you do connect the way I described, then you'd want to use firewalls for your PCs to protect them from the other devices on the network.
---
Thrash Zone
#7English Smoker(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 3:54:43 AM
CaPwnD posted...
So you're using a router, and the apartment complex also has a router? That's a double NAT. Do you have to use a router? Or do you do it just to get more devices online? If you use it just for more plugs (and for the WIFI) then you should plug into one of the LAN ports of the router instead of the WAN port of the router.

no i don't have to use a router, I can plug a lan cable directly into the wall. this has nothing to do with my problem since it's established I can connect multiple devices to this router already, and the Xbox cannot even connect to the network, let alone the internet.

Besides which i seem to have solved it. The router has an option for "802.11 Mode :", it was set to n,g and b networks. I switched it to G only, and suddenly the xbox connected. B and G also works.
#8CapwnDPosted 12/8/2012 4:06:38 AM(edited)
no i don't have to use a router, I can plug a lan cable directly into the wall. this has nothing to do with my problem since it's established I can connect multiple devices to this router already, and the Xbox cannot even connect to the network, let alone the internet.

ok ok I'm just telling you what your next problem may be.

Double NAT.
---
Thrash Zone
#9English Smoker(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 7:38:12 AM
CaPwnD posted...

ok ok I'm just telling you what your next problem may be.

Double NAT.

i'm not having any more problems.