This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what shocked you at the spike VGA

#21zerooo0Posted 12/8/2012 11:15:28 AM
That the SouthPark Trailer made the game looked fun.

Also the Phantom Pain trailer was a nice shocker.
---
The Phantom Pain= FLAMING LAND WHALE!!!!!!
#22GrandMast3rPosted 12/8/2012 11:42:29 AM
kill_distroy posted...
The phantom pain being a metal gear solid trailer in disguise

^This
#23EZ_711Posted 12/8/2012 12:08:45 PM
BlueJester007 posted...
The amount of people displeased with Walking Dead winning GotY.

This.

Blah blah yes I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but why is it worth getting mad about? Do people hate good games? I've had my fill of misery this week reading all the hate being slung around recently.
#24UrbanMessiahPosted 12/8/2012 12:56:29 PM
Dishonored over Sleeping Dogs as best Action Game...love the both of them, but the way Dishonored penalizes you for going more action than stealth makes it need to take a bow to Sleeping Dogs in terms of pure action, IMO. Also, I was shocked to find myself much more interested in The Last Of Us and while not disgusted by the fact The Walking Dead won GOTY, I was totally shocked. Finally, I was shocked at how damn hot Jessica Alba still is. Woof. -=)
---
"Every morning I wake up, I put one foot on the ground & the other up the ass of a 12 year-old Indonesian girl."
#25StrataElitePosted 12/8/2012 1:34:49 PM
Not a damn thing.
#26DavCubePosted 12/8/2012 2:35:08 PM
I'm shocked that even a few people treat Spike's Awards with any amount of reverence, given how much they **** on what they think its audience is supposed to be. The only reason people watch it anymore is for the trailers. It's a glorified mini-E4All.
---
http://backloggery.com/davcube
#272DshmuploverPosted 12/8/2012 3:36:52 PM
Pretty much ever single result shocked me if I'm honest, Horizon should of won driving game of the year too, NFS MW was pants.
---
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.
GT: cloudskipa
#28rdking96Posted 12/8/2012 4:34:51 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
I was referring to the atmosphere, the feeling that at any time a spicer could come running at you from nowhere, you felt alone, abandoned...

Infinite doesn't seem to have that. I'm not saying Infinite looks to be a terrible game. Just not what I was hoping for in a sequel.

I get where you're coming from. I think the ultimate feeling of oppression came from the setting. Being in a city underwater.

The setting was deeply symbolic with the water creeping in here and there, suggesting the sea trying to claim the land back and erase Rapture completely. The fact there was no getting out. A lot of games have that "Why don't you just walk away?" feel to them, soemthing Silent Hill keeps suffering from these days. There's no reason why the protagonist wouldn't just jump the fense at the first sign of trouble and run the hell away.

Rapture kept you trapped and forced you to face everything that came at you. It's one reason why Bioshock 2 failed, actively throwing you into the sea to have a little walk around. The sea was meant to be an ever present nemesis, trying to claw through to you. Suddenly going out for a pleasent little stroll completely eliminates any dread from it.

Setting it in the sky can't have that same effect. The sky can't really reclaim the area and seep into the city. You can have things break down and plummet to earth, but that woul feel more like natural lack of maintenence. I think the designer is smart enough to understand all this though and will have different ways of getting into your head.
I've honestly not followed Infinite very much, I've seen the occasional trailer and I will buy it. but I want things to be mostly a surprise.

While I like your analysis and agree with some of it, I must say that it isn't easy for the protagonist to just "walk away" in this installment either. Thus, some of these desired elements of yours will still hold true to past bioshock themes.

Also going back to the original posters qualms about Bioshock - you will still face some scary, and helpless situations. I am not sure which clips they showed, for I didn't watch the Spike VGAs (I never watch Spike is probably a better way to phrase that :P), but there are some videos online that show scenes where one should be scared ****less. I felt the same as you at first, but after I watched a scene of the protagonist in a bar, I was sold. All the characters look at him with disdain and look as if they're ready to rip his throat out at any second!

Anywho, if it's near as good as BioShock then it will still be better than 75% of the games that have come out this generation!
---
"If life gives you melons...you might be dyslexic."
360 Gamertag: The Sticky Emu
#29hak145Posted 12/8/2012 4:37:49 PM
definitely dark souls II. that annoucment made my day.
---
Gamertag XL:CRAZYjump
Winner: Dark Souls
#30LIsJusticePosted 12/8/2012 4:46:04 PM
Phantom Pain really being a tease for MGS5
Dark Souls 2
---
Won't change this sig until Alan Wake 2 is announced- Started 3/11/12