This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

RobotSquad: Why You Should Play The Walking Dead

#121BlueJester007Posted 12/9/2012 9:01:54 AM(edited)
darkhare posted...
BlueJester007 posted...
Compare this to Walking Dead. The player can walk away knowing that they did the best they could to keep Clementime safe at the cost of their own life. And that's what Lee's main motivation was: to keep Clementime safe at any cost. He died knowing that Clementine could defend herself and survive by herself like an adult. He was a good father figure.

And unlike Mass Effect 3 or MGS4, this game series is not even over yet.

dude cover up your spoilers, even though i dont think it was intentional its still not cool.

Oh, play the game already.
---
Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can f*** off.
#122darkharePosted 12/9/2012 8:58:35 AM
BlueJester007 posted...
darkhare posted...
BlueJester007 posted...
Arucard05 posted...
This is what Mass Effect 3 failed to do on every level.

I like Bioware, but the way they've always handled "choice" is almost cute in its lack of ambition.

It just seems like they got lazier and lazier with each installment. By the time I was at the end of Wrex's Tuchanka mission in 3, I was saddened because I had the horrible feeling that this massive event, this absolutely game changing event, would not matter in the long run. You can imagine my displeasure when I got to the ending choice.

The Metal Gear Solid series is not the same genre, but the way it ended its story should be standard: Tie up all loose ends and let the player know they have accomplished something. What happens at the end of Mass Effect 3? Absolutely nothing. Oh sure, Reapers are destroyed and so are the Geth (which effectively contradicts the whole Tali side mission), made human, or controlled, but you don't actually feel any satisfaction for doing it. You did not complete the mission: Stop the Reapers.What a waste of my time.

Compare this to Walking Dead. The player can walk away knowing that they did the best they could to keep Clementime safe at the cost of their own life. And that's what Lee's main motivation was: to keep Clementime safe at any cost. He died knowing that Clementine could defend herself and survive by herself like an adult. He was a good father figure.

And unlike Mass Effect 3 or MGS4, this game series is not even over yet.

dude cover up your spoilers, even though i dont think it was intentional its still not cool.

Oh, play the game already.

i already finished the game i was referring to those that havent..

---
i dont wanna work, i just wanna bang on my drum all day..
#123pothocketPosted 12/9/2012 9:00:48 AM
darkhare posted...
pothocket posted...
I really like Walking Dead and think it's an important step towards the future of interactive entertainment, but I don't know if it should be game of the year. The actual core risk/reward gameplay of making choices is a NULL ZERO CHOICE. It doesn't matter what you choose.

The "adventuring" gameplay of clicking on stuff was simple and well done, and also a clever way of implementing QTEs without really feeling like QTEs. However, it's talking to people and how you react to events that's the heart of the gameplay, and I think it was a huge mistake to make all choices the right choice.

If the core gameplay is an illusion of choice it's not a game, it's interactive entertainment and should not have have been game of the year.

looking at the game from the outside, the choices really dont matter. but experiencing the story and making a choice within the game in the heat of the moment, almost every choice walks the line of life and death. that imo is what makes the game so great. if you choose to shatter the illusion for yourself thats fine, but dont force others too.

That's true. The essemce of gaming is ' a series of interesting choices', and in the heat of the moment TWD does a great job of giving you interesting choices.

I guess giving GotY to TWD would be like having a magician win a talent show, you can't deny him his win just because he faked the magic and it was all a trick.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#124BlueJester007Posted 12/9/2012 9:01:18 AM(edited)
darkhare posted...
i already finished the game i was referring to those that havent..

I know. My statement was also directed at those that haven't. Those who are reading the posts.

*I'm looking at you random internet user. You with funny face. Play The Walking Dead*
---
#125Arucard05Posted 12/9/2012 9:23:32 AM
I'm waiting for the retail copy!
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Go there now! Or don't. Whatever man.
#126LaManoNeraIIPosted 12/9/2012 10:16:49 AM
CaPwnD posted...
It's a hypothetical question.

TWD does nothing new, nothing better than the competition, offers less content, and has a pricing model that most gamers complain about else where. It's not GOTY material. It barely qualifies as a "game". Just how commercials don't qualify as movies.

You are still looking at it with an analytical point of view, not a gamers point of view. A game has an identity. A personality. A philosophy.

What you are talking about is semantics. Budgets. Number of sales. In the gaming world, that is just arbitrary zeros and ones.

You. Are arbitrary zeros and ones on your little gamefaqs account crying about how TWD isn't a game. Meanwhile, real gamers are having a s*** bunch of fun playing a game that you will never experience. And even if you did experience it and you don't like it, you are unable to comprehend what it means to the gamers who love that game.

That is why you are so foolish in this topic.

Nope

I never mentioned arbitrary numbers or sales. Where did you get that?

Anyway, game = gameplay. TWD has none. Point and click adventures were a product born from limited technology and budget. They're easy to make. There's a reason they died. Developers started being able to make real adventures.

How you can put TWD on the same level as games like Half Life 2, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption, the Witcher 2, etc. is pretty baffling. It's no more "interactive entertainment" than those old choose your own adventure books you can buy for 5 cents at a church sale.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#127Arucard05Posted 12/9/2012 10:20:08 AM
Anyone interested in the Adventure genre needs to watch this video. It's pretty enlightening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re_LWmRJK-g
---
A place where things happen. Sometimes awesome things.
#128CapwnDPosted 12/9/2012 10:34:18 AM(edited)
Arucard05 posted...
(B)lue(S)tig

;)

Ah. Well, technically it would be TBS.

TBS: Not Very Funny.
---
Thrash Zone
#129BlueJester007Posted 12/9/2012 10:29:01 AM
CaPwnD posted...
Arucard05 posted...
(B)lue(S)tig

;)

Ah. Well, technically it would be TBS.

TBS: Not Very Funny.

Oh s***. I completely forgot about the TV station. I don't watch TV all that regularly.
---
#130Arucard05Posted 12/9/2012 11:06:40 AM
Good read.

http://www.ign.com/blogs/kamicasey/2012/12/08/the-walking-dead-and-why-the-vgas-matter/

So let's get this straight.

A downloadable, licensed, episodic, point and click adventure game that you can play on almost every platform - including your iPhone - with an African American male antihero lead character, won Game of the Year? A game from a team of 30-some people? A game with no multiplayer, no pre-order bonuses, and no particle effects? A game that has no qualms about killing off lead characters, and that makes it's ever-increasing player base openly weep? And most importantly, a game with no big marketing dollars, no big PR agency, and until recently no presence at brick and mortar?

How is this possible?

Gaming is maturing and the VGA's are reflecting that finally.
---
A place where things happen. Sometimes awesome things.