This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So is Fallout 3/Skyrim/Oblivion Action RPG's or RPG first person ?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. So is Fallout 3/Skyrim/Oblivion Action RPG's or RPG first person ?
3 years ago#1
Games like Mass effect here at GF's are titled:

Xbox 360 Role-Playing Action RPG

Games like Fallout 3/Skyrim/Oblivion titled here as

Xbox 360 Role-Playing First-Person

When you click on a game title right under the name you will see what I'm talking about.

Anyway I always thought Skyrims/fallouts/OB and mass effect's were all action rpg's. So were they just miss classified ? Does mass effect seem more action like then the other games I mentioned ?
---
Dust collecting Wii's sold more consoles but don't mean nothing,
Play any Skyrim,COD,GOW,SF4,MK,GT5,FORZA,MassEf,Gears,DarkS,BF3,RE5,Portal..No didn't think so
3 years ago#2
you can play all 3 games in either first or third person, first person isnt its own genre.
---
i dont wanna work, i just wanna bang on my drum all day..
3 years ago#3
So there all action RPG's then ?
---
Dust collecting Wii's sold more consoles but don't mean nothing,
Play any Skyrim,COD,GOW,SF4,MK,GT5,FORZA,MassEf,Gears,DarkS,BF3,RE5,Portal..No didn't think so
3 years ago#4
Kano92 posted...

i personaly consider them action/adventure games with rpg elements, but thats just me.
---
3 years ago#5
Kano92 posted...

i personaly consider them action/adventure games with rpg elements, but thats just me.

...How exactly?
Oh wait, Darkhare...it can't be an RPG if it has guns. I forget.

Personally, I think they're RPGs. And that's it.
I don't classify Baldurs Gate as an isometric sword and scorcery RPG. I don't consider Mass Effect a third person shooter RPG.

I suppose if I was going to say anything I'd say they were WRPGs.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
3 years ago#6
havn't played the others but as far as fallout 3 goes, I don't consider it much action. the VATS system is pretty much a necessity and takes all the action out of the game. it basically pasues things while you choose to target body parts instead of letting you directly control the action. Yes you can play without the system, but you are needlessly handicapping yourself.
---
There are only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
3 years ago#7
I would say "WRPG" but honestly there isn't a real answer here. You can argue that they aren't first person because the camera is a user option. You can argue that they're more first person shooter than rpg in gameplay, but then you have rpg options like pausing the game and auto-hitting body parts and rpg based stats and mechanics. The correct answer here, like most things, is not to worry about what labels to slap on.

^New vegas made it a lot more shooter friendly, with aim-down sights mechanics and more FPS focus.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
3 years ago#8
Dragon Nexus posted...
Kano92 posted...

...How exactly?
Oh wait, Darkhare...it can't be an RPG if it has guns. I forget.

Personally, I think they're RPGs. And that's it.
I don't classify Baldurs Gate as an isometric sword and scorcery RPG. I don't consider Mass Effect a third person shooter RPG.

I suppose if I was going to say anything I'd say they were WRPGs.

one day you might actually ask the question without the smart-ass remark, if that day ever comes you might actually get a real answer from me.
---
3 years ago#9
All of those games that were listed can be first or third person, depending on preference. However, shooting guns in fallout or arrows/magic is more difficult in third person in my opinion so I usually stick to first person in combat.
---
San Diego Downhill Racing League! Bottom of the hill for glory, death on the hill for honor!
3 years ago#10
one day you might actually ask the question without the smart-ass remark, if that day ever comes you might actually get a real answer from me.

One day I might actually care what you think...
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox 360
  3. So is Fallout 3/Skyrim/Oblivion Action RPG's or RPG first person ?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived