This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So I hate fantastically difficult games. Will DS2 have a easy mode?

#11Marnex15Posted 12/8/2012 6:16:54 PM
Pwnostar posted...
Without its difficulty, Dark Souls would just be a mediocre WRPG with hardly any story whatsoever.

Amazing atmosphere
Unique art style
Great combat mechanics
Interesting lore
Diverse world locations
Non-linear game-play
Unique online system

I wouldn't say it would be a mediocre WRPG without its difficulty. The difficulty is one of its main attractions, but it's not the only thing it's got going for it.
---
Official Lord of the Wiinet of LoZ: Skyward Sword | www.zeldawtwii.proboards.com
#12knightimexPosted 12/8/2012 9:42:28 PM
Step 1: Buy on PC
Step 2: Trainer
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Enjoy
---
Old School Games FTW!
#13knightimexPosted 12/8/2012 9:44:25 PM
Dark Souls could have sold a LOT better if it had catered to the masses.

What ever happened to easiest easy normal hard hardest?
Something developers find lol "too hard" to implement?
---
Old School Games FTW!
#14Silent Sniper IVPosted 12/8/2012 9:46:08 PM
knightimex posted...

Given the nature of the pvp and co-op, I would really want the lobbies to be difficulty gated.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#15cup_a_soupPosted 12/9/2012 1:13:39 AM
knightimex posted...

Urgh. I really hope From Software doesn't cater to you people. I hated how games have multiple difficulties these days, including the likes of Tomb Raider.
#16_SCOTSLADPosted 12/9/2012 3:02:53 AM
knightimex posted...

Look what happened to Ninja Gaiden 3 catering to the masses.

A poor button mashing experience, with added qte's!

The only thing Dark Souls really suffers from is what Silent Sniper IV posted

" it's *misleading* and doesn't explain it's mechanics, thats all. "

That is all.

The fight to ring the first bell, you can use two npc summons to kill them you do not have to swing a hit at all. How is that hard ?
---
"I just heard a *FUMP* sound, like that of a billion fanboy heads exploding in unison."
#17nonexistingheroPosted 12/9/2012 3:22:55 AM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
I do recall reading that they were going to make the mechanics less misleading though, so you don't have players doing dumb stuff like leveling resistance.

To me it seemed like giving players more of a playing direction. Dark Souls 2 started you off in a world after the prison section with no hints on where to go. With some trial and error you're sure to find out, but there were still plenty of people who didn't realize that until later (and for example, first making their way through the catacombs because they're too stubborn to check out other places first).

I kinda loved how they left it up to the players to figure it out though... I'll just hope you'll still have choice in DS2, rather than just be thrown on a linear path. Like... have an optimal path the developers can help you with (in terms of scaling difficulty), but just being able to create your own path (so if you want to explore non-rookie areas first, you're free to do so).
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#18nonexistingheroPosted 12/9/2012 3:27:37 AM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
Yeah, dark souls isn't hard at all. it's *misleading* and doesn't explain it's mechanics, thats all. Once you understand how poise, stability, and other mechanics works it's exceedingly easy to run through the game at level 1 with basically starter gear.

False. It's still a hard game. I've beaten games such as Devil May Cry on Dante Must Die and Ninja Gaiden games on Master Ninja, but I still die quite a few times whenever I play through Dark Souls normally. Even if you level up, a single mistake can easily cost you your life. When fighting, you not only need to know enemy tactics, you also need to have great timing, planning and need to make sure as few enemies as possible are bothering you.

Of course, it's not as hard as DMC and NG on the hardest difficulties, I simply mentioned them to show I'm not a complete noob and have done way harder stuff in games.

A game doesn't magically become easy after you've ran through it a million times. It just means your that good at it.
---
#19nonexistingheroPosted 12/9/2012 3:30:38 AM
knightimex posted...

Problem with this is that not all games work like that. The easiest way to make a game harder is to increase damage you get and damage you do. Dark Souls isn't just hard in terms of combat, but the whole design. So to make it easier, they would need to change the entire game. And to be honest, I'm usually not very happy with games that are only hard because of damage levels, rather than design.

Most of the best hard games are hard because they were designed to be hard to begin with.
---
#20LapanuiPosted 12/9/2012 3:36:55 AM
It put me off on when I got it on release. I was stuck, I sucked and it took me ages to find out how to get to the second bonfire...

Played it again in July, I just had to urge to play something and Dark Souls was the game I picked. Because I knew not to go down to the skeletons and I knew how to get to the second bonfire, it took me less time to get there. I died less, got better and fought the Taurus Demon for the first time, died a couple of times, but managed to defeat it.

The Capra Demon was where I got stuck the longest amount of time. Just couldn't come up with a technique to beat him. Managed to enchant my weapon with fire and went at him a few times, but failed. Leveled up a bit more, upgraded my equipment, practiced and managed to beat him.

Sen's Fortress was also a pain, but managed to get past that and the boss was a pain lol. Got to Anor Londo and managed to get to Archers and I got stuck there... Need to go back and get Ring of Fog to get passed them...
---
Intel i7 930 @ 3.2GHz, Zalman CNPS10X Extreme, EVGA x58 FTW Motherboard, Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3, EVGA GTX 570, Corsair HX 650W Modular PSU.
GT: Zichu