This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

IMO, Max Payne 3 was the best single player game of the year

#31SixStringHeroPosted 12/8/2012 9:55:45 PM
Max Payne 3 is amazing. I have been a huge fan of Max Payne and The Fall of Max Payne and this was a worthy addition to the Max Payne name. The game was insanely detailed and had some of the most smooth, visceral and best gun play of any TPS this gen.

How a 2 hour game where you run through a desert the nomination for GOTY at the VGAs over this game is beyond me.
---
I don't care about the altitude, I just want another drink.
#32Perfect LightPosted 12/8/2012 10:25:08 PM
Sequels to beloved franchises always work like this:
Change too much = "BETRAYING THE FANS!!! It's a good game but it's not a real (insert game) game!!!1!!1"
Change too little = "OMG it's just (insert game) 1.5 they didn't change anything!"

Devs can never win. Gamers are seriously the biggest whiners on the planet.
---
youtube.com/sciencebytes, learn something new
#33Master_M64Posted 12/8/2012 10:26:34 PM
vormis posted...
Vivi0198 posted...
I did not like it one bit. As a huge fan of 1 and 2 the third was a big disappointment. The story and characters were awful and I hated the setting.

Max Payne 3 may be the biggest disappointment for me all gen.

I am going to have to agree with this. It's hard for me to believe that someone who loved the first two games would have loved the 3rd. It's not that it wasn't a good game, it just wasn't a Max Payne game in my eyes.

I liked the first two games, but I think Max Payne 3 was a great evolution of action mechanics and Euphoria worked perfectly with the game's setup. People complain about cover shooting, but I never used cover. I just kept diving, exactly like in the other 2 games. I liked Max in this game too. He was p. sweet. I feel that Max Payne 1 & 2 fans are some of the more nostalgic gamers there are, which is strange because the games aren't that old.
---
"AND LO! Mackenzie Nettles thusly approached!"- CeliaOfTheSky
http://www.last.fm/user/Mack64
#34SythisTaruPosted 12/8/2012 10:37:45 PM
SixStringHero posted...
Max Payne 3 is amazing. I have been a huge fan of Max Payne and The Fall of Max Payne and this was a worthy addition to the Max Payne name. The game was insanely detailed and had some of the most smooth, visceral and best gun play of any TPS this gen.

How a 2 hour game where you run through a desert the nomination for GOTY at the VGAs over this game is beyond me.

Wow wow, hold on. Max Payne 3 is in my top 5 games of the year, and I loved the first two also (I feel 3 is the best though), but Journey is like game of the decade.
#35DesulatedPosted 12/8/2012 11:03:11 PM
Great game, it felt like a movie but it didn't slow down the action one bit.
---
"Command and Conquer 4 and Red Alert 3 sucking is the fault of Westwood."-Gaming King
Auto heal is a gimmick for amateurs.
#36illmatic009Posted 12/8/2012 11:31:30 PM
Agreed and its also one of my favorite games this gen..
---
Loco-Motive
http://www.xboxgamertag.com/gamercard/illmatic009/fullnxe/card.png
#37nonexistingheroPosted 12/8/2012 11:44:18 PM
It's not even the best 3rd person shooter. Kid Icarus: Uprising >>>>>>>>>>> Max Payne 3.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#38HMXTaylor_LeePosted 12/8/2012 11:56:42 PM
I'm surprised that this didn't get a nod for Game of the Year at those fancy VGA's.

Comparing it to the Walking Dead, which is now the standard that all games of 2012 need to be compared to...

At times, Max Payne 3 is more of an interactive movie than a game, where you spend more time watching stuff than actually playing. That's a plus, right?

The controls were tighter than TWD. Gunplay was better too. There were even point and click sections (such as jumping out of the window in the nightclub)!

The visuals are unquestionably more detailed in Max Payne 3, although one could argue with complete merit that it's a stylistic choice (TWD's cartoony style versus MP3's gritty, neon-hazed, realism).

Audio... It's a tough one. Voice Over's in the Walking Dead were phenomenal, though James McCaffrey as Max had all the dry, heavy-handed cynicism one could ask for. This is really up to music, because both of the title's vocal performances were spectacular.

Replayability - Max Payne 3 has 5 difficulties, a score based arcade mode, a time-trial-esque mode, and Multiplayer. The Walking Dead has a number of choices that you can make differently. In my opinion, Max Payne 3 offered far more content, even with the Multiplayer excluded (given this is, after all, a single player thread).

Story - I thought Max Payne 3's story of attempted redemption in a desperate man struggling with addiction, loss, and guilt was (although not the most original) very well told. The Walking Dead was yet another zombie apocalypse game, but it had arguably the most emotive script and delivery seen this generation.

Meh... this is difficult.
#39doraemonllh1989Posted 12/9/2012 12:10:50 AM
Vivi0198 posted...
I did not like it one bit. As a huge fan of 1 and 2 the third was a big disappointment. The story and characters were awful and I hated the setting.

Max Payne 3 may be the biggest disappointment for me all gen.

THIS X 10000
---
my grammar sucks and i dont care
disappointing game of the year = re6 (6.5/10)
#40RetroFanGirlPosted 12/9/2012 12:33:21 AM
flagg2kplus posted...
Looks like TC hasnt played The Walking Dead yet.

overrated
---
Only my opinion is valid.
Confirmed by SunDevil77