This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

9 Year Old Girl getting 360 for Christmas

#101aamotPosted 12/11/2012 1:42:38 AM
Minecraft is on XBOX Live Arcade now. I'd consider picking that up for her. I've heard they were going to make a disc-release, but I have no idea if it's been done yet.
---
chrisAAMO
#102BlueJester007Posted 12/11/2012 8:19:45 AM
CTImp posted...
Topics like this always surprise me. As a child my parents never took steps to shield me from most forms of mature content, nor did they with my younger brother. Growing up most of my friends played M rated games and watch R rated movies long before the suggested age too. Yet, on a gaming forum, that I would think would bring in a younger and less strict demographic, the prevailing opinion always seems to be that kids should only experience PG content.

What would I get a 9 year old? Good games. Halo, Mass Effect, Lego games, Nuts & Bolts, or even better the stuff that you enjoy as well.

Best post so far.

I stand by my original statement. Get her The Walking Dead.
---
Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can f*** off.
#103Lord_TenseEyePosted 12/11/2012 8:43:48 AM
Little Big Planet....oh wait.
#104kyleh614Posted 12/11/2012 8:44:53 AM
Saints Row 2 and 3
#105_OujiDoza_Posted 12/11/2012 8:55:30 AM
Lord_TenseEye posted...
Little Big Planet....oh wait.

O no U di-int
---
GT: PrinceDoZeR
http://is.gd/vVHjV1
#106pothocketPosted 12/11/2012 9:01:52 AM
BlueJester007 posted...
CTImp posted...
Topics like this always surprise me. As a child my parents never took steps to shield me from most forms of mature content, nor did they with my younger brother. Growing up most of my friends played M rated games and watch R rated movies long before the suggested age too. Yet, on a gaming forum, that I would think would bring in a younger and less strict demographic, the prevailing opinion always seems to be that kids should only experience PG content.

What would I get a 9 year old? Good games. Halo, Mass Effect, Lego games, Nuts & Bolts, or even better the stuff that you enjoy as well.

Best post so far.

I stand by my original statement. Get her The Walking Dead.

Parenting, don't tell other people how to do it. If they don't want their 9 year old daughter having sex or casually swearing while playing a game, you have to respect that.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#107pakathecatPosted 12/11/2012 9:20:30 AM
As a 12 yr old (or thereabouts) girl, I saw Mortal Kombat for the first time in an arcade, walked up just in time to see Sub-Zero's spine-ripping fatality. It freaked me out a bit, but main reaction- "COOL!!"

Anyways, not all kids like I was (though I still have pink controllers!), so some safer recommendations-

Minecraft
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
The Monkey Island games
Bejeweled 3
Bastion (on No-Sweat mode, anybody can enjoy it)
Viva Pinata - Though in fairness, while very age-appropriate in content, the strategy can be deceptively deep, maybe too much for some children.
Bully - None of the content is THAT bad, some coarse humor and some violence but no killing and sexual content is limited to dating and kissing. It is a pretty easy game, and quite funny at times.
#108Lewis_BlackPosted 12/11/2012 9:26:13 AM
pothocket posted...
Parenting, don't tell other people how to do it. If they don't want their 9 year old daughter having sex or casually swearing while playing a game, you have to respect that.

And you think sheltering a child is respectable?
---
I'm the greatest ****er here! And you sniveling ****s would die without me! Ahahaha!
#109JordansgstringPosted 12/11/2012 9:31:19 AM
My little girl is 6, I've got her epic mikey 2, sonic transformed racing and dance central 3, all varied games and definitely suitable for a 9 year old. Plus you can co-op with her on them
#110pothocketPosted 12/11/2012 9:34:30 AM(edited)
Lewis_Black posted...
pothocket posted...

And you think sheltering a child is respectable?

And you think parenting is a binary job, ether letting them have everything or nothing?

Or do you not know what "shelter" means? lol, child we have a house to shelter us from the outside world, that means you're never allowed to leave the house ever.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson