This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

9 Year Old Girl getting 360 for Christmas

#111Lewis_BlackPosted 12/11/2012 8:45:56 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#112Lewis_BlackPosted 12/11/2012 8:48:15 AM
pothocket posted...
And you think parenting is a binary job, ether letting them have everything or nothing?

Or do you not know what "shelter" means? lol, child we have a house to shelter us from the outside world, that means you're never allowed to leave the house ever.

Who said anything about letting my child having nothing?

If you think hiding your child from blood or curse words means you are a good parent, you are sadly mistaken.

If they were 5 yes, because they wouldn't even understand what you are talking about.
By the time I was 9, I already knew how babies were made, how marijuana is actually not that bad as the school system likes to show you, how alcohol is worse than marijuana, how Santa Clause and all the other holiday creatures weren't real, how bad the real world is outside my house.

Violence did not affect me. Neither did seeing sex. You don't see me running out side committing multiple homicides or humping everything, do ya? No.
Although I saw the stuff at a young age, my parents had some actual brains to let me know that doing this stuff in socially unacceptable ways would be horrible for me. In other words, they taught me right from wrong. I understood it. And since girls mature faster than boys, the TC's daughter can damn well learn this stuff too and end up as a socially acceptable human being.

The notion that seeing blood and guts or hearing curse words at a young age is going to somehow hurt the child's psyche is bogus. The only time it does is when the parent's fail at making the child understand what all that stuff is. Being a "good" parent is not easy, but being a knowledgeable and caring parent is.
---
I'm the greatest ****er here! And you sniveling ****s would die without me! Ahahaha!
#113BlueJester007Posted 12/11/2012 8:50:07 AM
Well, this has escalated quickly.
---
Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can f*** off.
#114pothocketPosted 12/11/2012 8:56:50 AM
Lewis_Black posted...
pothocket posted...
And you think parenting is a binary job, ether letting them have everything or nothing?

Or do you not know what "shelter" means? lol, child we have a house to shelter us from the outside world, that means you're never allowed to leave the house ever.

Who said anything about letting my child having nothing?

If you think hiding your child from blood or curse words means you are a good parent, you are sadly mistaken.

If they were 5 yes, because they wouldn't even understand what you are talking about.
By the time I was 9, I already knew how babies were made, how marijuana is actually not that bad as the school system likes to show you, how alcohol is worse than marijuana, how Santa Clause and all the other holiday creatures weren't real, how bad the real world is outside my house.

Violence did not affect me. Neither did seeing sex. You don't see me running out side committing multiple homicides or humping everything, do ya? No.
Although I saw the stuff at a young age, my parents had some actual brains to let me know that doing this stuff in socially unacceptable ways would be horrible for me. In other words, they taught me right from wrong. I understood it. And since girls mature faster than boys, the TC's daughter can damn well learn this stuff too and end up as a socially acceptable human being.

The notion that seeing blood and guts or hearing curse words at a young age is going to somehow hurt the child's psyche is bogus. The only time it does is when the parent's fail at making the child understand what all that stuff is. Being a "good" parent is not easy, but being a knowledgeable and caring parent is.

This guy:

Insists you respect the way he was raised.

Dismisses the way you were raised.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#115Lewis_BlackPosted 12/11/2012 9:10:12 AM
pothocket posted...
This guy:

More like dismissing the way you specifically was raised. Don't try and make this any more than you or I.
I don't respect parents who think hiding their children from aspects of the real world is going to somehow benefit their child.

What did your mom and dad tell you when you asked "Where do babies come from?" The stork, right?

I rest my case.
---
I'm the greatest ****er here! And you sniveling ****s would die without me! Ahahaha!
#116Megaman_Crazy(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2012 9:18:16 AM
for the 3rd time in this thread, I'm not a parent. I'm not parenting. That is my parents job. She is my sister, My parents know and understand games, If they want to allow her to play T/M rated games, they can.

I do agree with a lot of what you guys are playing. Grew up on NES/GEN.

At her age I had a PS1 with Tekken, Tomba, Spyro, Crash, Mega Man, Tony Hawk, and NFL Blitz.

It's not a matter of games being kiddy, before this she hasn't touched anything other then a wii remote. I'm going for simple adventure games like the Lego Series, and puzzle games that make you think like Portal 1, because I feel that they are a good gateway into the gaming world.

With that being said. if anyone reads into the thread and notices this post what else can we recommend?
---
AWS Brawl: Rockband DLC: ~1350
#117pothocketPosted 12/11/2012 9:22:01 AM
Lewis_Black posted...
pothocket posted...
This guy:

More like dismissing the way you specifically was raised. Don't try and make this any more than you or I.
I don't respect parents who think hiding their children from aspects of the real world is going to somehow benefit their child.

What did your mom and dad tell you when you asked "Where do babies come from?" The stork, right?

I rest my case.

A: Please don't tell me how I was raised because I never said anything about that.

B: Yes, you are dismissing everyone else's parenting except your own.

C: There's different levels of protection (remember, parenting isn't binary). There's a hell of a lot of difference between a game that has a few swears and the Walking Dead which is non-stop casual swearing.

There's different types of swearing. There's a difference between between swearing because you're suddenly hurt or angry, and swearing as part of your everyday vocabulary. Apparently I have to explain this to you because your parents never did. Go figure.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#118BDzaPosted 12/11/2012 9:28:33 AM
Megaman_Crazy posted...
With that being said. if anyone reads into the thread and notices this post what else can we recommend?

Hmm, I have 2 boys (11 & 14) and they really like Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I have fun playing along with them since I can point out the nods to games from back in my younger days. They are both big fans of the Lego (Batman, Jones, & Star Wars ones) games too so since you were thinking of getting those I figured I would suggest Scot Pilgrim to to you.
---
<G>A Brother who always helps the widow's son; are you a traveling man too?<G>
Addicted to->Xenoblade
#119NYEMPosted 12/11/2012 10:12:58 AM
If it comes with Kinect, Dance Central for sure.
---
Dubstep sounds like two Transformers trying to rape each other with dial up modems. And I like it lol.
#120BlueJester007Posted 12/11/2012 10:26:31 AM
This topic went places.
---
Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can f*** off.