This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dark Souls....is....amazing. But it DEF needs an easy mode.

#51CammyApplePosted 12/13/2012 9:31:36 AM
Decreasing enemy parameters would take away from the main game? Its a section of code that could be written in less than a day by a single person. ~ If anything it's the "whiney" "hardcore" players that are ruining games.
#52vashtrichamPosted 12/13/2012 9:34:10 AM(edited)
Quote:Decreasing enemy parameters would take away from the main game? Its a section of code that could be written in less than a day by a single person. ~ If anything it's the "whiney" "hardcore" players that are ruining games.
@CammyApple
Wow really it takes alot more than that to change the difficulty of a game especially when your trying to correctly balance all the difficulties. Go back to your iphone

---
#53CammyApplePosted 12/13/2012 9:37:10 AM
Clamshell phone. But I digress. That is all it would take. You make enemies in an easy mode have less life and do less damage. Boom simple code. As I said it seems you are worried more people would be able to finish the game. Nothing more.
#54EGMRULZPosted 12/13/2012 9:37:44 AM
ntsouls posted...
If you havent played this game. It's...bloody amazing. It's like Zelda meets Ico's atmosphere. Everything looks amazing. And you just keep going and going and discovering new stuff. It's like...what Diablo 3 wouldve been if Blizzard tried something inventive.
I cheat(like hardcore cheating..maxxed stats nearly infinite health(but no infinite), infinite stamina....and that's about it...plus like a hundred sacrifice rings and healing bottles,
But even though I cheat. I get killed . I couldn't imagine playing the game normally.

If you havent played this. You need to learn how to cheat and play it.

Disagree - an easy mode would draw away all the hardcore fans who love it for its challenge.
#55AtrabiliousPosted 12/13/2012 10:00:05 AM
If you add in an easy mode to Dark Souls it largely becomes a boring button-mash fest with no appeal other than an oppressive atmosphere in-game. If you've ever used the Bottomless Box glitch to start a new character with maxed out weapons and armour, welcome to what a prospective easy mode would be like to play. Enemies and bosses dying in 1 to 2 hits, dodging being largely pointless since the damage taken is mostly insignificant until late game. All the nuances of the of the combat system become largely pointless because you'll just be able to mash through the game with R1 and call it a day. To put it into perspective for people who haven't used the BB glitch, imagine having a Drake Sword that was just as effective in the end-game areas as it was in the Parish.

What makes the gameplay of the Souls series so addictive (in my opinion) is its punishing quality where combat is concerned in regards to damage taken and stamina management. The key to the Souls series is taking it slow and learning what the enemy is capable off, and how best to overcome it. If you never bother to learn (or have incentive to do so), then you just reduce it to R1 mashing. And when you're R1 mashing, it's just a fairly run-of-the-mill medieval fantasy game with a cool aesthetic and some flashy looking enemies.

With the difficulty, you're faced with actually having to learn to play the game properly to overcome difficulties like bosses and tough enemies, and when you do finally manage to string it all together and beat the boss, you feel like a badass and you've literally levelled up your game. It's rewarding in itself. And from purely a PvE perspective, that's the hook of the Souls series for me. I actually have to think about what I'm doing and get better at the game or I'm going to get trashed and sent back to the bonfire/archstone.

I can understand people who get frustrated at the game but by and large, the Souls games are not really difficult, it just requires you to pay some attention and think about what you're doing. And a lot of people don't. Souls games are no-where near as hard as they're hyped to be.
---
| Xbox 360: Atrabilious | PS3: Jazzy_Bones |
Currently Frequenting: The Dark Souls & Dragon's Dogma Boards.
#56DamiacPosted 12/13/2012 10:05:31 AM
vashtricham posted...
Quote:Dragon Nexus posted...
I needed cheats to beat resident evil 4.

Wooooooow....any gaming credentials you might have had have just bee obliterated with that one statement.

Any not an idiot credentials are destroyed when you think "gaming credentials" matter. Games are for having fun. Not for proving something.

The game should be balanced for normal mode, obviously. Then, add an easy mode using new game+ in reverse. So easy mode is new game -. When you beat new game -, you can graduate to normal mode.

That takes all of 2 seconds to program.

I play all my games on hard mode, but that's because the challenge is fun for me. You play how you want, I'll play how I want.

@Damiac
And your idiot credentials where just validated for thinking something like what you suggested takes only 2 seconds of programing. Adding that would take months of development and take away from the main game.

You think they manually programmed in each and every new game + all the way up to new game+++++++++++++++?

No, it's a formula. You program it once (multiply health by X, damage by Y, XP by Z) and it works for an infinite amount of difficulties. So to come up with an appropriate X, Y, and Z for easy mode would take, like I said, about 2 seconds. Let's say 50%. Done.
This is pretty standard practice in programming. Which I do for work, so I do know what I'm talking about.
---
The internet. Where men are men, women are men, and children are the FBI!
#57GeomagnusPosted 12/13/2012 10:07:28 AM
I admit that I'm a bit torn on the subject. On the one hand, I'd love to be able to just go through the game at my leisure just to experience the world and whatnot, while not being under extreme threats of death. On the other hand, the inclusion of difficulty levels could ruin the experience for some people. The thin about Dark Souls that binds the community together is that everyone is going through the same hellish experience together. If you make the game less difficult, even if it is optional, you divide the community drastically, and make the game's experience overall less memorable.
#58vashtrichamPosted 12/13/2012 10:12:00 AM(edited)
Quote:vashtricham posted...
Quote:Dragon Nexus posted...
I needed cheats to beat resident evil 4.

Wooooooow....any gaming credentials you might have had have just bee obliterated with that one statement.

Any not an idiot credentials are destroyed when you think "gaming credentials" matter. Games are for having fun. Not for proving something.

The game should be balanced for normal mode, obviously. Then, add an easy mode using new game+ in reverse. So easy mode is new game -. When you beat new game -, you can graduate to normal mode.

That takes all of 2 seconds to program.

I play all my games on hard mode, but that's because the challenge is fun for me. You play how you want, I'll play how I want.
@Damiac
And your idiot credentials where just validated for thinking something like what you suggested takes only 2 seconds of programing. Adding that would take months of development and take away from the main game.

You think they manually programmed in each and every new game + all the way up to new game+++++++++++++++?

No, it's a formula. You program it once (multiply health by X, damage by Y, XP by Z) and it works for an infinite amount of difficulties. So to come up with an appropriate X, Y, and Z for easy mode would take, like I said, about 2 seconds. Let's say 50%. Done.
This is pretty standard practice in programming. Which I do for work, so I do know what I'm talking about.

@Damiac
And so do i and that formula only works for a poorly balanced difficulty settings. Which is why we have so many games with terrible difficulty balance. I know that balancing a game around multiple difficulties takes more than two seconds there is alot of balancing that they have to do if they want to do it right.

---
---
#59PinkestFloyd07Posted 12/13/2012 10:13:06 AM
Dark souls difficulty is part of the game, it teaches you to play right, you have to take it slow and strategic, if they took out the difficulty then a huge part of the gameplay is missing, even if they made an easy mode, it would take away from the gameplay, they would be idiots to do this.

Dark Souls is a fairly easy game IMO, i can run through it in about 2 hours, no troubles(except anor londos damn archers) its not a hard game its more so a challenging game, it pushes you to over come the challenge, without that the world looses a lot of survival and tense moments.
#60SikkaSillPosted 12/13/2012 10:20:44 AM
you cant make an easy mode.... it would break up the invading community by half and then it would be barren at times. Everyone needs to be on equal playing grounds. The mechanics don't call for such changes. Also, if there needs to be an easy mode why not make a hardcore mode? reduce the souls you get, add an enemy or two and change their locations, and increase damage and health on enemies? I think some people want this side of the spectrum as well. This would also mess up the invading mechanics since the community would be split in other difficulties... unless someone invading can just go into anyone's game regardless of difficulty??
---
RIP DP, gonna miss you bro! "Bwahhhhh" - Me
http://dragonsdogma.tumblr.com/post/20794618336