This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dark Souls....is....amazing. But it DEF needs an easy mode.

#61CammyApplePosted 12/13/2012 11:23:10 AM
If they added an easy mode you wouldnt have to play on easy. Why does this escape people?
#62vashtrichamPosted 12/13/2012 11:25:52 AM(edited)
Quote:If they added an easy mode you wouldnt have to play on easy. Why does this escape people?
@CammyApple
But time and resources will be pulled away from the main game inorder to incorporate this. We have catered to casuals enough already leave this game alone it is fine how it is. If you do not like it go play something more on your level

---
#63CammyApplePosted 12/13/2012 11:25:52 AM
I'll fight more with you when I get home to my computer.
#64devlkorePosted 12/13/2012 11:30:20 AM
Let's all calm the **** down and think about this.

If you like the game as it is, then you don't have to play easy mode. +1 for including easy mode.

Easy mode will take more than 2 seconds to code. +1 for NOT including easy mode.

Easy mode will allow more people to enjoy the game. +1 for easy mode.

Easy mode splits the community. By default this is +1 for NO easy mode, but from the above point, it will bring in more people who may end up playing beyond easy mode, so II actually think it is moot and maybe even in FAVOUR of easy mode.

Programming an easy mode doesn't have to take much time, I'm not saying it's going to be done over coffee, but there are fairly easy ways to make a game easier without changing EVERYTHING about it. For example, less enemies, enemies attack slower, enemies block less often, player has more health, player has regenerating health, enemies don't respawn, player does increased damage, enemies attack animations have longer recovery, and so on and so on. It doesn't necessarily have to turn into "mash attack" just because it's easier.

Again, IF an easy mode were in the game, it'd probably sell more as the general public does not like hard games so any extra cost from adding in an easy mode is likely to be more than offset from increased sales. The same goes for any lost sales because "derp, I'm so hardcore, I won't buy a game that has an easy mode I don't even need to play" will be outweighed by the people that aren't idiots and want to play on normal and the extra customers that want to play on easy.

I like hard games and I haven't even played Dark Souls yet, but I find it beyond ridiculous that people don't want more options for a game they like, if it could lead to more people playing it when those options are exactly that, OPTIONS. No one is going to force you to play on easy, so let those that want it have it.

/topic (seriously, bust out more sense than that and you get an internet cookie)
---
Gamertag: Mad Mistress
[AH3:Weiss(kinda, I'm still new)] [BBCS:Robo-Friends] [MVC3:Hulk/Akuma/Sentinel] [WFC:Scout/Scientist] [SF4:LOL]
#65NakratosPosted 12/13/2012 11:41:45 AM
Easy mode would be bad for PvP.
If you simply don't allow Easy Mode players to play PvP, people won't ever stop complaining.
If you only allow Easy Mode players to battle other Easy Mode players, you'll have a couple of thousands older players playing easy mode just to troll the new players.

Other than that, it could work. Although I really don't like to mention Kingdom Hearts in this argument, I believe that KH 2 Final Mix did the right thing with the difficulty: it has three 'casual' difficulty modes and one 'hardcore' mode. It's truth that it's the opposite scenario, KH2 being an easy game turned potentially difficult, but it could work nonetheless...
Or maybe not. SMT: Nocturne has taught me that people will keep complaining until the game is a mindless button masher, but if some people will whine anyway, might as well appeal to the broadest audience possible.
#66NicoGrimmPosted 12/13/2012 11:48:32 AM
Look. Bottom line is, when a game is known for it's difficulty, adding an easy option makes absolutely no sense. The difficulty is what Souls is all bout, taking it away is insane.
---
'Cause I like you so much better when you're naked! I like me so much better when you're naked!
#67vectorman5Posted 12/13/2012 11:55:33 AM(edited)
Mega Man 9 was hard, yet it was arguably the best mega man since 2 or 3.
Mega Man 10 had an easy mode, and the level design suffered to accommodate it.

Let hard games focus on being hard. They'll be better for it in the end.

---
If the Sega Master System was a speed bump to the NES, the Atari 7800 was a tire-staining squirrel.
#68NicodaemosPosted 12/13/2012 11:54:07 AM(edited)
Game doesn't need an easy-mode, its difficulty is overrated as-is. All you have to do is learn patterns. Once you pick up on that, you'll realize the game already has easy-mode features, like SHIELDS, and SORCERY, and CO-OP.

Of course, if you can't grasp any of that, you probably don't deserve to play the game at all.
---
Until you spread your wings, you'll never know how far you can walk.
GT-- The Baconer
#69vectorman5Posted 12/13/2012 11:57:31 AM
Quote:Game doesn't need an easy-mode, its difficulty is overrated as-is. All you have to do is learn patterns. Once you pick up on that, you'll realize the game already has easy-mode features, like SHIELDS, and SORCERY, and CO-OP.

Of course, if you can't grasp any of that, you probably don't deserve to play the game at all.

@Nicodaemos

"Learn patterns, move correctly, do not die" is how all hard games were beat. It doesn't make it overrated.
---
If the Sega Master System was a speed bump to the NES, the Atari 7800 was a tire-staining squirrel.
#70NicoGrimmPosted 12/13/2012 12:01:29 PM
Out of curiosity, how would you make DS harder without resorting to "cheap" tactics?
Like randomizing trap locations, or quadrupling everyone's ehalth, or giving enemies instant undodgable attacks?

Without the ability to make the AI learn based on your actions, patterns is the ebst they have, imo.
---
'Cause I like you so much better when you're naked! I like me so much better when you're naked!