This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Bleed - One of the best XBL Indie Titles out there

#1TsuyogaruPosted 12/13/2012 9:45:03 AM(edited)
So every Wednesday morning, I head to the marketplace to download the latest arcade, indie and retail demos while I head off to work. I was extremely excited to try out Black Knight Sword especially.

As I navigated through the indie titles I came across Bleed and saw the price tag, 400 points?! Who were they kidding? Obviously I was downloading a free trial so the price point was of no concern to me in that regard. I got home from work and tried out Black Knight Sword (pretty good), amongst a few other titles.

Then I got to Bleed...and all I can say is, I bought it immediately as the time expired. This is an extremely well-made 2D Platformer/Shooter. It's got the whole old-school 16 bit look going for it with a chiptune soundtrack. The whole premise of the game is that you're a girl trying to become the next hero of the world as there hasn't been one for over 100 years. Your objective is to kill off the old heroes who are simply living off their past glories. Kind of like No More Heroes but...story-wise, not nearly as good. Although the writing in the game is pretty good, you can tell some effort went into it.

The gameplay is what really shines here, it controls EXTREMELY well. You start off with dual pistols and a rocket launcher as the default weapons. In the demo, those are the only 2 you can play with but if you choose to unlock the game, more weapons and upgrades become available to you. A katana that can deflect bullets, a shotgun, laser rifle, etc. Another cool feature is your character has a triple jump available to her. This makes for some pretty complicated maneuvering for some of the tougher sections. Did I say tough? You will probably die A LOT. Even on the normal difficulty, I died quite a few times and the difficulty on here ranges from Easy to Very Hard. So far, I've completed the game on Hard and plan to do Very Hard tonight. Another cool feature they added was bullet-time. You can slow down the game to cause maximum damage or use it to dodge the trickier attacks that the enemies will throw at you, this can also be upgraded in the shop menu. There is also a style meter (a la Devil May Cry) that you are ranked on at the end of the level, the points you earn go towards upgrades.

There are 7 stages overall and I would say it took me about an hour or two to complete the campaign on normal. After you beat the game there is also an arcade and challenge mode available. Arcade mode is having to beat the game on one life, it's pretty intense. You can even adjust how much life you start the game with, making it as hard as being hit once and you're dead..including the game over screen having to start over. Challenge mode I haven't tried yet but it seems like you can set up bosses to fight in some sort of arena challenge. As you beat the game on Normal and above, you also unlock playable characters that have unique characteristics about them.

That was a lot more than I expected to type but I'm pretty surprised with this game overall, I'll be here at work so I'll answer any questions provided anybody decides to read this.

TL;DR: Bleed is awesome - download the trial and find out for yourself.
---
Xbox Live: Chainsaw Smile
PSN: Scars_of_Wisdom
#2Tsuyogaru(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2012 9:48:06 AM
Also for people who don't like to read, here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vxLIlo5ICyI
---
#3RPG_ApostlePosted 12/13/2012 9:51:02 AM
Dankuma, someone's gunning for your job! :P

Very well written review. I typically browse the Indie section once every other month, but you've got me interested. I'm tagging this topic so I remember to DL the trial this evening.
---
How many mods does it take to screw in a lightbulb? They won't, since it TECHNICALLY didn't violate the TOS, but you'll be modded if you say there's no light.
#4Tsuyogaru(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2012 9:52:54 AM
I appreciate the words. I'm too busy with my own business to make this a habit so Dankuma, you're good!

Yeah, check out the trailer..it describes what I said in words...with pictures..and movements and..basically what you'll get from the game.
---
#5Tsuyogaru(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2012 1:46:00 PM
Bump for afternoon exposure for this awesome game.
---
#6ARsignal11Posted 12/13/2012 1:49:29 PM
Viewed the trailer and I must say, I am impressed. And from reading your synopsis and experience of the game definitely has piqued my interest. I'll definitely download the trial at the very least, but 400 points? Ugh...I don't know if I want to spend that much on ANY indie game.

But at least you brought this game to my attention. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known this existed. Thanks!
#7Tsuyogaru(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2012 1:55:49 PM
Yeah trust me, I scoffed pretty heavily at the 400 points price tag. But try out the demo, you'll know if you think it's worth it. There's definitely a fair amount of content for the money. People are suggesting he brings it down to 240 and maybe it'll attract more people to his game. We'll see!
---
#8gabriusPosted 12/13/2012 1:59:32 PM
Pricing your indie title at 400MSP is a double edged sword.

Sure, you'll make more from each individual sale.... but you're gonna sell a heck of a lot less than 20% of what you'd reap with an 80MSP price tag, making the lower price the better option.

I'm passing for now, and for the same reason a lot of people will be - 400MSP is way too much for pretty much any indie game, ESPECIALLY now that titles like Beat Hazard lowered their price to 80.
---
SHOOTEMUP
/XBL|PSN\ - Gabrius
#9Tsuyogaru(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2012 2:06:17 PM
Yeah I agree, 240 is much more attractive. I understand he put a lot of time and effort into the game but sometimes you gotta price lower to attract more people who wouldn't normally check the game out.

So far I feel I've got my money's worth but I can understand the skepticism about spending as much as a XBL game on sale, for an indie game.
---
#10Luthor_Posted 12/13/2012 2:12:40 PM
It looks great. Glad you made this topic, as I very rarely browse the Indie section due to all of the shovelware. I basically wait for topics like this to get good indie games :P.

I'll download it soon for sure. I don't see a problem with $5 if it's a quality game.
---
I was SWAGGING WHEN I WAS 420ING then I YOLOD.
-DarkJayDragon