This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A few hours into FarCry 3 and while it's amazing, something almost ruins it...

#1JKSonicPosted 12/13/2012 9:18:48 PM
I feel like while this game is probably what FC2 wanted to be (and should have been), and it takes the FPS genre as a whole in a new exciting direction... there's one area where it takes a MAJOR step back as well.

For me, that area is saving. Why in the world does an open world game like this, one that is essentially an RPG, not let me save at any point? Checkpoints in a game like this should only be a safety net, not your ONLY WAY to save during missions. Also, even when you can save at any time while outside of missions, it still (at least as far as I've seen) warps you back to a safehouse and doesn't actually save as-is anyway.

Maybe I'm overreacting, and maybe as I play more it will bother me less...but right now it's enough to keep this just out of reach from elite status for me...
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#2KryingKetchupPosted 12/13/2012 9:22:33 PM
Not being able to save during a mission...has this much of an effect on you?

Haha this is not an RPG, it is a shooter and it has some RPG elements in it such as crafting, hunting, and the skills.

Imagine being able to save and stop anywhere, it takes out the challenge of the missions. Play on easy if you don't want to die, or if you're worried about having to go somewhere and need to stop playing, safehouses and fast travel points are so much more plentiful than FC2 bus stations every 100 miles, with respawning outposts to go through..
#3pandoraorbPosted 12/13/2012 9:24:24 PM
I can see both points.
---
The Pandora's Box Trilogy--middle grade fantasy--BOOK THREE: FATE and REBIRTH out now!
#4tomcatobitricePosted 12/13/2012 11:17:42 PM
"Its skyrim with guns".......Oh wait.....its not
---
MY CP(\__/)U is neural net processor, a learning computer.Cyberdyne systems Model 101....... A WAR machine Terminator looking(='.'=) for Sarah and John Connor.
#5tisukoPosted 12/13/2012 11:44:03 PM
"Its skyrim with guns".......Oh wait.....its not

It's not. I always thought of Fallout 3/Vegas as Oblivion/Skyrim with guns. Dunno why they even thought Far Cry 3 was that.
---
+_AN|?+=E+ ?w?_+ i
PSN: tisuko GT: k0tet5u
#6jakisthePosted 12/13/2012 11:51:20 PM
Do you want a one-time save kinda deal, that it exits you out when you make it and then it's deleted upon use? Because if not, would probably lead to save scumming on missions...

Can't explain the out-of-mission system though. Probably just to keep it consistent.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#7TheBlueStigPosted 12/14/2012 12:45:05 AM
Constant saving ruins games, makes them far too easy.

You want a tough FPS to get through, try playing through Project I.G.I. where you can only save at the END of the level, and each level is bare minimum 45 minutes to an hour long.

Skill-less wonders need not apply....
#8HELZEROPosted 12/14/2012 1:01:05 AM
Its the best SP game ive ever played on the 360, but thats just me. I dont get all the minor complaints ppl make..
#9JKSonic(Topic Creator)Posted 12/14/2012 6:46:13 AM
Many FPS's let you save at any time...and especially one like this where it's so close to being an RPG, IMO, it should as well. The only thing that keeps it from being Fallout 3 is there's no VATS system and you don't change armor/outfits. You level up and gain experience from kills (more for doing "better"), you gain points to learn new abilities, you can hunt and craft tons of items from your loot, you can take tons of side missions, there's a huge open world, you loot bodies (not just ammo), sell and buy things at shops..............so this isn't an RPG why? I'm honestly asking...

I mean did being able to save any time ruin games like Doom 3? Does it ruin "true" RPG's with in depth missions like FO 3 or Skyrim? Then for out of missions it's just no excuse IMO. Sometimes I'll be out hunting or exploring and I have to stop...not fun making my way back after I've been stalking around for animals for a while.

It's still amazing and like I said maybe I'll get used to it as time goes on...just a puzzling decision is all.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#10Perfect LightPosted 12/14/2012 6:49:48 AM
I've never had an issue with the save system. FC3 is my favorite game this year.
---
youtube.com/sciencebytes, learn something new