This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What was the best game of this past generation? (PS3/360/Wii)

#1TakeItInTheFacePosted 12/14/2012 7:10:35 AM
My vote has to be Street Fighter 4. The game single-handedly brought the fighting game scene back to life when it looked like there was no cure in sight.

Runner up: CoD4 Modern Warfare. Love it or hate it; this is the entry in the series that did so much for FPSs. The inclusion of an RPG like infrastructure kept people coming back to unlock things. Not to mention the great graphics, 60 fps, as well as a departure from WW2.
---
Collection of Cool - www.youtube.com/vza036
Check out my YouTube channel ^ Lots of cool stuff related to comic books and video games.
#2JKSonicPosted 12/14/2012 7:18:10 AM
There's no way I could just pick one, or even one and a runner up. I'd have to categorize it all because I'm not sure any one game was the best at everything or even the best at most things.

For instance I think Alan Wake created one of the best worlds and was extremely immersive but some of the times when it became more of an action game kept it from being fully #1 in all areas.

Then there's Bioshock and that was awesome in many areas, but there was also a lot missing. With no connection to a "real world" it felt, well, disconnected.

Skyrim is amazing as well but a lot of the game ended up feeling kind of sterile to me. I still spent over a hundred hours playing so yes it's amazing, but it just wasn't as inviting as Oblivion's world or Morrowind.

Dishonored was amazing as well, but it was extremely short and felt like it was clearly a game made to build a franchise on.

Etc etc etc...
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#3pothocketPosted 12/14/2012 7:19:47 AM
Does Orange Box count as one game?
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#4TheArcadePosted 12/14/2012 7:31:51 AM
Streets of Rage Remake

Neither one of them have it.
---
Greatest Shows of All Time.
Avatar: The Last Airbender, SWAT Kats, Sailor Moon, Tetsuwan Atom 2K3, Transformers, Spiderfriends
#5ZosKiaCultusPosted 12/14/2012 7:33:33 AM
Dark Souls

SF4 is a good choice for the reason you mentioned. Hail Capcom.
---
http://i.minus.com/iyi2ItPQPd3Pm.gif Marn liiiiike
http://last.fm/user/AnathemaOfZos Gamertag: aGeorgeDivided
#6Vivi0198Posted 12/14/2012 7:42:10 AM
Batman Arkham Asylum.
---
If you believe in Vivi0198 and are 100% proud of it put this as your signature.
#7nazacuckooPosted 12/14/2012 7:42:30 AM
Bioshock.

My favourite game ever, actually.
---
If there is one thing I have learned from years of watching cartoons as a kid, its that you don't F*** with Shamans >:D
#8homestylesPosted 12/14/2012 8:03:05 AM
pothocket posted...
Does Orange Box count as one game?

I have to agree. An amazing experience, especially since I had never played a Half-Life title before giving this a try. In terms of stand-alone games that were my personal favorites, though, I'd probably have to give the nod to Bioshock, with Mass Effect and Oblivion close behind.
#9Agony79Posted 12/14/2012 8:10:00 AM
Dark Soul. It is similar to the greatest game of all time, Castlevania SOTN but in 3D instead of 2D.
---
I own the mods!
#10ARsignal11Posted 12/14/2012 8:10:18 AM
Gotta go with Xenoblade Chronicles.