This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What was the best game of this past generation? (PS3/360/Wii)

#11ScymitePosted 12/14/2012 8:15:23 AM
homestyles posted...
pothocket posted...
Does Orange Box count as one game?

I have to agree. An amazing experience, especially since I had never played a Half-Life title before giving this a try. In terms of stand-alone games that were my personal favorites, though, I'd probably have to give the nod to Bioshock, with Mass Effect and Oblivion close behind.

agree 100%
---
"I always found it both amusing and oddly appropriate that the rhetoric of the Information Age ended up being so... binary." -- Time_pants
#12Sniper_BrosefPosted 12/14/2012 8:20:03 AM
Oblivion
Skyrim
Mass Effect
Dead Rising
Batman Arkham Asylum
Fallout 3

Pick one and you really cant go wrong
---
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Keith.....I loved you man.....you will be sorely missed.
#13Jpsyence77Posted 12/14/2012 8:33:46 AM(edited)
Personally, I really loved Just Cause 2.
Overall, if I were to vote I think it would have to either be Red Dead Redemption or Batman: Arkham Asylum. With perhaps a slight edge to RDR, because it had extended gameplay, that being multiplayer.
---
http://oi42.tinypic.com/eipfg4.jpg
#14tracazoidPosted 12/14/2012 8:23:11 AM(edited)
Personally I would go with the Orange Box as others said, a fantastic package that is really, really cheap now and it was worth it at $60 for me. Four solid to fantastic single player titles and Team Fortress 2 which has kept me entertained for years like no other shooter since Socom 2, Quake or Unreal.

Basically with Team Fortress 2 alone I have hit over 2000 hours, it's my main online game and have at least 10 hours in all the other titles in the Orange Box and in most cases besides Episode 1 a fair bit more then 10 hours..

That or as a single title instead of a package, one of the Arkham games are a fun choice. City improves quite a few things like combat and way better challenge maps yet structurally Asylum does that much better due to City and its kind of open world nature. Tough choice really, that one would be a coin toss for me. City did have a much better payoff at the end though and a better Joker battle(not fantastic yet more appropriate) instead of another Bane fight variation.
#15SunDevil77Posted 12/14/2012 8:30:53 AM
It's almost impossible to say, but if I had to choose one game that blew me away, and did as many possible things just right it would be GTA IV, Xenoblade or Red Dead Redemption,
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#16JKSonicPosted 12/14/2012 8:32:00 AM
I truly feel like Half Life 2 is overrated. It's not terrible, not at all, it's overall a pretty great game. But for me, looking back this past generation and right before (since technically HL2 came out last gen...got it when it first came out on PC) it's never on my mind as one of the games that pops out on top.

RDR, Bioshock (1 and even 2), Dishonored, Skyrim, Oblivion, Dark Souls, Mass Effect 1 (and to a lesser extent 2 and 3), Dragon Age 1, Alan Wake, and quite a few others would absolutely come before HL2 or the Orange Box in general for me. Just my opinion though...
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#17shawnmckPosted 12/14/2012 8:33:47 AM
I personally would go with Dark Souls.

There have been a LOT of really good games...and I dare say more than any previous generation, but Dark Souls had me invested the most.
#18Tube_of_NoobPosted 12/14/2012 9:15:58 AM
I have to be the bad guy but I will say it. How is it not the Call of Duty franchise? CoD 2 was a launch title for 360 which if I remember correctly about 70% of people who bought a 360 at launch also bought CoD2. Then MW came out and the MP scene blew up. With each release they break the media sales record. I think its easy to say it been the most influential series this decade by far.

With all that said my most influential would be Mass Effect and its sequels lol.
---
"Luckys an old buddy of mine...and by buddy I mean the a-hole that ruined my Momma's girl parts."
#19ktownslayer16Posted 12/14/2012 9:18:42 AM
Hard to argue against COD: MW. While not my cup of tea, it's definitely one of the most influential games of all time.

Others I'd include in the list are Skyrim (so massive in every aspect), Bioshock (best combination of unique gameplay mechanics, and story this gen IMO), MGS4
---
RIP ownie35. One of the true pioneers of the NHL Board
#20Critter_crewPosted 12/14/2012 9:20:53 AM
Dark Souls.

Still play occasionally now and I don't think the game moved from the disc tray for the first six months after its release.