This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I just got Dark Souls as an early Christmas gift...

#31WOT BSPosted 12/16/2012 1:59:40 AM
656stooge posted...
Biggest tips-

*DON'T make a jack of all trades character. Pick two or three stats and stick to them. Ignore resistance entirely.

*Pick a weapon you like and upgrade it. Damage boosts come from upgrading weapons and not from the strength stat.

this but what you need to do is pick 1 of these 4 and raise endurance and vitality plenty. get endurance to a minimum of 40. (max's out how long you can run and times you can swing)

strength, dexterity, intelligence, faith. you can raise strength to the minimum pre-req for whatever weapon you want to use (to the highest of 20 you can use about 85% more weapons in the game with 20 strength and 14 dex)
---
GT: Extract Hz
#32Deathx113Posted 12/16/2012 7:22:47 AM
delux19 posted...
Deathx113 posted...
delux19 posted...
EternalNether posted...
AstronomerJake posted...
expect a mediocre game that is only unique because it tries to piss you off. Its not great design, just lazy and the same people who buy all dlc and worship these greedy publishers are the ones who says this lazily designed game is unique.

You seem emotionally unstable. May I offer you a candy cane?

You asked what to expect, he told you.

He asked what to expect not for a troll to come up with the best troll answer possible. >_>

He is a troll because his opinion of the game contradicts yours? He is allowed to think the game is mediocre.

I didn't realize I was talking to his alt. >_>
---
Mods thinking: "Alright, well I'm going to delete this topic, but first let me delete as many of these posts as I can! HohoMwahahhaha!!"
#33Deathx113Posted 12/16/2012 7:23:53 AM
Link43130 posted...
if you're getting frame rate problems outside of a few select areas then your xbox is probably dieing lol

Yep.

I only ever experienced framerate issues in 2 areas, and they only lasted for a few seconds.
---
Mods thinking: "Alright, well I'm going to delete this topic, but first let me delete as many of these posts as I can! HohoMwahahhaha!!"
#34Luthor_Posted 12/16/2012 7:32:36 AM
Don't quit around the undead burrow no matter how tempting it is.

While I didn't enjoy the game too much, once you get past the Undead Burrow it definitely gets better (around the forest).
---
I was SWAGGING WHEN I WAS 420ING then I YOLOD.
-DarkJayDragon
#35EternalNether(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2012 8:06:42 AM
The Xbox is only a few weeks old. It's not dying.
---
Currently Anticipating: Elder Scrolls Online, Phantasy Star Online 2, Final Fantasy XIV
#36HELZEROPosted 12/16/2012 9:03:02 AM
Im jealous, wish I could experience the game for the first time again.. :/
#37Godly_GoofPosted 12/16/2012 9:08:18 AM
The game is simple enough. Get a fast one hander and a decent shield. Then its just observe patterns, analyze and counter. then rinse repeat. It's not that hard more punishing imo. In the same way that random enemies can realistically kill you often if you stop paying attention (which I always kinda hated).

That and look into getting the butterfly shield if you want to just troll bosses and enemies. Its super fun haha
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#38Godly_GoofPosted 12/16/2012 9:09:29 AM
EternalNether posted...
The Xbox is only a few weeks old. It's not dying.

My Xbox died in only a few weeks :/

luckily Wal-Mart replaced it >.>
---
"All things are about Jesus Homer .......... Except this."
#39shawnmckPosted 12/16/2012 9:45:17 AM(edited)
The game isn't as hard as some claim (although it may seem that way)...its more like the game has a very stiff penalty for dying, and doesn't really explain how to do anything, which makes the entire game a learning process.
Meaning that you will have to learn as you go, which will result in a LOT of deaths.

Some people just don't have the patience for this game and give up claiming that its too hard.
Those that do persevere eventually learn & realize that the game really isn't that hard at all. Once you know enemy attack patterns and the weaknesses for bosses then it becomes much easier. However getting to that point is simply trial & error.

Another mistake some people make is that they think they can just run in & kill everything, and they treat it like most Action games of this type where you can take on crowds of enemies and win.
In Dark Souls, if you try taking on more than one enemy at a time then you are doomed for failure and are asking for trouble.
So some simply do not like that aspect of the game either.

Like some have already stated, you need to take things slow and methodically. Always keep an eye on your surroundings, take on enemies one at a time, and learn how to block effectively, when to roll, as well as riposte & back-stab. It takes some practice, but once you get good at this you will find that much of the game becomes easier, and then its just a matter of figuring out how to deal with the tougher enemies (which all have a weakness).

Also, be sure to level up and equip the armor & weapons that caters to your play-style.
There is a lot of equipment, but based on your character development some will be beneficial and others will be more of a hindrance. You have to learn which.

One last thing...
The game is somewhat open-world, and allows you to explore...but just because the game allows you to go to certain areas doesn't mean that you should.
There are some areas that are just way too tough for starting characters, and it is highly recommended that you avoid such areas until you've leveled up and have better equipment.
The graveyard with all the skeletons are one such area.

Anyway, good-luck and I hope you enjoy the game.
:)
#40shawnmckPosted 12/16/2012 9:47:16 AM(edited)
I've also noticed in this topic that a lot of people are giving you their strategies for beating the game.
The thing to remember about this is that they are just their personal strategies.
The game is very open ended meaning that there are an abundance of strategies.
Some like to use a short sword & a shield, some like to use a long two-handed weapon...some like heavy armor, whereas some like very light armor (or no armor at all).
And etc, as there are many types of strategies and ways to build your character.
The same goes for leveling attributes, as everyone prefers certain (but different) stats to level up.

The point is that you have to keep in mind that anyone giving you specific types of advice or strategies when fighting or developing a character is just their personal strategies.
Some might work for you and some might not.
Everyone's play-style is different, so it is best to learn the strategies that cater to your own specific style of play & preferences.
None are right &/or wrong...just different.
Keep in mind that depending on how you build a character the strategies will change.
That's why you need to be careful when getting advice on how to fight or build your character from others.

Experiment a little and see what works best for you, and the character type that you are building. And then build your character & equip items accordingly.

Let me give you an example....
Some players prefer to level up nothing but Health, Stamina, and maybe Faith (because certain weapons have stats that boost damage according to Faith)....but they run around completely naked because they don't like the way any armor slows them down. Sure, if they aren't careful then they can potentially get one hit killed by a lot of enemies...but this strategy works for them. Yet if I were to try that strategy it wouldn't work for me, and I would hate it because it doesn't cater to my personal preferences &/or play-style at all.

Just because someone tells you how to play (what weapons to use) or how to level up (only put points in this attribute or that), doesn't mean that you should.
You want to enjoy the game after all, so experiment and play to a style that is fun for you, and build your character according to your own personal style.
This will make the game ultimately more enjoyable for you.