This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would you buy full priced games for $59.99?

#101CrimsonCorpPosted 12/17/2012 2:49:10 PM
It takes a lot more for me to shell out $60 bucks for a game nowadays. It takes a game with a ton of content to get my to spend $60. RPGs and Open World games are practically the only games where I consider it.
---
"No world shall be beyond my rule; No enemy shall be beyond my wrath" - The Emperor of Mankind
#102randomweirdoPosted 12/17/2012 3:01:31 PM
Just because the developer doesn't see the money after purchase doesn't mean your purchase doesn't support them. Developers and publishers gauge success of a release by the week one sales of new games and if those sales meet their expectations or not. The retailers are far more likely to order more copies of a game if they spin a profit on it than if they take a major loss and more copies being ordered means more money for the developer. They do look at overall numbers as well, but they know very well that the biggest sales of a new game come in that first week and it is a very large chunk of what the overall numbers will be. On average 50% or more of the overall sales will come in the first week.

For many games, developer and publisher are the same company, but some are not. Even if a separate company publishes the game, the publisher still pays out to the developer via licensing to be able to publish the game and if the game is a successful release then they will pay the developer to publish more games. If it isn't successful, chances are that publisher won't release more games by that developer in the future so the fans will have to hope another publisher picks up future releases. This model is usually done by the smaller developers who lack the resources to publish their own games.

And it's another beast entirely when you add in digital downloads and DLC into the mix. The developer and publisher tend to get far more revenue from digital releases since they don't have to rely on a middleman so much to sell them. That tends to be done with a model of the developer or publisher gets a percentage of the sale and then in the case of the 360, Microsoft gets a share as well.
#103JuhanorPosted 12/17/2012 3:20:11 PM
I've got my eye on five games that come out in 2013. Out of those five, I'll probably pay full price for two, because I like the developer/character/series.

The rest? Well, I know that two of them won't be SP-heavy, and since I play offline, I have no interest in MP-based games. So, I'll probably wait until they are around 30-40 or until I can get 'em used-like-new. The last one, I can take or leave, depending on how well it performs.

Basically, the only games I'll pay 60 dollars for, regardless, are Bethesda games - usually twice-over, once for the initial release and once for GotY - Spider-Man games (because Beenox is a great dev team and they include costumes as unlockables), and Metal Gear games.
#104fishreloadedPosted 12/17/2012 3:31:36 PM
I've managed my money well enoug that I don't really worry about it, so if its a game I want I'm going to buy it for $60 soon after its release.

Or if I have a back log I will wait until I free myself up and maybe the price would have dropped by then.
---
Currently playing: Borderlands 2
Black 2 FC: 4599-7542-1288
#105Deathx113Posted 12/17/2012 3:32:16 PM
Obtik posted...
Deathx113 posted...
Is it even possible to buy a full priced game for less than $60?

For years Best Buy and Amazon have been giving $20 credits to anyone who preorders a new game.

Still have to pay $60.
---
Mods thinking: "Alright, well I'm going to delete this topic, but first let me delete as many of these posts as I can! HohoMwahahhaha!!"
#106whiteboygenePosted 12/17/2012 4:34:52 PM
Solid Sonic posted...
I've also noticed that b/c of Netlfix I'm becoming less likely to go to the theater, and I love movies. ;p

Pfft, I never use Netflix for movies, it seems.

I'm more watching shows that I don't see on TV either due to schedule or not getting the channel (or just being plain canceled).

Their movie selection on stream leaves much to be desired.

Pfft? Did you just fart?
---
Chairman of the Correct Opinion Board.
"Your still a psychopath Whiteboygene" -Offworlder1
#107ILikesCheesePosted 12/17/2012 7:23:04 PM(edited)
randomweirdo posted...
ILikesCheese posted...
darealest47 posted...
Games used to be $70 to $80.

A) Like I said, "personal wealth has nothing to do with it."

B) Games were never $70 to $80. At least not in the US for a major console. In fact, the further you go back in time, the cheaper they were. Without adjusting for inflation of course.

I call BS on your second point and point to the SNES/Genesis gen. Prices went down after that gen because CDs cost less to make than cartridges, but there was no set price for games during that gen and the price depended on how much the cartridge cost to produce and how much the developer wanted to charge you. Your average RPG ended up being $70 to $80 and most of the games people speak of as being the best of that gen were expensive. For example if you wanted to go buy Chrono Trigger when it came out, enjoy that $80 price tag and it sure didn't drop very much within a month. If anything, the games became harder to find the longer they were out.

JKSonic posted...
Just to be clear, SOME games were $70+-ish...SOME. Also depending on where you lived in the US game prices would differ. In fact sometimes they would different $10+ at different stores. Right in the same mall, side-by-side, we had two stores (Gamestop....which was at the time whatever it was before...either Gamestop.com or EB Games, can't remember) and another store that sold games, systems, movies, music, etc (can't remember the name)... Anyway at the other store games were always about $10 cheaper, sometimes more, and these were for brand new games.

I'm 40 years old. I bought games for the Atari, Colecovision, NES, SNES, N64, Playstation, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3 and the Wii.

With RARE exception (like $200 mech games with their own controller or off brand items like the NeoGeo), games were NEVER over $50 until this generation. Google it again for some more Toys R Us ads from the 80s and 90s for the aforementioned consoles to prove my point.

---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#108ILikesCheesePosted 12/17/2012 7:13:36 PM
secondhand1 posted...
ILikesCheese posted...
I really grow tired of the "I support the developer" argument in threads of this nature.

Yeah, it's almost as tiresome as the arguments that attempt to place value on a game as if it applies across the board.

ILikesCheese posted...
At what point do you folks NOT support the developer anymore? If games rose to $70? $80?? $100??? Just because you like a game and the company that makes it is not a good enough reason to continue to purchase products at overly inflated prices.

$60 is just too expensive of a price in the marketplace for 90% of the games offered. This has nothing to do with personal wealth. I love Dishonored to death, and I bought it brand new. But after finishing the game in 10 hours, not wishing to do a second playthrough, and there being no online component to continue playing, I regret my purchase. Don't get me wrong, the game is great. It's just not worth the $60 pricetag for the amount of gameplay on offer.

This is why I am SOOOO glad the secondary market exists and serivces like Gamefly are available. If (when) we see a move to complete DD or a lockout of used games, we will also see an implosion of the gaming market similar in scope to 1984 unless prices are not so ridiculously high.

Oops.

Umm...no. No "opps" at all. Everything has "value". Unless you're just ignorant. Or a hippie I suppose. :D
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#109lunchablesrockPosted 12/17/2012 7:15:12 PM
Yeah I've made that mistake too much lately. I've bought Hitman, AC3, Resident Evil 6, and call of duty and haven't beaten any of them because i've been to busy. You can get most of them for $40 now and it hasn't even been a month.
---
GT/PSN:AmazingBrian
Phenom II x2 560 | 4gb G.skill Ripjaws | 1TB SpinPoint f3 | Sapphire 5770 | 550w Cooler Master PSU | MSI 870-G45 |
#110ILikesCheesePosted 12/17/2012 7:21:03 PM
darealest47 posted...
Geist posted...
You can always tell when the younger crowd is posting

"Oh my GOD! 60$ is soooo much MONEY!!!"

It's too cute.

It's adorable lol

"A fool and his money are soon parted."

In this case, TWO fools.

:D

Ahh, youth. I remember my 20s...
---