This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would you buy full priced games for $59.99?

#31snaggleooooPosted 12/17/2012 5:49:40 AM
Gaebora Kaepora posted...
goddamn it, i wanted to boast about how this one electronics store sells new games for 44 euros, but then i did a conversion to us dollars and it turns out that it's 57 dollars <_<

*new games anywhere else are still 60 euros - almost 79 dollars D:

You have little to complain about. Come to Australia. The average AAA game is AU$90 here. With the US$ and AU$ at pretty much 1:1 (actually even better in our favour), we're getting shafted something fierce.
#32SunDevil77Posted 12/17/2012 5:57:40 AM
Hype.
To me, some games are worth $60 for the thrill of going out and grabbing some lunch with a buddy or my brother then going into Best Buy, getting the game, and sitting beside eachother and starting a brand new game.

I got a lot of excess income, thus, its easy.
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#33XenobowPosted 12/17/2012 6:05:34 AM
Some games are rare to find later like some jrpg e.g. Tales of Vesperia, MagnaCarta 2 are quite expensive right now.
---
Lost Odyssey
#34DyingPancakePosted 12/17/2012 6:15:18 AM
Now its gotten to the point where I only buy games at $10-$15 because of how fast they drop

Like people have said though there are exceptions. I bought Black Ops 2 on launch day because I was really looking forward to it and it will be years before there is a decent sale on it
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
Number of deer shot this year: 2
#35Runner_stylePosted 12/17/2012 6:20:48 AM
From a personal standpoint regardless of disposable income I don't see games being worth $60, 40 or whatever the full price cost of a game is in your currency.

That and coupled with the fact the average game tends to sharply fall in price shortly after release just means you're pissing away what can be a sizeable amount of money (if you constantly buy new on release) when after a few weeks the price of the game falls by 5-10, and after a month or two by half its full value.

Of course that doesn't necessarily count for all games, just the majority of them. There are a number as already mentioned in this thread where the value either stays the same, or increases over time.
---
Remember kiddies, your opinion isn't fact. If someone disagrees with your opinion quit crying, get over it.
#36Solid SonicPosted 12/17/2012 6:23:26 AM
Let's see...of this year games I bought at full price...

Soul Calibur V, Ridge Racer Unbounded, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, and DoA5.

Of those, I could have probably waited on RRU because no one bought that and it dropped like a rock.

Also sometimes there are games that you really can't avoid paying full price for. Halo 4 is a good example.
---
Buy a Wii U: Don't support platforms that can play Resident Evil 6. Free yourself from the chains of corruption.
#37realskillz1990Posted 12/17/2012 6:24:24 AM
The last game I paid full price for was arkham city and a few months is exaggerating it can be a few weeks for a price drop. I never pay more then 30 for any game because they drop in price so fast and I have a huge collection of titles I havent even had time to play yet.
---
You release your game and it has disc locked content and day 1 dlc I will just buy your game used.
#38grizzmoePosted 12/17/2012 6:41:22 AM
i never pay more than $30 for a game, even 30s pushing it kind of, wait til the price drop, buy used, get it for about $20 - $25, most games i play for a week and either never play again or play months later
#39ObtikPosted 12/17/2012 6:50:27 AM
Deathx113 posted...
Is it even possible to buy a full priced game for less than $60?

For years Best Buy and Amazon have been giving $20 credits to anyone who preorders a new game.
---
XBL GT: l Mentu l
#40LimbicPosted 12/17/2012 7:14:26 AM
Now that I've got an OP pc, I only buy AAA games during Steam sales.

I've still got AAA games as well as a lot of great indies left over from the summer sale that I haven't played yet. I would be very surprised if I ever payed $60 for a game again. I probably average under $10 per game.

I'm playing Deux Ex: Human Revolution right now, and I think I got it for $5 or $6.

On a related note, I can't see myself ever pay a monthly subscription again, either. Why would I pay $15 to rent a game for a month when I could pay $15 to own two games every month?
---
Paid DLC at release = end of games.