This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would you buy full priced games for $59.99?

#51williamzamoraPosted 12/17/2012 7:55:31 AM
I preorder from Best Buy and get a 20 dollar reward then stack them and get more new games . Its like paying 40 dollars for new games every time> Best buy have the best trade in and prices in my town.
#52summerclawPosted 12/17/2012 7:56:56 AM
darealest47 posted...
Games used to be $70 to $80.
People who are saying they're poor are the same people that walk around woth dres beats and iPods/iPhones.
59.99 is nothing
Get a job.

Not everyone that say that games are expensive have some dres. Heck I have an ipod, an 4th generation Apple nano that cost me 70 bucks. Does that mean I'm rich because I have an ipod?

The only game I paid 59.99$ was KOF 12 and never again will I do that.
---
In every loss, in every lie, in every truth that you'd deny
And each regret and each goodbye was a mistake too great to hide.
#53ILikesCheesePosted 12/17/2012 8:20:32 AM
darealest47 posted...
People who are saying they're poor are the same people that walk around woth dres beats and iPods/iPhones.
59.99 is nothing
Get a job.

A) Like I said, "personal wealth has nothing to do with it."

B) Games were never $70 to $80. At least not in the US for a major console. In fact, the further you go back in time, the cheaper they were. Without adjusting for inflation of course.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#54SheepinatorPosted 12/17/2012 8:31:45 AM
ILikesCheese posted...
B) Games were never $70 to $80. At least not in the US for a major console. In fact, the further you go back in time, the cheaper they were. Without adjusting for inflation of course.

I think they were, such as SNES and N64 cartridges. As for inflation, you could compare the long term pricing of games with other forms of entertainment like cinema tickets etc. They have all gone up significantly, games haven't, despite the fact the costs to make games has soared.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#55randomweirdoPosted 12/17/2012 8:33:29 AM
ILikesCheese posted...
darealest47 posted...
59.99 is nothing
Get a job.

A) Like I said, "personal wealth has nothing to do with it."

I call BS on your second point and point to the SNES/Genesis gen. Prices went down after that gen because CDs cost less to make than cartridges, but there was no set price for games during that gen and the price depended on how much the cartridge cost to produce and how much the developer wanted to charge you. Your average RPG ended up being $70 to $80 and most of the games people speak of as being the best of that gen were expensive. For example if you wanted to go buy Chrono Trigger when it came out, enjoy that $80 price tag and it sure didn't drop very much within a month. If anything, the games became harder to find the longer they were out.
#56Killah PriestPosted 12/17/2012 8:35:55 AM
I want them and 59.99 is not a lot of money.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#57Silent Sniper IVPosted 12/17/2012 8:39:16 AM(edited)
randomweirdo posted...
For example if you wanted to go buy Chrono Trigger when it came out, enjoy that $80 price tag and it sure didn't drop very much within a month. If anything, the games became harder to find the longer they were out.

Are you acounting for inflation or something? CT was $60 on release where i lived. I remember that really specifically because I worked my ass off saving up for it before it came out. The only games I trecall being above $60 offhand were Earthbound and Phantasy star IV

I'm pretty much over the whole, "I need to play this on day one~" thing since steam so frequently has games 60-80% off in less than 6 months. Some case in points on what I paid for games released from this year:

Dragons dogma: $10
diablo 3: $10
Max payne 3: $10
Endless space: $7
Xcom: $20
spec ops the line $6
ME3: $20
BF3 (2012, but still): $5
civ 5 gods and kings: $6
OMD2: $3
walking dead: $10

If you're just a tiny bit patient, you can save a lot of money. It's not a matter of "Getting a job", it's a matter of how wise a spender you are verses how much time you have to play the games you buy. I bought borderlands on release, but even then I got it for $35, and with DLC. Having a healthy backlog of about 15-20 games helps put the need to play stuff on day one in perspective. Only game I plan to buy on day one next year is dark souls 2.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#58TheBlueStigPosted 12/17/2012 8:39:14 AM
pcmasterking7 posted...
Depends on the developer.

This makes no sense at all considering the fact that the developer gets paid as soon as their game gets bought by a retailer.

Retailers do NOT pay developers after the sale of a game, that never happens anywhere.

The path of the games is as follows.....

1. Mass Duplicator
2. Warehouse
3. Distributor
4. Retailer
5. Consumer

Once the games go from the warehouse to the distributor, the developer gets paid.
#59kesahPosted 12/17/2012 8:39:58 AM
ILikesCheese posted...

http://i.imgur.com/zf92o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hQGu1.jpg

Toys R Us ad from 1996.

Entire ad can be viewed here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504415
#60darealest47Posted 12/17/2012 8:41:03 AM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
randomweirdo posted...
For example if you wanted to go buy Chrono Trigger when it came out, enjoy that $80 price tag and it sure didn't drop very much within a month. If anything, the games became harder to find the longer they were out.

Are you acounting for inflation or something? CT was $60 on release where i lived. I remember that really specifically because I worked my ass off saving up for it before it came out. The only games I trecall being above $60 offhand were Earthbound and Phantasy star IV

I'm pretty much over the whole, "I need to play this on day one~" thing since steam so frequently has games 60-80% off in less than 6 months. Some case in points on what I paid for games released from this year:

Dragons dogma: $10
diablo 3: $10
Max payne 3: $10
Endless space: $7
Xcom: $20
spec ops the line $6
ME3: $20
BF3 (2012, but still): $5
civ 5 gods and kings: $6
OMD2: $3
walking dead: $10

If you're just a tiny bit patient, you can save a lot of money. It's not a matter of "Getting a job", it's a matter of how wise a spender you are verses how much time you have to play the games you buy. I bought borderlands on release, but even then I got it for $35, and with DLC. Having a healthy backlog of about 15-20 games helps put the need to play stuff on day one in perspective. Only game I plan to buy on day one next year is dark souls 2.

Get a job.
---
won't change this sig until pittsburgh steelers gets their 7th ring
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eVPxvaIzec