This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would you buy full priced games for $59.99?

#71SheepinatorPosted 12/17/2012 9:22:26 AM
kesah posted...
ILikesCheese posted...
B) Games were never $70 to $80. At least not in the US for a major console. In fact, the further you go back in time, the cheaper they were. Without adjusting for inflation of course.

http://i.imgur.com/zf92o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hQGu1.jpg

Toys R Us ad from 1996.

Entire ad can be viewed here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504415

Since 1996, movie ticket prices have gone up 80%.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#72MRL3G3NDPosted 12/17/2012 9:25:33 AM
CyhortI82 posted...
So I don't have to wait, duh. Why would I wait months to play a game I've been waiting for for months just to save 20 bucks?

this...

Seriously wtf...I think it's stupid to wait weeks to play a great game so you can get 5 dollars off...thats just being cheap

why cheat myself the experience...

are gamers just inherently cheap? Seriously I hear people saying that if they release a new console, they will wait until it comes down in price OR they are fine playing the old hardware because the new one will cost $500...

I'm like wtf... you can't scrape up $500 in 12 months?

When I heard the 360 was going to be in HD...I saved up money to buy a hdtv the console and 2 games...

I guess it all depends on how big of a part that gaming plays in your life......
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#73designheroPosted 12/17/2012 9:32:19 AM
Wow, I didn't remember SNES games being that much! I do know I bought Shadows of the Empire for N64 new at Best Buy for $75. I never understood why it was more expensive than the other N64 games, but I did play the hell out of it. I can remember that IG-88 boss battle being a bear.

I probably shouldn't buy as many games new as I do nowadays considering I have 20-30 backlogged on my shelf to play. Ironically, most of those shelved games are the ones I get for cheap and put aside while I play the latest and greatest!
---
GT: fluoddity
#74TheBlueStigPosted 12/17/2012 9:35:24 AM
Sheepinator posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
pcmasterking7 posted...
Depends on the developer.

This makes no sense at all considering the fact that the developer gets paid as soon as their game gets bought by a retailer.

Retailers do NOT pay developers after the sale of a game, that never happens anywhere.

That isn't entirely accurate. Publishers book revenue when games are shipped to retail, but they leave out around 10% which they call "reserves". This is to account for price reductions based on historical trends of what they have already shipped. Games never come back to the publisher but they do help retailers to move the inventory. If a game sells really poorly they can take an earnings hit if they have to boost those reserves to help the inventory sell.

Publishers also use market development funds which are to aid with promotions such as buying better placement in the store, buying space in the store ads, etc. At the end of the day, the publisher wants a good relationship with the retailers because they want those same retailers to buy millions of units of the next game they say will be huge.

tldr: when you see a discount at a store, you can't assume that 100% of that discount is being eaten by the retailer.

I worked game retail for a decade, NEVER ONCE did we ever send a check to any developer or publisher after we sold their games.

100% of all price cuts are eaten by retailers and distributors in the videogame industry. It may not be the same in other retail industries, but for games, retailers and distributors take the hit when games are marked down.
#75SheepinatorPosted 12/17/2012 9:42:13 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
I worked game retail for a decade, NEVER ONCE did we ever send a check to any developer or publisher after we sold their games.

100% of all price cuts are eaten by retailers and distributors in the videogame industry. It may not be the same in other retail industries, but for games, retailers and distributors take the hit when games are marked down.

I never said retailers sent a check back, did I? No. As if you would even know how your finance department at the company did its accounts anyway. And before you repeat what what you're claiming a third time, you might want to look into the concept of reserves and market development funds. These are part of the earnings reports the publishers file, for which the CEO's can go to to jail if there is fraud.
---
#76TheBlueStigPosted 12/17/2012 9:45:30 AM
Sheepinator posted...
As if you would even know how your finance department at the company did its accounts anyway.

I'm the one that did the paperwork, I saw the numbers and knew where 100% of the income money was going at all times.

Maybe if you weren't such a corporate shill you could figure these things out....but you're too busy kissing the ass of MicroSoft and EA to figure out how things really work.
#77SheepinatorPosted 12/17/2012 9:46:54 AM
Sheepinator posted...
I never said retailers sent a check back, did I? No.

---
#78_OujiDoza_Posted 12/17/2012 9:48:55 AM
Somebody ring the damn bell!
---
GT: PrinceDoZeR
http://is.gd/vVHjV1
#79TheBlueStigPosted 12/17/2012 9:56:36 AM
Sheepinator posted...
Sheepinator posted...
I never said retailers sent a check back, did I? No.

Sheepinator posted...
you can't assume that 100% of that discount is being eaten by the retailer.

So who's eating it?

The developer/publisher already got PAID IN FULL as soon as their game left the warehouse.

The majority of game retailers can't send games back to the distributors, so they're taking 100% of the hit for a price cut to move stock off the shelves, otherwise it's the distributors who take the hit from mega-retailers like GameStop that DO have the ability to send games back.
#80cloudriveraPosted 12/17/2012 9:59:15 AM
All you people saying to get a job just don't know how to be patient or know where to look Just on Newegg alone you can get all new releases for $48 through preordering. This week you can get Halo 4 for $39.99. Forza Horizon was just $15 a few weeks after release. Developers mostly get money from suppliers buying their products in shipments, so usually it doesn't matter whether you bought the game for $59.99 or $29.99 as they will still get paid for any additional shipments plus the initial shipment they already got paid for.

Just because people are smart with their money doesn't mean they don't have jobs. Will you guys buy everything else full price without looking at alternatives? Yes it's your money and you can do whatever you want with it, but if you can clearly buy things cheaper I don't see why you wouldn't do it. People take advantage of Steam sales all the time, and other people complain when Xbox Live doesn't have any good deals at all.
---
currently playing: inFAMOUS, Halo 4