This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why would you buy full priced games for $59.99?

#91TheBlueStigPosted 12/17/2012 11:14:55 AM
Sheepinator posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
Sheepinator posted...
Let me just post Take Two's comments from their 10-K annual report SEC filing:

We are exposed to the risk of product returns and price concessions with respect to our customers. Our distribution arrangements with customers generally do not give them the right to return titles to us or to cancel firm orders.

The "customers" they talk about are DISTRIBUTORS, not retailers.

No developer or publisher deals directly with retailers, that's never been how it works and never will be. It's a very specific chain and hasn't varied in 40+ years of videogame retail.

First of all, not only are you wrong again, and we'll get to that in a second, but you've completely missed the point. That is, that when a publisher sells X million units of something and if that game sees heavy discounting, the publishers revenue can be reduced and they already attempt to forecast for this via their reserves. So the original argument of, "They got paid when it shipped. The end.", is an over-simplification. That revenue can be reduced later.

Again from Take Two:

We sell software titles to retail outlets in North America, Europe and Asia through direct relationships with large retail customers and third-party distributors. Our customers in North America include leading mass merchandisers such as Wal-Mart; specialty retailers such as GameStop; electronics stores such as Best Buy; toy stores such as Toys "R" Us; national and regional drug stores; rental outlets; and supermarket and discount store chains. Our European customers include Game, GameStop, GEM Distribution and Media Markt. We are dependent on a limited number of customers that account for a significant portion of our sales. Sales to our five largest customers during the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012 accounted for approximately 43.9% of our net revenue, with GameStop and Wal-Mart accounting for 19.0% and 10.7%, respectively.

(So according to their SEC filing, these sales to retailers are hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue, which again their executives can go to jail for if there is fraud, yet TheBlueStig claims they don't sell to retailers. Hmmm, whom to believe?)

GameStop uses a DISTRIBUTOR, always has, always will, same goes for every other big box retailer.

In order for a small retailer to use the same distributor as G$, they have to order $1 Million Dollars in product PER MONTH.

I talked directly to that distributor when I worked retail, and that's why we couldn't use them.

So for a publisher to claim they sell their games directly to retail, that's bulls*** and always will be to ANYONE that's worked in this industry on the ordering side of things.
#92darealest47Posted 12/17/2012 11:21:32 AM
Geist posted...
You can always tell when the younger crowd is posting

"Oh my GOD! 60$ is soooo much MONEY!!!"

It's too cute.

It's adorable lol
---
won't change this sig until pittsburgh steelers gets their 7th ring
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eVPxvaIzec
#93SheepinatorPosted 12/17/2012 11:32:45 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
So for a publisher to claim they sell their games directly to retail, that's bulls*** and always will be to ANYONE that's worked in this industry on the ordering side of things.

So not only are you still completely ignorant of the main point here, that publishers see reduced revenue through price concessions if something isn't selling well, your stance is now that the publishers are committing fraud with their SEC filings? Amazing...
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#94Res5Posted 12/17/2012 12:35:54 PM
If I want a game at that very moment I will buy it. It doesn't matter what it's price is. The only reason I got Sonic Generations at 40 instead of 60 was because the priced dropped just a little while before I got the game.
---
My theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjQ9tuuTJQ
Most people think they are the odd one out but never truly are. I am that one who actually is. :D
#95chrcolPosted 12/17/2012 12:46:29 PM
Why do people say support the developer?

The big chunk of profits goto the publisher, next biggest chunk to microsoft in royalties.
Small amounts goto the developer, manufacturer and retailer.

Also a full priced game is probably nearer 150usd and discount nearer 60-100usd based on DLC content.

A game like dragon age 2 someone would have to spend in the region of 200-250 usd to get all content, fable3 required over 250usd also.
#96JenniferTatePosted 12/17/2012 1:36:56 PM
Silent Sniper IV posted...
randomweirdo posted...
For example if you wanted to go buy Chrono Trigger when it came out, enjoy that $80 price tag and it sure didn't drop very much within a month. If anything, the games became harder to find the longer they were out.

Are you acounting for inflation or something? CT was $60 on release where i lived.

Chrono Trigger was $80 at Wal-Mart in Beaufort, SC. I know this because I worked my butt off to afford it, and the PX on the air station didn't even have it, and the closest Best Buy and other stores back then was in Savannah, GA, a good hour or so out. And so I had to buy it from Wal-Mart, on a rainy night after pleading with my dad to make the detour.

And I especially remember when it rang up and I had my fistful of twenties, because my dad raised an eyebrow and asked if I was sure I wanted to spend the $100 I had earned in lawns and dog walking.

Same deal with Final Fantasy 3, Secret of Evermore, and a few others. I remember FF3's price point was also an eyebrow raiser when I asked for it for my birthday.
---
I don't take the orders from the war room anymore
This is one recruit who surrenders
#97zinsindettaPosted 12/17/2012 1:54:01 PM
Arevin posted...
Would never buy games at full price anymore. Games are discounted about 1-2 weeks later.

I would rather pay the extra money to play it 1-2 weeks sooner.
---
Gamertag/PSN - http://gamercards.exophase.com/31441.png
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/CareerStats/default.aspx?player=SinZinDetta
#98Damon PlusPosted 12/17/2012 1:56:43 PM
Wait... so people are defending paying 60$ for a game with "get a job?"

I already have a job, but I buy games at half price or even less.

You pay 60$ for one game
I pay 60$ for two games, maybe even more if they are cheaper.

Get a job... pppfffff
---
Step back! This is my blast shot!
#99ChrisHanson24Posted 12/17/2012 2:03:48 PM(edited)
Gaebora Kaepora posted...
You have little to complain about. Come to Australia. The average AAA game is AU$90 here. With the US$ and AU$ at pretty much 1:1 (actually even better in our favour), we're getting shafted something fierce.

This is what happens when you have a $15/hr minimum wage.
#100SheepinatorPosted 12/17/2012 2:42:23 PM
Fwiw, US prices are quoted before sales tax, which is possible to avoid if buying via some online sources and depending on where you live. Going to a local store probably adds about 8.25%, so it's actually more like $65. UK and EU prices are inclusive of (even higher) taxes, 20% in the UK I think.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.