This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D within 1 year violent videogames wont exist

#341secondhand1Posted 12/19/2012 8:56:42 PM
DyingPancake posted...
Don't be dense

If you're going to say we would be better off with some sort of restriction or ban then you need to prove to me why. I've already done my part. Not one single person has provided any proof whatsoever on how a ban or restriction will benefit us

You're right about one thing though. This isn't a highschool debate. Because even in highschool both sides can give facts to support their side

But if your side - which is my side - is something might not be right and a bird's eye look at the situation may be in order, then how would you provide facts? Better yet, why should you?

This isn't a black and white issue. It isn't either ban/tighter restrictions vs. the wild west. It needs to be thought through. We can't have knee jerk reactions from either side that push their respective agendas with disregard for any opposition. That's what you're doing. That's what the government is going to do. It isn't right. Don't hide behind Constitutional Amendments or murder rates. Don't talk about how you, "know" that an armed populace is going to be this great deterrent. That's ignorant thinking and doesn't help anything.

I can't speak for anyone else in this topic, but my feelings are something just isn't right. I don't know what it's going to take. Maybe it's nothing. Maybe it's a combination of 20 things. I'd love to see a solution that is borne of responsibility and takes into account every possible angle to ensure all groups are taken care of. But I know I'm neither smart enough, nor in a position to try to engineer that solution.

And neither are you.
---
The inherent idiocy of youth often outweighs its many advantages.
#342TheBlueStigPosted 12/19/2012 10:18:34 PM
secondhand1 posted...
DyingPancake posted...
Don't be dense

If you're going to say we would be better off with some sort of restriction or ban then you need to prove to me why. I've already done my part. Not one single person has provided any proof whatsoever on how a ban or restriction will benefit us

You're right about one thing though. This isn't a highschool debate. Because even in highschool both sides can give facts to support their side

But if your side - which is my side - is something might not be right and a bird's eye look at the situation may be in order, then how would you provide facts? Better yet, why should you?

This isn't a black and white issue. It isn't either ban/tighter restrictions vs. the wild west. It needs to be thought through. We can't have knee jerk reactions from either side that push their respective agendas with disregard for any opposition. That's what you're doing. That's what the government is going to do. It isn't right. Don't hide behind Constitutional Amendments or murder rates. Don't talk about how you, "know" that an armed populace is going to be this great deterrent. That's ignorant thinking and doesn't help anything.

I can't speak for anyone else in this topic, but my feelings are something just isn't right. I don't know what it's going to take. Maybe it's nothing. Maybe it's a combination of 20 things. I'd love to see a solution that is borne of responsibility and takes into account every possible angle to ensure all groups are taken care of. But I know I'm neither smart enough, nor in a position to try to engineer that solution.

And neither are you.

How will you provide facts? Are you really that obtuse?

Look at all past gun restrictions, look at their effect on crime and firearm homicide rates. Look at restrictions of other things as well, look at their effect on crime.
Look at countries/places that DON'T have restrictions on those things and the amount of crime they have.
Also look at places that have lifted those restrictions and that effect on crime.

The past can sometimes be used to predict the future.

If you seriously think more anti-gun laws would have actually stopped ANY of the shootings, you're sadly mistaken. The criminals simply don't care how many laws are in place, especially if they're prepared to kill themselves. At that point they should be considered Terrorists, and all media coverage of their attack needs to stop immediately. Half of these idiots want their 15 minutes of fame, or worse, to be remembered as infamous. The TV news media is just playing right into their hands by literally flooding their names and their deeds into every home non-stop for days on end.

As always I want a serious answer to the following questions....

1. If you think gun bans/restrictions would be so effective, why haven't bans/restrictions worked to stop the proliferation of illegal drugs?

2. Why should the masses be punished for the actions of individuals?
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#343Halo_ForeverPosted 12/20/2012 1:28:27 AM
DXiRoNMaN posted...

The shooting in Norway is proof that banning guns doesn't work and doesn't prevent someone from going on a rampage. What European country is more "progressive" than Norway?

The ****? Norway has loads and loads of guns in private ownership, hunting is popular there. Breivik even tried to get guns from Prague but that failed, however he had no issue getting them legally in Norway. Norway is one of the most gun owning countries in Europe.

Regarding guns due note how Switzerland despite also being gun heavy doesn't have that much gun crime, however the weapons they keep at home are full length Assault Rifles, with the exception of medical and military postal workers who have handguns. However of their homicide the majority are done with firearms.

@The Blue Stig
Right now the UK is considered the most violent place in Europe because they have 4.37 times more violent crimes per 100,000 people than the USA does.

The denominators are different in the UK, making their statistic a bit overreported. Even then I'm a bit skeptic to whether the UK is really more dangerous than Moldova or Kosovo.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#344secondhand1Posted 12/20/2012 7:27:28 AM
TheBlueStig posted...

Look at all past gun restrictions, look at their effect on crime and firearm homicide rates. Look at restrictions of other things as well, look at their effect on crime.
Look at countries/places that DON'T have restrictions on those things and the amount of crime they have.
Also look at places that have lifted those restrictions and that effect on crime.

If you seriously think more anti-gun laws would have actually stopped ANY of the shootings, you're sadly mistaken. The criminals simply don't care how many laws are in place, especially if they're prepared to kill themselves. At that point they should be considered Terrorists, and all media coverage of their attack needs to stop immediately. Half of these idiots want their 15 minutes of fame, or worse, to be remembered as infamous. The TV news media is just playing right into their hands by literally flooding their names and their deeds into every home non-stop for days on end.

1. If you think gun bans/restrictions would be so effective, why haven't bans/restrictions worked to stop the proliferation of illegal drugs?

How do you know?

You don't. And neither do I. That's my point. The problem isn't gun control or lack thereof. It's blind idiots who who can't step back from the situation and realize that there might be more creative ways to address this.
---
The inherent idiocy of youth often outweighs its many advantages.
#345WinternovaPosted 12/20/2012 8:02:45 AM
secondhand1 posted...
How do you know?

You don't. And neither do I. That's my point. The problem isn't gun control or lack thereof. It's blind idiots who who can't step back from the situation and realize that there might be more creative ways to address this.

Exactly. We need research and discussion with any and all options available. Throw out preconceived notions and come up with what works for our society now.
---
Psalm 137:9 Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks
#346liam_000Posted 12/20/2012 8:16:50 AM
I'll start to believe that video games create violent killings the day someone gets arrested for killing a pig by catapulting a bird at it
---
gamertag; OozyCrayfish
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the whole ******* world.
#347RayzerTagPosted 12/20/2012 8:39:31 AM
What makes this shooting different from all the other ones?
---
#teambrad
http://i.minus.com/iAXtLWueScaM0.gif
#348TheBlueStigPosted 12/20/2012 8:49:58 AM
secondhand1 posted...
TheBlueStig posted...

How do you know?

All it takes to say that more anti-gun laws won't work is just ONE school shooting in a place with a full civilian gun ban, and that's already happened a few dozen times.

And you still didn't answer the questions.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#349AApt24Posted 12/20/2012 9:02:25 AM
Hard for something to not exist after it existed for all this time. Its not like my copy of GTA IV will just disappear. So no, not even close.
---
"This Year in Jerusalem."
#350pothocketPosted 12/20/2012 9:04:01 AM
C/D within 1 week this topic won't exist
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson