This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamers Called to Not Play FPS Games for 24 Hours: Sandy Hook Vigil

#1NintendologicalPosted 12/18/2012 3:17:37 PM
Gamers are being urged to down their weapons on Friday as a mark of respect to the victims of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.

The campaign has been launched by gamers amid a fierce debate about the cultural influence of violent video games.

Several newspapers and high-profile people in both the UK and US have criticised violent games in recent days. Some have even sought to make a direct link between the killer and the fact that he was a gamer.

Others have criticised those comments, arguing in part that millions of people buy violent video games and virtually none ever commit any act of real-life violent crime.

The Facebook group calling for the one-day ceasefire- Day Of Ceasefire For Online Shooters - said it is staying out of the debate on responsibility for violence, but wanted to hold the event as a mark of respect.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/12/18/osceasefire-gamers-hold-boycott-sandy-hook_n_2321144.html?utm_hp_ref=technology&ir=Technology
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#2CalistoCoonPosted 12/18/2012 3:21:28 PM
Other countries have just as many violent video games, movie, music and they don't have as many shooting massacres as the US, it's about as silly as blaming it on the weather.

The issue here is an inadequate system for the care of people with obvious danger signs and the availability of guns, anything else is just an attempt to distract you from those two things.

I appreciate people doing things to honor the dead, but saying video games influenced him just isn't true.
---
GT:Emotional Hobo
#3Arucard05Posted 12/18/2012 3:22:44 PM
Dumb.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Home of the world famous Retroulette™.
#4DragoonAngerPosted 12/18/2012 3:25:05 PM
Doing that would be acknowledging that video games had any sort of influence over this, so no. How about a vigil that doesn't advance an asinine political agenda?
---
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/863/kenshiroqs6.gif
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/extremejon/1206682497641.png
#5shawnmckPosted 12/18/2012 3:31:50 PM(edited)
Yeah, its pretty pathetic.
Instead of dealing with the real issue, which is getting these individuals with mental issues the help they need, they prefer to attack things (inanimate objects) that really have no correlation.
Its all mass hysteria, perpetrated by the News Media and those politicians that want to take advantage of a National tragedy to further their political agenda (gun control & video-game control).
And these are supposed to be smart & intelligent people, but in fact they are nothing but propagandists and media whores.

And I really wish they would stop covering it, because they are basically giving the shooter his 15 minutes of fame, which is going to attract more crazy people to want to one-up the guy so that they too can get attention.
Its devolved into a circus of fear and political posturing....however all they are really doing is causing mass hysteria.
#6GeistPosted 12/18/2012 3:28:21 PM
Sorry, just got Halo 4 so that's just not going to happen.
---
Currently playing : RDR
#7CalistoCoonPosted 12/18/2012 3:30:04 PM
shawnmck posted...
Yeah, its pretty pathetic.
Instead of dealing with the real issue, which is getting these individuals with mental issues the help they need, they prefer to attack things (inanimate objects) that really have no correlation.
Its all mass hysteria, perpetrated by the News Media and those politicians that want to take advantage of a National tragedy to further their political agenda (gun control & video-game control).
And these are supposed to be smart & intelligent people, but in fact they are nothing but propagandists and media whores.

I dunno, Gun Control is more on topic then video game censorship, if he killed people with copies of video games, then I'd say it's okay to blame them, but he used guns, so it's perfectly fine to be talking about gun control, if you don't agree with them, that's fine, but it's a natural reaction to bring it up.
---
#8KryingKetchupPosted 12/18/2012 3:30:44 PM
It's time for America to take a look at their constitution. Times have changed.
#9MirageMew2Posted 12/18/2012 3:32:17 PM
This is dumb lol.
---
"My father put me in P.O.R.N. when I was young. P.O.R.N., you know, Parents Offering Recreation and Nutrition?"
NNID: Dope _ Kharisma
#10CalistoCoonPosted 12/18/2012 3:33:56 PM
KryingKetchup posted...
It's time for America to take a look at their constitution. Times have changed.

Are you suggesting there's a difference between muskets and weapons that can fire hundreds of shots in a minute? Because I'd have to agree with you, while I'm not saying we repeal all guns.

But do you remember how effective it was for Australia in 1996? The number plummeted after their massacre and new laws and regulations where passed?

If not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_control#Gun_control_in_Australia
---