This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

THQ files for BANKRUPTCYNOOOOOOO!!

#1zerooo0Posted 12/19/2012 12:24:07 PM(edited)
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/19/thq-files-for-bankruptcy?abthid=50d20e67e87dc0e853000060

NOOOOOOO NOOOOO NOOOOOO. THQ don't go under PLEASE, ya made amazing games like Darksiders this gen, and while Homefront flawed, was still a good game and deserves a sequel. PLEASE THQ don't go under.

Wishes best of luck for them.

Edit:UPDATE GUYS

Guys they updated the link. THQ will continue work on their IPs that they are developing.

This is a Chapter 11 Bankruptcy report in U.S. Courts. Don't know what that means, but they're hoping to partner with someone that will help them out.
---
"When the solution is simple, God is answering" -Einstein
#2CapnStankyPosted 12/19/2012 12:07:15 PM
I don't care. The franchises won't go away. The good ones will get bought by other publishers. Saints Row will definitely live on, as will the South Park game they've been working on. Darksiders 2 was a bit of a flop, so who knows if they'll make a third.
---
GOTY 2012 Candidates: Sleeping Dogs, Mark of the Ninja, Borderlands 2, Forza Horizon, Halo 4
#3AkaimizuPosted 12/19/2012 12:09:25 PM(edited)
Kind of a shame as they actually did release a couple of pretty nice games. They must've spread themselves too thin or something. Maybe had a lot of throwaway titles to go with the big releases. (Ala. Metro 3d)

Though I should probably not mention much of Metro 3d. They break CapnStanky's line of good ones get picked up by somebody else. Alas. Metro 3d's good titles kind of died with them.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#4shawnmckPosted 12/19/2012 12:10:16 PM
They are still going to release Metro: Last Light I hope...?
If not, then some other Publisher will likely pick it up.

Its really sad too, because they try to make really good games.
Problem is that being a small publisher a lot of people don't care to support them, thus buying games used or waiting for drastic price drops.
When they needed cash, there just wasn't enough support by the consumers in mass.

But this may not be the end....there is still a slight chance that they can recover.
Although they might just close shop altogether too.
#5SheepinatorPosted 12/19/2012 12:14:03 PM
THQ is a great example of something I've been saying for a while now, which is that the middle ground is dead.

Licensed games was their bread and butter previous cycle, that business died early this cycle. They tried to reinvent themselves with quality original IP however overall console game sales have been declining while sales of the top handful of franchises have been rising, and costs have been going up. Everything in the middle is being squeezed from multiple directions. Whether that's the economy so some people only buy CoD and Madden/FIFA and that's all, or used games, or people getting free to play and $1 apps, etc.

THQ made good games but they weren't good enough to keep them in business in this environment where only the top few games can return decent profits. They needed a breakout hit franchise and they never had one, the likes of GTA for Take Two, Battlefield for EA, CoD for Activision.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#6zerooo0(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2012 12:18:20 PM
Sheepinator posted...
THQ is a great example of something I've been saying for a while now, which is that the middle ground is dead.

Licensed games was their bread and butter previous cycle, that business died early this cycle. They tried to reinvent themselves with quality original IP however overall console game sales have been declining while sales of the top handful of franchises have been rising, and costs have been going up. Everything in the middle is being squeezed from multiple directions. Whether that's the economy so some people only buy CoD and Madden/FIFA and that's all, or used games, or people getting free to play and $1 apps, etc.

THQ made good games but they weren't good enough to keep them in business in this environment where only the top few games can return decent profits. They needed a breakout hit franchise and they never had one, the likes of GTA for Take Two, Battlefield for EA, CoD for Activision.

Sadly this is so true. I was hoping that SouthPark game could have been the start of an epic money making franchise for them, but sadly we may not get it now.
---
#7The_Dark_Slay3rPosted 12/19/2012 12:18:48 PM
I hope Saints Row ends up somewhere good.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000325-xbox-360-general-social
#8The MeatmanPosted 12/19/2012 12:19:46 PM
Hopefully we'll get good wrestling games now.
---
Do you like the taste of meat in your mouth?
#9zerooo0(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2012 12:23:27 PM
Guys they updated the link. THQ will continue work on their IPs that they are developing.

This is a Chapter 11 Bankruptcy report in U.S. Courts. Don't know what that means, but they're hoping to partner with someone that will help them out.
---
#10OrgeLambartPosted 12/19/2012 12:28:07 PM
Saints Row was good, they clearly milked the third one in a failed attempt to generate some revenue. I'm pretty sure some bigger company will come along and swallow them up. Unfortunately i'm thinking it'll be EA games... They tend to love eating the competition, taking the best franchises, milking them for a few years, then silently doing away with the company.