This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

THQ files for BANKRUPTCYNOOOOOOO!!

#21Just_The_TipPosted 12/19/2012 12:59:44 PM
Sheepinator posted...
THQ is a great example of something I've been saying for a while now, which is that the middle ground is dead.

Licensed games was their bread and butter previous cycle, that business died early this cycle. They tried to reinvent themselves with quality original IP however overall console game sales have been declining while sales of the top handful of franchises have been rising, and costs have been going up. Everything in the middle is being squeezed from multiple directions. Whether that's the economy so some people only buy CoD and Madden/FIFA and that's all, or used games, or people getting free to play and $1 apps, etc.

THQ made good games but they weren't good enough to keep them in business in this environment where only the top few games can return decent profits. They needed a breakout hit franchise and they never had one, the likes of GTA for Take Two, Battlefield for EA, CoD for Activision.

Well said. It's like a microcosm of the US economy.
---
Bernard, don't be a tuna head
#22DXiRoNMaNPosted 12/19/2012 1:01:34 PM
Bcowman posted...
DXiRoNMaN posted...
can't Obama just save them?

Everyone knows that guy, the one that turns everything into political BS.

Nobody likes that guy.

mad bro?
---
XBL- DXiRoNMaN PSN- DXiRoNMaN WiiFC- 7177 5213 2278 2695
"I'm like the only smartest one on this board with like 5 other people." - some moron
#23CalistoCoonPosted 12/19/2012 1:07:38 PM
There's one reason and one main reason why THQ is having all these problems and pretty much everyone saw it coming.

Homefront
---
GT:Emotional Hobo
#24BcowmanPosted 12/19/2012 1:08:29 PM
DXiRoNMaN posted...
mad bro?

Super mad.
#25GunzleaderPosted 12/19/2012 1:23:59 PM
nooooooo i need saints row IIII... don't go under!!!!!!!
---
im not a troll sorry if i offend you in anyway. RIP Everquest Online Adventures 2003-2012
#26glyde69Posted 12/19/2012 1:34:04 PM
Sheepinator posted...
THQ is a great example of something I've been saying for a while now, which is that the middle ground is dead.

Licensed games was their bread and butter previous cycle, that business died early this cycle. They tried to reinvent themselves with quality original IP however overall console game sales have been declining while sales of the top handful of franchises have been rising, and costs have been going up. Everything in the middle is being squeezed from multiple directions. Whether that's the economy so some people only buy CoD and Madden/FIFA and that's all, or used games, or people getting free to play and $1 apps, etc.

THQ made good games but they weren't good enough to keep them in business in this environment where only the top few games can return decent profits. They needed a breakout hit franchise and they never had one, the likes of GTA for Take Two, Battlefield for EA, CoD for Activision.

Well said, Sheepinator. Agree completely.
---
Gamer Tag: Wally Digital PSN name: Wally Digital Wii Code:2550-7930-3602-5785
#27Devil_wings00Posted 12/19/2012 2:08:48 PM
That sucks, quite enjoyed many of there properties but I'm sure it will all the popular ones will be bought up by someone. As the long as the properties live on, I know this will sound rude, I don't really care about the money behind them. No sense in getting sentimental about a corporation's failure.
---
3570k @ 4.6, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, 2 Mushkin Chronos in raid0, 1TB WD black.
#28zerooo0(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2012 2:56:44 PM
CalistoCoon posted...
There's one reason and one main reason why THQ is having all these problems and pretty much everyone saw it coming.

Homefront

Homefront actually made THQ profit
---
"When the solution is simple, God is answering" -Einstein
#29clippjoint2Posted 12/19/2012 3:01:37 PM
so who will buy the Saints Row Franchise ?
---
*** L.A. KINGS 2012 Stanley Cup Champs ***
#30Super CreaturesPosted 12/19/2012 3:05:46 PM
clippjoint2 posted...
so who will buy the Saints Row Franchise ?

Nobody?

Because, if you had bothered to read the topic before posting, you would have seen that they aren't shutting down, meaning they aren't selling their IPs.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.