This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your Favorite Game Franchise of All Time?

#71legacygrimPosted 12/20/2012 3:33:01 PM
My top five:

1.Star Wars Battlefront

2. Knights of the Old Republic

3.Metal Gear

4. Mass Effect

5. ____________

The fifth spot on this list was recently vacated by Resident Evil.
#72Hawke0Posted 12/20/2012 3:34:02 PM
Metroid, Resident Evil, Pikmin, Halo...
---
C2 FC: 0562-2516-9316
"it has teh b noobeh, it k1ll3d meh an iem the best cod playr evar"-90% Of the CoD fanbase.
#73thelovebatPosted 12/20/2012 4:09:21 PM
MGS was for a while, then it was Mass Effect.

After Bioware pooped on the series and the lore with Mass Effect 3 (as well as that poor novel Deception) it kinda went back to MGS.
---
"Too bad you can't reload your game and try again." Cassidy- Fallout 2
#74TheFeshPincePosted 12/20/2012 4:17:44 PM
I would say Mass Effect and Battlefield.
---
You wanna make me a sandwich?
#75hhjghbhghnmhPosted 12/20/2012 4:23:05 PM
All the Megaman series except Star Force
Metroid
Kirby
Monster Hunter
Donkey Kong Country
---
Barrel!
#76Vyse_skiesPosted 12/20/2012 4:43:46 PM
Shenmue, if you can even call it a franchise. If not then probably Resident Evil pre- RE6.
---
My ignore list is exclusive to trolls only. I should warn you though, it's crowded and the trolls imprisoned within are mean, anti-social and well... ignored.
#77LethalbuttersPosted 12/20/2012 5:22:40 PM
Dragonball Z Budokai
Or
Timesplitters
---
It won't budge.
#78MatrixAndrAIaPosted 12/20/2012 6:06:30 PM
Nintendological posted...
MatrixAndrAIa posted...
R-Type - now and forever. This series of games drew me in harder than any other shoot em up ever made.

Now that is an interesting choice. R-Type and other shmups are linear play experiences. I do love the genre though (Blazing Star, Darius Gaiden, Raystorm). What is it that draws you to R-Type in particular?

Sorry about the long response time - had to work this morning...

R-Type in particular drew me in hardest from summer 2008. I ordered R-Type Final and spent the entire summer playing it, knowing I could do better, knowing I could master it. I played for three solid months before I got R-Type Delta, and then I played that for another three solid months. I was good enough to one life the game on Normal with the R9, a point of pride for me. I also had R-Types for the Playstation, and I fell in love with R-Type II, despite how rage inducingly hard it is. I used to play R-Type Leo on MAME - really great game.

R-Type's symbolism, especially in Delta and Final really called out to me, all of the Bydo babies, that they're becoming more like their human parents, and the imagery in stage F-A of Final, with the silhouettes in the background, and the way you fight the Bydo Core, almost like the beginning and ending of life. It's just amazing.

Gameplay wise, Delta and Final got rid of something that I absolutely hated in shoot em ups - the ****ing speed powerup. Letting us readjust our speed at will to our level of comfort was fantastic. Another thing was not killing you when you bumped the ship along neutral ground in Delta and Final. There were a lot of times in those two particular games that I used that to great effect to avoid getting shot down or crashed into.

Been a gamer since 1984, and shoot em ups were a staple of those early days on my dad's TI99 computer. Parsec in particular, before we moved on to the NES, with Gradius and Life Force, and while I like those games, none of them resonate as strongly as the R-Type series does for me!

**Obviously I have a lot of passion for it. =)
---
Your name is sung and tattooed now on my heart - here I will carry you forever
Carry Tori Amos
#79snacktimeguyPosted 12/20/2012 6:40:53 PM
Pokeman
---
Black 2 FC: 4556-8058-7693
#80Nintendological(Topic Creator)Posted 12/21/2012 6:30:38 AM
MatrixAndrAIa posted...

Sorry about the long response time - had to work this morning...

R-Type in particular drew me in hardest from summer 2008. I ordered R-Type Final and spent the entire summer playing it, knowing I could do better, knowing I could master it. I played for three solid months before I got R-Type Delta, and then I played that for another three solid months. I was good enough to one life the game on Normal with the R9, a point of pride for me. I also had R-Types for the Playstation, and I fell in love with R-Type II, despite how rage inducingly hard it is. I used to play R-Type Leo on MAME - really great game.

R-Type's symbolism, especially in Delta and Final really called out to me, all of the Bydo babies, that they're becoming more like their human parents, and the imagery in stage F-A of Final, with the silhouettes in the background, and the way you fight the Bydo Core, almost like the beginning and ending of life. It's just amazing.

Gameplay wise, Delta and Final got rid of something that I absolutely hated in shoot em ups - the ****ing speed powerup. Letting us readjust our speed at will to our level of comfort was fantastic. Another thing was not killing you when you bumped the ship along neutral ground in Delta and Final. There were a lot of times in those two particular games that I used that to great effect to avoid getting shot down or crashed into.

Been a gamer since 1984, and shoot em ups were a staple of those early days on my dad's TI99 computer. Parsec in particular, before we moved on to the NES, with Gradius and Life Force, and while I like those games, none of them resonate as strongly as the R-Type series does for me!

**Obviously I have a lot of passion for it. =)

I only have a passing familiarity with R-Type, so thank you for sharing that story. In fact, I rarely know the plots to shmups. I played Giga Wing VERY often when that game came out. Beat it with every character. I couldn't tell you the plot other than one of the pilots fighting for the orphanage she ran. I can tell that R-Type is more than just a franchise for you. It's good to see players making that kind of passionate connection with their games. Not obsessive and creepy, but truly passionate. That is how one knows that a game is made an impact beyond the instant gratification of the raw experience.
---
Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia