This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The game that let you down the most this generation?

#31Shadow_ZomaPosted 12/22/2012 3:37:51 AM
Final Fantasy XIII, no contest. As an old-time fan of the series (started with FFIV on the Snes) I was a bit disappointed with the PS2 installments in the series (don't get me wrong, they were still good games, just lacking the magic of earlier games), but nothing prepared me for the utter abomination that is FFXIII. Terrible convoluted and horribly written story, horrendous level design, uninteresting world, boring battle system. Even though it's not the worst game I ever played, it is one of the few games I actually hate.
#32KOTRwhoopsPosted 12/22/2012 3:41:48 AM
hulkhogan1 posted...
KOTRwhoops posted...
Easy, Resident Evil 6. I'm a huge long time fan of the series. I even loved the change up that 4 & 5 made but 6 was a train wreck and an insult to the series and was a poor game anyway even if you ignore the RE title.

I haven't played RE6, but RE5 seemed pretty disappointing compared to RE4. But similar to my last post, I didn't really get too far into it, so maybe the game got better as it went along. I might give it another chance at some point.

I can understand why people didn't like RE5 but I did love it. The co-op was the best experience I've ever had tied with Borderlands 1/2. The game was accessible and fun, the weapon upgrades were addictive and I love playing through the games with different approaches. I can't guarantee you will like it, but find a friend to play through with and I think most people would really enjoy the game.
---
PLAYING - Far Cry 3 (360), Walking Dead (360), Tales Of Graces f (PS3)
MOST WANTED - FFvsXIII, GTAV, Ni No Kuni, Tales Of Xillia, Lightning Returns
#33Juggernaut215Posted 12/22/2012 3:47:26 AM
FF XIII - Not that its a horrible game but it just didn't have the FF feel. It's the 1st Final Fantasy that's every bored me.
#34PhoenixUltimaPosted 12/22/2012 3:50:21 AM
Does FF12 count as this generation? Because that's the game that disappointed me the most in recent memory. I've been a fan of the series since 4, and 12 started out so good, but as the game goes along it gets more and more inundated with MMO-style ****, until near the end where I had to basically stop doing any optional stuff and just power through the tedious, anti-climatic rest of the game.

Otherwise I'd have to go with FF13. I wasn't expecting it to be great after 12, but it failed to even live up to that level. FF13 is one of the worst games I've ever played, and damn but I hate to have to say that about a Final Fantasy game.
---
I'm the captain of the gravy train!
#35SeaArrKingPosted 12/22/2012 4:35:13 AM
J2006 posted...
Vashel posted...
Castlevania Lords of Shadow, not saying is a bad game but I just couldn't get into it.

This.
I'm probably one of the rare few who liked the 3D Castlevanias (Lament of Innocence and especially Curse of Darkness), but I couldn't get into Lords of Shadow.

Oh my, I also enjoyed Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness, and I'm always glad to say good things about them.

As for Lords of Shadow, well, I enjoyed it for what it is: a reboot of the Castlevania series that heavily favors fantasy over the original series' Gothic influences and eventual Eastern touches, such as katanas and whatnot. To me, Castlevania was a great melding of Eastern and Western ideas: the Dracula story and Gothic literary conventions were conceived in the West, and Konami used those as a foundation to create a series based around hunting vampires and other such creatures of the night. I'll admit that Lords of Shadow was missing many pieces of the great Castlevania puzzle that Konami put together over the years, but it did offer a fresh take on the story and I enjoyed its many nods to the older games from the previous canon.

Anywho, as for my biggest let down this generation, I guess I'll go ahead and say Lollipop Chainsaw. It was fun the first time through, but became stale and tedious the moment a second play through began. The worst part of it all is that multiple play throughs of each level are required in order to unlock everything, and man, the game just wasn't as cool the second, third, or even fourth time around. I feel that if the game only required one play through to get everything, that'd be peachy, but then it wouldn't be worth sixty bucks, so the game took a strange route to squeeze every hour of play out of players: unlockables required ungodly amounts of the in-game currency to procure, and by forcing completionists like myself to grind for that currency the developers tricked us into believing that the game was "robust" and therefore worth the sixty dollars we spent on it.

tl;dr, Lollipop Chainsaw wasn't worth the original price of sixty dollars. I still love Grasshopper Manufacture, but man, I hope their next sixty dollar game is worth the price.
---
If only I could be so grossly incandescent.
3DS Friend Code: 0989-2264-8970
#36angry_cowtipperPosted 12/22/2012 4:38:33 AM
Uncharted 3, after Uncharted 2 being done so well.
---
Far Cry 3, Don't Starve (PC), AC3 (PS3), Dungeon Defenders (AND), Gravity Rush (VITA)
#37vigorm0rtisPosted 12/22/2012 4:43:33 AM
Mmmm... I dunno. Brink, maybe? It could have been brilliant, a game-changer. Terrible, terrible execution.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#38KOTRwhoopsPosted 12/22/2012 4:45:11 AM
PhoenixUltima posted...
Does FF12 count as this generation? Because that's the game that disappointed me the most in recent memory. I've been a fan of the series since 4, and 12 started out so good, but as the game goes along it gets more and more inundated with MMO-style ****, until near the end where I had to basically stop doing any optional stuff and just power through the tedious, anti-climatic rest of the game.

Otherwise I'd have to go with FF13. I wasn't expecting it to be great after 12, but it failed to even live up to that level. FF13 is one of the worst games I've ever played, and damn but I hate to have to say that about a Final Fantasy game.

FFXII doesn't count but would be my nomination for last gen for similar reasons. Like you said the first 10-15 hours were great. Then the story went to pretty much non existent and all that kept it going was the battle system whic was pretty bad as well.
---
PLAYING - Far Cry 3 (360), Walking Dead (360), Tales Of Graces f (PS3)
MOST WANTED - FFvsXIII, GTAV, Ni No Kuni, Tales Of Xillia, Lightning Returns
#39SunDevil77Posted 12/22/2012 4:49:51 AM
Duke Nukem Forever.
While it's not awful, it certainly wasn't worth over a decade of wait.
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#40ArcFan10000Posted 12/22/2012 4:50:32 AM
Final Fantasy 13
---
Favs: Xenogears, Phantasy Star, Star Ocean, Arc the Lad, Tales of Destiny 2, Suikoden, Final Fantasy
Playing:Tales of Vesperia on 360, Tales of Graces f