This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Doctor states that there is no link between violent crimes and video games

#1Hucast9Posted 12/23/2012 9:18:32 AM
What he's saying is exactly my belief as well. Going out on a rampage with guns is genetically decided, and is not the product of what you see on tv or games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWqaE4ClAq4
#2SunDevil77Posted 12/23/2012 9:36:17 AM
I wish I was a doctor...things I say would actually matter.
---
These people are meat virgins. They'll be taken by the grill and delicately and tenderly be shown the ways of flavorful meat love. The first time is beautiful.
#3TheBlueStigPosted 12/23/2012 9:36:27 AM
Genetically decided?

Care to prove that half-assed theory?

That's just as stupid as all the other "people are born that way" theories that get debunked all the time.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#4Last VampirePosted 12/23/2012 9:40:41 AM
Plenty of doctors have stated the opposite as well.

The truth is that we don't know either way, but there is something to be said for desensitization, which is a different matter entirely.
---
[Exit, pursued by a bear.]
GT:
LafayetteV
#5TheBlueStigPosted 12/23/2012 9:43:15 AM
Last Vampire posted...

The truth is that we don't know either way, but there is something to be said for desensitization, which is a different matter entirely.

Actually we do know, the matter was heavily looked into by the Supreme Court and the decision was handed down that games don't turn people into killers, neither does music, or movies, or books, or art.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#6Gwildor123Posted 12/23/2012 9:43:52 AM
You don't see Hitler, Mossulini, Hoe Ching Ming (From Vietnam), Moe See Tongue (Dictator from China) and all the other evil warlord playing any Video Game back then. They are evil with out having games around.
---
Stelio, Stelio Kantos, Stelio
#7JKSonicPosted 12/23/2012 9:44:06 AM
I don't see why people need studies or anything else for this because it's common sense to me. If there was a true link for the average person there would be MANY MORE EXAMPLES of it.

The true link isn't Videogames - Anybody.... it's Anything (games, movies, books, music) - Psychopaths
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#8RunetheKoopaPosted 12/23/2012 10:09:27 AM
Gwildor123 posted...
You don't see Hitler, Mossulini, Hoe Ching Ming (From Vietnam), Moe See Tongue (Dictator from China) and all the other evil warlord playing any Video Game back then. They are evil with out having games around.

You forgot Stalin and Cromwell.
#9Last VampirePosted 12/24/2012 9:50:24 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
Last Vampire posted...

Actually we do know, the matter was heavily looked into by the Supreme Court and the decision was handed down that games don't turn people into killers, neither does music, or movies, or books, or art.

Yeah, but that is a stupidly disingenuous oversimplification of the argument.

The contention that people have isn't whether games turn people into killers, it's whether violent media (including video games) increases aggressive tendencies and/or desensitize us to violence.

Reality is complicated.
---
[Exit, pursued by a bear.]
GT:
LafayetteV
#10Parkers_PeterPosted 12/24/2012 9:53:26 PM
Doctor States? What's his first name? Fifty?
---
Gojira