This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The reason why XBL isn't free.

#31hotgamer90Posted 12/24/2012 9:35:39 AM
The truth is that because people pay money for Xbox Live, the service is better designed and maintained. The system for maintaining a friends list, party services (like playing the same game together or even watching a movie over netflix), comparing achievements, messaging, and even the little avatar system works wonderfully.

Playstation's services just don't match up. Heck, even the way the connection works isn't that great. In the various games I've played, I would say I get dropped connection easily 5 times more likely with my PS3 than I do with my Xbox.

Now, bringing PC into this kinda changes things up. Before Steam was around, there was no standardization between online games. It was impossible to play with friends in most games or even finding decent pick up games. And when you did, the servers weren't well maintained so there is drops all the time. Steam really helped change that and is the only real alternative to Xbox Live. So yeah, I will conceed here.

But since we are talking about PC games, let's bring MMO's into this. Anyone who knows a thing about MMO's know that once a game goes free to play, its more or less the kiss of death for that system and quality drops immensely. The number of servers suddenly drop down, its hard to get customer support when something technical happens, and any enhancements that would have benefited the game are just not up to par, come out at a slower pace than needed, or just never come out at all.

Yes, Microsoft is out to make money, so charging for Xbox Live is a great benefit to them. However, a certain degree of that $60 a year we are paying is turning right around and improving and maintaining the system to make it better than most other offerings we have.
---
The harder the game, the more likely you will scream and try to throw the game out of the window.
360 GT - BeyondLimitatio
#32NintatterdemonPosted 12/24/2012 9:38:34 AM
OP doesn't understand how "profit" works
#33DarthVashtiPosted 12/24/2012 9:48:50 AM
Geist posted...
It's 60$ people, that's hardly worth ten plus years of crying. Get over it already.

This.

Also if you put in about 10 seconds of effort you could get the year for less.
#34HENTAIDOJI(Topic Creator)Posted 12/24/2012 9:56:40 AM
XaznzaX posted...
HENTAIDOJI posted...
Because Sony and Nintendo haven't made a Halo killer yet.

Same with World of Warcraft.

Thanks for sharing. But....what is the point of this? You just HAD to see your (simple and rather small minded) opinion up in lights?

I want Sony and Nintendo to take some responsibility for not making a Halo Killer like they promised, thus resulting in Xbox live being a chargeable service.
---
http://nopybot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/hentai-demotivational1.jpg
#35TheBlueStigPosted 12/24/2012 10:06:41 AM
It's not free to keep game servers up and running and policed LONG after Sony and Nintendo have shut down servers for the same games.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#36DanTheTimidPosted 12/24/2012 10:15:11 AM
As stated many times, reason is that people pay for it. If people will pay, its hard to imagine a business that wouldn't charge. I'm not going to judge them, Microsoft or the people who pay, to each their own. Heck, Microsoft got their money out of me form the fact I bought their console first. Whether or not they care that I never paid for their online and because of that fee to play online and the number of games I wanted to play online that were multi-platform I eventually abandoned ship, purchased a PS3, and have not purchased a game for my dusty old 360 in years. My guess is no.

Some may say that with the money I spent on a ps3 (got it when it went down to 300) I could have just paid to play online with my 360 for these last 5 years, and I'm not going to deny its true. While the real solution would have been for me to have done my home work, found out PSN was free before opting for the 360 over the ps3 way back when, having made that decision I opted to cut my losses by getting a ps3. Ultimately, financial mistakes aside, it did give me access to console exclusives on two major consoles (albeit most 360 exclusives are multi-player heavy games, thus the lack of 360 game purchases) as well as the piece of mind that I'm not wasting money daily by not playing online which was ultimately the real deciding factor behind my decision. Stupid as it may be, as some one who works 50+ hour weeks and rarely gets to play any of his games anymore as it is, knowing I'm paying for online access I can rarely use really bothers me.
#37buddhamonsterPosted 12/24/2012 10:16:03 AM
hotgamer90 posted...
The truth is that because people pay money for Xbox Live, the service is better designed and maintained. The system for maintaining a friends list, party services (like playing the same game together or even watching a movie over netflix), comparing achievements, messaging, and even the little avatar system works wonderfully.

Playstation's services just don't match up. Heck, even the way the connection works isn't that great. In the various games I've played, I would say I get dropped connection easily 5 times more likely with my PS3 than I do with my Xbox.

Now, bringing PC into this kinda changes things up. Before Steam was around, there was no standardization between online games. It was impossible to play with friends in most games or even finding decent pick up games. And when you did, the servers weren't well maintained so there is drops all the time. Steam really helped change that and is the only real alternative to Xbox Live. So yeah, I will conceed here.

But since we are talking about PC games, let's bring MMO's into this. Anyone who knows a thing about MMO's know that once a game goes free to play, its more or less the kiss of death for that system and quality drops immensely. The number of servers suddenly drop down, its hard to get customer support when something technical happens, and any enhancements that would have benefited the game are just not up to par, come out at a slower pace than needed, or just never come out at all.

Yes, Microsoft is out to make money, so charging for Xbox Live is a great benefit to them. However, a certain degree of that $60 a year we are paying is turning right around and improving and maintaining the system to make it better than most other offerings we have.

/topic
---
Hey Trashcan Man! What did old lady Semple say when you burned her pension check?
Boston Bruins - 2011 Stanley Cup Champs!
#38Jpsyence77Posted 12/24/2012 10:18:22 AM(edited)
If you want the service, you gotta pay. Fewer and fewer things are free, most of the time you gotta pay.
---
http://oi42.tinypic.com/eipfg4.jpg
#39AkaimizuPosted 12/24/2012 10:22:43 AM
hotgamer90 summed it up for me. I couldn't say it better. Maybe about the same level, but definitely not better. All points made in that post pretty much sum it all up for me, and I own all the consoles.
---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#40ArtefPosted 12/24/2012 10:31:43 AM
DividerByZero posted...
HENTAIDOJI posted...
No point being free if there's no Halo killer.

No point being free even if there is a Halo killer.

And there is, btw . . . it's called CoD.

Which is better on 360 in every aspect.

How do you figure? its the exact same thing... even for pc, its not something you can mod like skyrim etc. You are paying for the exact same thing the pc and ps3 users get, EXACT same thing, except you're paying for online. So you pay 60$ for the game plus money to play it online, what do you get dlc earlier? whoopdi doo,
---
The bush looked at me funny, so I blew it up, but sadly, I could only put 6 peices of c4 on it :( What? I dont have a problem * click kaaaaaaaaaboooooooooom*