This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The reason why XBL isn't free.

#51zzamaroPosted 12/24/2012 11:32:44 AM
TrickyPony posted...
triple s posted...
kidwgm posted...
triple s posted...
It's not free because they have millions of subscribers that are willing(or forced) to pay for it...

People are forced to pay for something? lol No.

If you want to play online on the 360, you have no choice...

Key word "want"

Want =/= forced

No. I want to play for free, and I used to do that on my Wii. I wasn't forced to pay when I wanted to play it.
---
[This signature was deleted at the request of the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo.]
#52TrugamerPosted 12/24/2012 11:33:50 AM
I forgot to add GoW into that equation as well but it's easy for me to overlook since I never have liked it.
I did enjoy Halo in the Halo2 days but soured on the series when they started taking away your match making options if you didn't buy the maps and have not taken the series seriously since in regards to online gaming.
#53wildog2006Posted 12/24/2012 12:01:14 PM
DividerByZero posted...
HENTAIDOJI posted...
No point being free if there's no Halo killer.

No point being free even if there is a Halo killer.

And there is, btw . . . it's called CoD.

Which is better on PC in every aspect.

there ya go, i fixed that for you
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.
PSN- irysh9............................Battle.net- irysh#1743
#54MertensCWPosted 12/24/2012 12:11:45 PM
popping4it posted...
execs need private jets.

2nd beach house and a third one abroad.
---
Few Favorites- Ninja gaiden 1-2, Colony Wars 1-3,Xenogears,MarioKart,Lunar 2 GTA:SA,S&K,FF6-7,Zanac,S.Metroid,SMB2,NFL2K5,Halo 2, NG2,Vanquish,Witcher 2.
#55Mutant1988Posted 12/24/2012 12:11:57 PM
P2P still use master servers to find other players.

And server maintenance is something that costs money.

The difference between Microsoft and other console manufacturers is that you pay for this upkeep. On the other, the game publishers do.

So Microsoft isn't greedy as much as every other company being generous. Well, as generous as it to support a product you're selling. Someone has to pay for it anyway. It could be argued that this is paid for with the retail purchase, but with costs of development rising and the price of games remaining at $60, is that really true any more?

So yeah... There is a reason why they charge for it.

Would I rather not pay? Definitely. But I do understand that all that money doesn't go straight into some executive's pockets.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#56nedrithPosted 12/24/2012 12:17:24 PM
zzamaro posted...
ThePowerOf140 posted...
Microsoft can technically justify their charging for XBL, given that their servers are much more secure than either Sony or Nintendo's.

It's unlikely that MS will ever have the problem that Sony faced with the mass account hacks.

Yeah...right:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=23483

Heh yea, people will someday learn that MS just hides their problems for PR reasons, god forbid people get warned their account could of been compromised and forced to change their password is bad for PR.

The reason XBL isn't free, quite simple really. Your paying for MS to give you your money back if you do what they want you to do. Take surveys get MS points, Play Halo 4 giving MS even more money and get addicted to it get MS points. Then of course you are paying for all the extra advertisements and such. It's more wealth re-distribution than anything.

It's far different than why WoW is free, which is because it's a constantly updated game with a very minor cash shop not because there aren't better MMOs or it's the most popular MMO. If that was the case then the plenty of other $15/month MMOs wouldn't exist.
#57OrangeSchweesePosted 12/24/2012 12:22:20 PM
Yep. This was pretty obvious the first time I played a 360 five years ago.
#58Trent_RestonPosted 12/24/2012 12:45:04 PM
60 dollars isn't that much these days considering how much gas and everything else cost. Buy yourself a few packs of cigarettes and you're bound to spend more than you would on a year subscription of Xbox Live.
---
Welcome to GameFAQs where stating your opinion is an open declaration of war.
#59johnluke728Posted 12/24/2012 1:11:16 PM
Microsoft needed that money in the past because the XBOX Devision was that far in debt. XBOX Live subscriptions helped them get out of the 5 billion capitol (If that's a proper average?) hanging over their heads. It's part of what's making the XBOX profitable, and more reliable online with paid staff on board maintaining things full-time.

Sad to say, but that's just the way it works and may stay that way in the future. $60 a year is cheaper than Netflix and you get way more than just online game services, so that's not too much for anyone besides little kids without a checking account to complain about. Would be nice if simply playing games online was free, and maybe without ads considering you're paying for it, but there's way more to it than that now. If you have to have free online, get a PS3 or PC and don't even bother with multiplatform games on an XBOX.
---
http://shantaefanforums.tk/ <-- Huge fan of the Shantae games? Then you should check the first fan forum that's all about the belly-dancing half-genie!
#60HeyZeussPosted 12/24/2012 1:21:06 PM
The only thing that's pissed me off about paying for xbox live (other than actually paying for it) is recently having to see Justin f****** Biebers f****** face on my dashboard.