This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When Microsoft shuts down Xbox Live for the 360, what will happen to all my DLC?

#21Lum_YatsuraPosted 12/27/2012 11:39:36 AM
Renamon posted...
Ive said it before and I'll say it again, I doubt MS will shut down XBL just because a new console is released, XBL now feels like it will be able to handle the new console.

But it's still a long ways off, so don't worry about it.

Nobody's talking about shutting down Live completely, the discussion is about what happens when MicroSoft shuts down access to Live for 360's just like they did to original XBox systems.

They did completely shut down original Live. You can't play Xbox games online or download Xbox DLC you purchased, even if attempting to use a 360 to do so.
---
What's the buzz? A high voltage positive ion attack!? Chaaa!
#22NintatterdemonPosted 12/27/2012 11:39:47 AM
Things were a lot different during the Xbox/PS2 generation. If they were to do it now, there would be far too much outrage and they'd lose the trust of millions of gamers. It won't happen.
#232DshmuploverPosted 12/27/2012 11:56:38 AM(edited)
I don't see why it would be shut down, XBL online infrastructure is far too established to just close shop and I'm certain it will simply move over to the next gen machines with a new design (as we've seen every couple of years since MS are adaptable unlike Sony/Nintendo), there's really no reason for it not to.

Even then you can now back up all your downloads to external HDD/Flash drives/burn to DVD. You can even transfer it to your PC for safe keeping if you want. If I'm wrong and everything does shut down then this stuff is all over the net anyway, you would be able to download it from Xbox 360 pirate sites since you already have the official license to use it on your Xbox. I even came across a site the other day which hosts every single title update for 360 ever. Bottom line is, don't worry about it.
---
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.
GT: cloudskipa
#24TheBlueStigPosted 12/27/2012 12:12:18 PM
Lum_Yatsura posted...
Renamon posted...
Ive said it before and I'll say it again, I doubt MS will shut down XBL just because a new console is released, XBL now feels like it will be able to handle the new console.

But it's still a long ways off, so don't worry about it.

Nobody's talking about shutting down Live completely, the discussion is about what happens when MicroSoft shuts down access to Live for 360's just like they did to original XBox systems.

They did completely shut down original Live. You can't play Xbox games online or download Xbox DLC you purchased, even if attempting to use a 360 to do so.

That's just shutting down access to Live for original systems and specific content, that doesn't require a full shutdown of Live itself to accomplish, all they need to do is scan the hardware and deny it access if it doesn't meet requirements.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#25metroidman92Posted 12/27/2012 12:44:59 PM
We already saw this with the DLC for Kotor and Halo 2. Once MS shut down those servers, they were lost.
---
I'll be in my bunk...
One does not simply walk into Skuldafn.
#26Vyse_skiesPosted 12/27/2012 2:34:52 PM
Nintatterdemon posted...
Things were a lot different during the Xbox/PS2 generation. If they were to do it now, there would be far too much outrage and they'd lose the trust of millions of gamers. It won't happen.

I somewhat agree. I think people will be skeptical about buying games if this happens. I mean, I've spent around 100, but know people have spent hundreds. Imagine all of that disappearing. You're not likely to download next gen if it happens. I know for a fact that I won't if all my purchases disappear. I mean, games like Bastion would be hard to get hold of. I don't think it would be hard for them to keep the same interface, the same gamer tags, the same everything. Just build the console so that it's compatible with everything this gen. Makes sense and it would truly keep microsoft followers on board. The old Live was only starting out, there wasn't anything special on it and Microsoft were not even taking much money for purchases. But taking 40 off someone and then denying them their purchases is just wrong and in a sense theft.
---
My ignore list is exclusive to trolls only. I should warn you though, it's crowded and the trolls imprisoned within are mean, anti-social and well... ignored.
#27Silent Sniper IVPosted 12/27/2012 3:14:01 PM
I think backwards compatibility is going to be key next gen. PS3 seems to be leaning that way with downloadable ps1 games and starting to open up to ps2/other digital downloads. PC lets you play games as far back as dos so you're pretty confident that your steam purchases stay relevant for the most part. Live would be making a disastrous decision if they cut off people's current digital library next system.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#28Super CreaturesPosted 12/27/2012 5:08:02 PM
It astounds me how many doomsayers forget the simple fact that XBL today is far more integrated into every service MS offers than the original XBL was.

Of course, they wouldn't be doomsayers without their ability to ignore the facts that make their speculation look like BS.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#29Choir_of_WolvesPosted 12/27/2012 5:11:42 PM
New Playstation will have the Playstation Store.
New Xbox will have Xbox live.
New Wii has the Nintendo Store, same as all recent systems.

Not a difficult concept, really.
---
all posts in this topic are negated if the poster has not listened to the first six Black Sabbath albums. those who disagree will be modded.
#30top_gunsPosted 12/27/2012 6:14:38 PM
this is why i will never buy a dd only console, i get a feeling that everything will be able to carry over, my fear is, say for example the ps4 is download only and then sony goes on to go bust what will happen to the games downloaded
---
Yes I know what the Champion's League is, it's the division under the Premiership---minifidel on the fifa bord