This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Headset discussion again.

#1BrownPackPosted 12/28/2012 12:53:35 AM
I used to have the Turtle Beach X11's. When I had them, I used to think they were the best headset ever at the time. Everything worked perfectly then. I loved the talkback feature on there, which seems to have failed miserably with the X12's.

Since then, I now have some Astro A40's, but I really miss how well the X11's mic and talkback feature worked. I don't have that headset anymore because I lent it to a friend because he didn't have one, and then his house got broken into and all of his Xbox 360 stuff was stolen.

Well, in short, I'm happy with the Astro A40's, but I really want to get another headset that has a great talkback function like the X11's did. I have quite a bit of money now, and am willing to spend up to $100 (I'll go higher if the headset is really worth it) to get a good headset with a great talkback. I'm considering getting some X11's again if I can ever find them anywhere, but they are discontinued, so I would like to get what I can.

Inb4 "get a Tritton" Tritton makes the WORST headsets. Tritton is backed by Mad Catz, and Mad Catz makes the worst gaming peripherals ever, so I will NEVER buy Tritton or Mad Catz no matter what.
#2KneesockPosted 12/28/2012 12:58:20 AM
Have you heard 'bout THE Combo?
#3CapwnDPosted 12/28/2012 1:01:27 AM(edited)
The X11 are way too loud for the people you are talking to.

Do you want the best of the best? Or the best? Or something acceptable?

--Best of the Best is DSS2 + Mixamp + PC360. Total is about $400.
--Best is Mixamp 2013 + PC360 for about $330
--Acceptable may be using the DSS2 + PC360 (and about $20 in cables for chat) for about $300

If you already have the A40 + mixamp, just throw a DSS2 unit into the mix along with a 3.5mm male to male patch cable. Cost would be about $80. That's what I do, except I'm using the PC360 headphones instead of the A40.

What I do is I use the DSS2 for the game sound, and I plug the patch cable from the output of the DSS2 into the input of the Mixamp Mp3 jack. Then I use the Mixamp for chat, and plug the headphones into the mixamp. turn off Dolby Digital on the mixamp, and turn the mixamp voice volume all the way up, and the overall volume all the way up. Adjust the game sound with the DSS2.
---
Thrash Zone
#4KneesockPosted 12/28/2012 1:02:24 AM
The mention of headsets is like catnip for CaPwnD.
#5BrownPack(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2012 1:03:23 AM
Kneesock posted...
Have you heard 'bout THE Combo?

I hope you're not trolling. If not, then what is that?

CaPwnD posted...
The X11 are way too loud for the people you are talking to.

Do you want the best of the best? Or the best? Or something acceptable?

--Best of the Best is DSS2 + Mixamp + PC360. Total is about $400.
--Best is Mixamp 2013 + PC360 for about $330
--Acceptable may be using the DSS2 + PC360 (and about $20 in cables for chat) for about $300

If you already have the A40 + mixamp, just throw a DSS2 unit into the mix along with a 3.5mm male to male patch cable. Cost would be about $80.

What I do is I use the DSS2 for the game sound, and I plug the patch cable from the output of the DSS2 into the input of the Mixamp Mp3 jack. Then I use the Mixamp for chat, and plug the headphones into the mixamp. turn off Dolby Digital on the mixamp, and turn the mixamp voice volume all the way up, and the overall volume all the way up. Adjust the game sound with the DSS2.

So, these setups you speak of, do they help my talk back function? Will I be able to hear myself talk easier? I didn't elaborate on it much in my original post, I'm sorry. I'm fine with how the A40's sound as is, (I wouldn't mind an affordable upgrade if possible) but I'd really like a headset with same if not better quality than the A40's, with a mic that allows me to hear myself talk.
#6CapwnDPosted 12/28/2012 1:04:18 AM
To clarify the setup.... what your'e doing is having the DSS2 process the sound (it does it wonderfully and very loud and powerful), and that is going into the MP3 jack of the mixamp. The mixamp passes that right through, and the volume is controlled by the DSS2. The Mixamp is not amplifying that sound at all.

What the mixamp is doing is using the amplifier soley for chat. So you turn it all the way to chat instead of game, and turn the volume up as high as you want (probably all the way).
---
Thrash Zone
#7CapwnDPosted 12/28/2012 1:06:02 AM(edited)
with a mic that allows me to hear myself talk.

Ahhh... no. The setups I mentioned will not help that. The DSS2 alone gives no voice through your own headphones. the other setups are about as loud as it is for you now.
---
Thrash Zone
#8CapwnDPosted 12/28/2012 1:20:11 AM
i've thought about coming up with some kind of amplification for voice with my setup, but I've not implemented anything yet. I've got some ideas though.
---
Thrash Zone
#9BrownPack(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2012 1:25:05 AM
CaPwnD posted...
i've thought about coming up with some kind of amplification for voice with my setup, but I've not implemented anything yet. I've got some ideas though.

ahh, damn, I see. I really appreciate your help though. I wish I could just combine several things from different headsets.

Mic + talkback feature from TB
Mixamp from Astro
Headphones from Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic, etc.

The Astro A40's, although they aren't the best headphones out there by any means, are way better than the X11's in terms of sound, but I really really miss the ability to hear myself talk. I don't know why, but that meant a lot to me.
#10BrownPack(Topic Creator)Posted 12/28/2012 1:43:48 AM
Crap. I made another mistake. The thing I've mistakenly been referring to as "talkback" is actually mic monitoring.