This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone remind me why Walking Dead is GOTY again?

#31MirageMew2Posted 12/30/2012 12:22:15 AM(edited)
GOTY isn't by your definition TC. It's a collective decision, regardless of how one person feels. Sure, it could've been 10 hours long, but it's not about replay value. It's about the lasting effect it has on gaming as a whole. TWD was a defining adventure game that raised the bar for the genre and in storytelling. And being "easy" isn't even a factor, as it's not a game that tries to be hard.. So basically, TC, you just sound dumb.

EDIT: To the poster that said ME3 was a crap story.. Just quit gaming.
---
"My father put me in P.O.R.N. when I was young. P.O.R.N., you know, Parents Offering Recreation and Nutrition?"
NNID: Dope _ Kharisma
#32darkharePosted 12/30/2012 12:25:45 AM
the walking dead won game of the year because the story was the gameplay, the limited interaction you had in the game wasnt so limited because it had behind it the emotion of the story. the game also came in chapters, and it took over a month for each chapter to come out so that actually added to this kind of game, having a chance to talk with others on where we thought the story would go etc. the combination of these things made the game, not a game at all but a interactive novel you got to experience and share with your friends. my wife and i played every chapter together and we would spend the month talking about what we thought would happen next waiting for the next chapter to come out.
---
i thought i ate 'em all, but i looked down and saw another one!!!
#33singhellotakuPosted 12/30/2012 12:52:45 AM
Mostly its because it was a real dull year for gaming and Walking Dead was one of the few games that really stood out as unique, no its probably not GOTY, but I can't think of something else that should be either.
#34badboyPosted 12/30/2012 1:04:13 AM
Best game of the year? No.
Best story (in a game) of the year? Yes.
#35NinjaN00B1Posted 12/30/2012 1:28:44 AM
I haven't played it yet, so I guess it be worth a try then?
---
YT: SuperNarniaBros
#36mtjormitchPosted 12/30/2012 1:30:39 AM
MirageMew2 posted...
GOTY isn't by your definition TC. It's a collective decision, regardless of how one person feels. Sure, it could've been 10 hours long, but it's not about replay value. It's about the lasting effect it has on gaming as a whole. TWD was a defining adventure game that raised the bar for the genre and in storytelling. And being "easy" isn't even a factor, as it's not a game that tries to be hard.. So basically, TC, you just sound dumb.

EDIT: To the poster that said ME3 was a crap story.. Just quit gaming.

I am sorry, but if ME3 can have a damn Plinkett level review on how bad, not just the ending, but the entirety of it. You are fooling yourself. Sadly, even Twilight has a better story structure than the ME series does now. There is no choice, there is only failure.

Also AC3 has a good story... in the first half then it literally goes down such a slop afterwords that it is almost comical on how horrible it gets. The ending is basically ME3 but without choice so you don't feel the sting as badly.

A game with a story is good, a game with a bad story set in a franchise and go off and die in a corner with no one to care about them.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#37mtjormitchPosted 12/30/2012 1:39:48 AM
FFTHEWINNER posted...
mtjormitch posted...
all_that_juice posted...
I bought it yesterday when it was on sale and finished it this afternoon. Don't get me wrong I thought it was a great weekend rental, but not much more than that. I just don't think a game that is finished in one or two sittings should be GOTY no matter how good it is. Sorry, that's just how I feel. It was interesting and I think I got my $10 worth, but I probably would have felt ripped off if I had spent $20 to $30 on it like most people did.

I think one of the reasons people like it so much is because it's so easy. I think people don't like games that are difficult. They don't like dying, having to go back and do stuff over again. TWD addresses this by making everything extremely easy so even a child can play it, and if you die you only need repeat a few seconds to a minute of gameplay at most.

When it won GOTY a few weeks back, I was one of the people who didn't play it but still complained. Now that I've played it, I take back some of the things I said. It wasn't a bad game. I still stand by what I said about it not being GOTY though. Care to tell me why I'm wrong? I forgot all your arguments from a few weeks back. I didn't have much of a leg to stand on anyway since I hadn't played it. Now that I played it I feel I can properly defend myself.

Because a story based game is better than non story based games. Sorry man. but AC3, ME3 and many other games have crap stories and interesting gameplay... they just aren't good... at all.

i usually agree with you but how the f*** was the story in ME3 crap???!!! Are you f***ing kidding me???!!! Other than the ending,the story was as awesome if not better than TWD. Heck,that scene with mordan was one of the greatest and saddest scenes i have ever seen in a video game.

Bioware messed up so much with the writing and design of 3 that you cannot actually fix it. No one, not even Bioware could. The ending... basically it is the worst ending in fiction... possibly ever. That alone puts it in the crap list. Also, sorry, but the journey is more fun than the destination is a flat out lie when the creators promise a great destination.

The Mordin part. Sorry to say man, but it is only emotional because they effectively fooled you into thinking this series has deep characters. After 2 you should have expected crap, ME2 was also pretty garbage in terms of actual plot importance.

If you want a good storytelling game with great characters, buy The Last Story. That at least has something called 'writing'.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#38FFTHEWINNERPosted 12/30/2012 3:53:28 AM
mtjormitch posted...
FFTHEWINNER posted...
mtjormitch posted...
all_that_juice posted...
I bought it yesterday when it was on sale and finished it this afternoon. Don't get me wrong I thought it was a great weekend rental, but not much more than that. I just don't think a game that is finished in one or two sittings should be GOTY no matter how good it is. Sorry, that's just how I feel. It was interesting and I think I got my $10 worth, but I probably would have felt ripped off if I had spent $20 to $30 on it like most people did.

I think one of the reasons people like it so much is because it's so easy. I think people don't like games that are difficult. They don't like dying, having to go back and do stuff over again. TWD addresses this by making everything extremely easy so even a child can play it, and if you die you only need repeat a few seconds to a minute of gameplay at most.

When it won GOTY a few weeks back, I was one of the people who didn't play it but still complained. Now that I've played it, I take back some of the things I said. It wasn't a bad game. I still stand by what I said about it not being GOTY though. Care to tell me why I'm wrong? I forgot all your arguments from a few weeks back. I didn't have much of a leg to stand on anyway since I hadn't played it. Now that I played it I feel I can properly defend myself.

Because a story based game is better than non story based games. Sorry man. but AC3, ME3 and many other games have crap stories and interesting gameplay... they just aren't good... at all.

i usually agree with you but how the f*** was the story in ME3 crap???!!! Are you f***ing kidding me???!!! Other than the ending,the story was as awesome if not better than TWD. Heck,that scene with mordan was one of the greatest and saddest scenes i have ever seen in a video game.

Bioware messed up so much with the writing and design of 3 that you cannot actually fix it. No one, not even Bioware could. The ending... basically it is the worst ending in fiction... possibly ever. That alone puts it in the crap list. Also, sorry, but the journey is more fun than the destination is a flat out lie when the creators promise a great destination.

The Mordin part. Sorry to say man, but it is only emotional because they effectively fooled you into thinking this series has deep characters. After 2 you should have expected crap, ME2 was also pretty garbage in terms of actual plot importance.

If you want a good storytelling game with great characters, buy The Last Story. That at least has something called 'writing'.

1:Worst ending ever in fiction??!! You say you have been gaming since the nes,which means that you have played hundreds of games where the ending is simply two words that say "the end",and you still say that this ending is the worst??!! Dude,go play ghosts n goblins and see its two ends then comeback. Heck,to stop you from saying"they didnt have the means to make an emotional ending bc of the hardware"(which is,as proven by mother 3,a lie) i will tell you to go and play KOTOR2 and watch its dark ending. The whole f***ing ending is just the camera flipping. And no,this isnt bc the game was rushed bc the ending doesnt change even with the restoration mod. Are you seriously trying to tell me that an ending that is composed of the screen flipping is better than ME3's ending??!!

2:so,you are saying that +90 HOURS of pure awesomness and +60 HOURS of great story(as ME2's story wasnt that good) has been magically nullifed by a 5 MINUTES bad ending?!! LOL.

3:How the hell die they "fool me into believing the series has deep characters??!! That phrase is so illogical it aint even funny.
---
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png
#39Mutant1988Posted 12/30/2012 4:08:45 AM
Simple: It made people care about the characters in the game.

Unlike every other game, where they're simply just characters, in a video game.

It's all about the emotional connection. It's a novelty, a rarely seen one in video games. And it is a video game, in spite of some people's narrow definitions of what that entail.

I think it's good that it has been given GotY from various sources. Perhaps that will motivate other developers to make better characters.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.