This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Connecticut town collecting and destroying games

#61LapanuiPosted 1/3/2013 7:07:01 AM
BlueJester007 posted...
People are just stupid. That's how it is unfortunately.

The real issue here is not video games. It has nothing to do with them AT ALL.

It is more about the more personal issues Mr. Lanza had.
He was autistic and had access to weaponry. What needs to happen because of this incident is a law that prevents mentally unstable people from buying or even accessing any type of weaponry.

This is just common sense, but it appears it is just not so common. Shame.

Me and my Dad had a discussion about this. They should do background checks on the whole family, maybe even people who live in your area just to make sure there aren't people around you that could have something wrong with them.

Making sure nobody was mental illnesses, a criminal record, etc.

allan247 posted...
lol bulletstorm... really? who even played that game

I played it and enjoyed it quite a bit. Once you get past the characters spewing out profanity every 2 seconds, it's a pretty good game. The Skillshots were a really fun feature of the game.
---
Intel i7 930 @ 3.2GHz, Zalman CNPS10X Extreme, EVGA x58 FTW Motherboard, Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3, EVGA GTX 570, Corsair HX 650W Modular PSU.
GT: Zichu
#62Arucard05Posted 1/3/2013 7:09:12 AM
Me and my Dad had a discussion about this. They should do background checks on the whole family, maybe even people who live in your area just to make sure there aren't people around you that could have something wrong with them.

Making sure nobody was mental illnesses, a criminal record, etc.

That's silly. You want the gun because of that crazy guy in your neighborhood.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Go there now! Or don't. Whatever man.
#63Super CreaturesPosted 1/3/2013 7:26:25 AM
BlueJester007 posted...
What needs to happen because of this incident is a law that prevents mentally unstable people from buying or even accessing any type of weaponry.

1. Laws are already in place to prevent those with mental illnesses from purchasing firearms.

It's called a background check, and it is a felony to lie about having a mental illness.

2. Accessing any type of weaponry?

Does that include that steak knife a restaurant might give you, or that hammer in the hardware store, or the legally purchased gun kept in a locked gun safe 200 miles from their home that they went to steal from someone?
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#64The Top CrusaderPosted 1/3/2013 7:26:59 AM
MacBookAir posted...
shawnmck posted...
MacBookAir posted...
RPGNinja123 posted...
This is the kind of stupidity that allowed Obama to get elected for 2 terms. People are just ignorant and brainwashed.

These types of people are usually conservative.

^ Connecticut is a very Democrat heavy State.
It's Governor is Dan Malloy (Democrat), and Senator is Richard Blumenthol (Democrat).
Previous Governors & Senators were also majority Democrat.
And Obama won Connecticut by a good margin.
That is NOT a Conservative State.

So congratulations for spouting ignorant nonsense.

Did I say they were? No. I said usually. Secondly, I live in a heavily republican state, with just about all representatives in Congress republican, and Romney won our state by a landslide. Does that mean every one here is conservative? No, in fact my town is fairly liberal. Finally, a majority of the senators that are campaigning/volleying against video games ARE conservative/republican.

Checketh thyself before thou recketh thyself.

...when did that happen? It's always the democrats trying to ban violent games... Tipper Gore, Hillary Clinton, and Joe Liberman were all huge into that...
---
----
-----
#65BlueJester007Posted 1/3/2013 7:41:51 AM
Super Creatures posted...
1. Laws are already in place to prevent those with mental illnesses from purchasing firearms.

It's called a background check, and it is a felony to lie about having a mental illness.

Obviously, that is not good enough because Lanza still had access to weaponry.

2. Accessing any type of weaponry?

Does that include that steak knife a restaurant might give you, or that hammer in the hardware store, or the legally purchased gun kept in a locked gun safe 200 miles from their home that they went to steal from someone?

I was talking about more about 'guns' when I said "any weaponry". But who's to say Lanza couldn't have walked on campus with a machete to kill a bunch of people? If that's the case, then yes. If you can't use a knife correctly, then how do you expect to use a gun correctly. And before you say "guns are easier to use", knifes are too.
---
Look, if you want me to go take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I can. I got spare time.
#66SquallWindbladePosted 1/3/2013 7:45:32 AM
So here's a hypothetical situation for ya:

Let's say I live in Connecticut (hereafter referred to as "The CT") and I have some kind of predisposition to violent behavior. If someone purchases a violent game and gives it to me, The CT believes that it is the responsibility of the store, or the game manufacturer. However, neither of these folks provided the game for me. The responsible party must logically be the individual who provided the game and/or my caretaker for allowing the game to be given in this manner.

A second, for the gun control folks:

I'm a badguy. I purchased my weapon off of the back of a van in a city somewhere because I know a guy who knows a guy. Clearly, proper gun control laws would stop the man from selling guns out of the back of his van, and gun control laws would certainly stop me from using it. It is the gun control laws that would stop this entire string of illegal activity, right?

Of course, as Mr. Badguy, I have to really thank my congress for making sure that when I go out to kill innocent folks, I'm the only one out there with a gun. If the Law Abiding Citizen (starring Russel Crowe and Jamie Foxx) were to also have a weapon, I might actually wonder if I'm going to come to harm... but since the Law Abiding Citizen (see above) can't obtain them... I'm free and clear to shoot whomever I'd like.

It was definitely gun control that would've stopped the shooter from taking out a school full of kids... oh wait... firearms are already prohibited on school properties... why did his gun still work if the school prohibited them? I thought it was gun control laws that made guns unusable to badguys?
---
Sorry, this dispenser is entirely out of craps, and we are unable to fulfill your request for two craps. Try again later, thank you.
#67DiScOrD tHe LuNaTiCPosted 1/3/2013 7:45:45 AM
I am so goddamn sick and tired of these idiotic parents blaming games/gamers/everything but themselves for things that go wrong. The ones who buy 10 year old little Billy the latest cool game because he really wants it, then get shocked when they see him blowing people's heads apart, and get upset because they didn't do thirty seconds of research on Wikipedia and want to absolve themselves of the poor decision to buy it for him.

I am a gamer. If you want to get technical about it, I've been gaming for 30 years, ever since I first played Pac-Man, but I've been hardcore gaming for 20. And I'm part of the Doom generation; i.e., I was there when Doom was shareware. I love FPS games. Doom, Quake, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Halo, all of 'em. If you added up all the time I've spent in my gaming life as it pertains to 'genres played', FPS would come in #2, and that's only because I also play RPGs and they are of course massive timesinks.

And guess what? I've never killed anyone. Guess what else? I own two guns. One handgun, one rifle. Never been looking down the scope of my rifle and thought "Hey, I could take someone out from half a mile." Never been lining up the tritium sights of my handgun and thought "Man, 14 shots would be 14 kills with the right hits." And do you know why I've never thought that? Because I'm not a psychopath with emotional issues like Lanza was.

The argument is: "Would he have been able to kill so many without the large assault-weapon style magazines?" Almost certainly he would not have, but the weapon is not what made him a killer. The weapon was just the tool he used to express his madness. His life experiences, his brain chemistry, whatever, that was what made him a killer. It wasn't video games, it wasn't movies. Can you imagine how many NPCs I've killed in 20 years? How many people I've beaten on multiplayer in the past 8? And yet I have killed no one in real life. Why not? Again, because I'm not a psychopath with emotional issues like Lanza was.

Video games are the easy target, I get that, but if you really want to blame something, blame the person who commits these atrocities.
---
"It's not about money, it's about sending a message. Everything burns."
#68Super CreaturesPosted 1/3/2013 8:07:12 AM
BlueJester007 posted...
Obviously, that is not good enough because Lanza still had access to weaponry.

Which he stole (already a felony, as far as I'm aware) from his mother and murdered her (yet again, already a felony).

Again, we come back to my locked gun safe scenario.

Or would you blame the owner of the locked gun safe if somebody murdered them and stole the guns they kept locked up, even if that person lived 200, or 2000, miles from the owner of that gun safe?

Hell, what if he somehow killed a cop and stole any firearms the cop may have had (sidearm, backup, possible shotgun and/or rifle, etc), would you then be blaming the cop, and saying cops shouldn't have access to firearms, because somebody might kill them and steal those firearms?
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#69Raziel-LegacyPosted 1/3/2013 8:40:47 AM
Super Creatures posted...
Which he stole (already a felony, as far as I'm aware) from his mother and murdered her (yet again, already a felony).

Again, we come back to my locked gun safe scenario.

Or would you blame the owner of the locked gun safe if somebody murdered them and stole the guns they kept locked up, even if that person lived 200, or 2000, miles from the owner of that gun safe?

Hell, what if he somehow killed a cop and stole any firearms the cop may have had (sidearm, backup, possible shotgun and/or rifle, etc), would you then be blaming the cop, and saying cops shouldn't have access to firearms, because somebody might kill them and steal those firearms?

If only all our guns had the fingerprint system. That would have stopped Adam Lanza from the beginning. The only problem I see with that is unregistered guns: whose fingerprint do they defaultly have? The gun store owner's?
---
Were they so debased as to recruit fledglings from the desiccated corpses here interred?
#70cheo229Posted 1/3/2013 9:07:22 AM
I wouldn't mind trading Crackdown 2 for a $70 bowling gift certificate.
---
xbox live gamertag: cheo228