This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Connecticut town collecting and destroying games

#81FredSavage27Posted 1/4/2013 1:54:52 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
You think it simply can't happen in the USA, but there's survivors of the concentration camps with serial numbers tattooed on their arms living in the USA right now who are openly saying that it's the same things happening all over again.

There may be some things that are perceived as similar, but it's not exactly the same. For example, the Holocaust was kind of important. Where is government-sanctioned genocide happening in the US?

Even legitimate Nazi analogies are quickly discredited because it's such an overdone and widely misused comparison.
#82TheBlueStigPosted 1/4/2013 10:27:37 AM
FredSavage27 posted...
There may be some things that are perceived as similar, but it's not exactly the same. For example, the Holocaust was kind of important. Where is government-sanctioned genocide happening in the US?

Even legitimate Nazi analogies are quickly discredited because it's such an overdone and widely misused comparison.

Denial Much?

Just because the holocaust hasn't happened doesn't mean that none of the other similarities count.

Americans are losing their freedoms faster now than ever before. And those things are not "perceived" as similar, they're EXACTLY THE SAME. If anything it's worse now because the surveillance is far more thorough now than it was back then.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#83FredSavage27Posted 1/4/2013 3:52:01 PM
Let's back up to the post that brought up Nazi Germany in the first place:
BJW1980 posted...
Its nice to know Nazi Germany is alive and well in the U.S. Makes me wish I was Canadian.

Even as an exaggeration, it implies that any differences between today's US and Nazi Germany are trivial. Having a spineless president and an ineffective congress instead of a dictator is not a small difference. The Holocaust was kind of a big deal. Trivializing these things is uninformed at best and insulting at worst.

Godwin's Law was stated as an observation of how overdone the Nazi analogies are, and that was more than 20 years ago.
#84rdking96Posted 1/4/2013 4:06:37 PM
"The organization made clear it is not linking violent games directly to the killings at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Instead, they suggest that now is a suitable time for parents to engage their children in discussions about whether or not playing violent games is appropriate."

Bull ****ing ****. I've never seen someone walk a finer line.

I think I'm gonna go listen to "Bulls on Parade" and slaughter about 50 pigs on Far Cry 3. See ya!
---
"If life gives you melons...you might be dyslexic."
360 Gamertag: The Sticky Emu
#85rdking96Posted 1/4/2013 4:10:34 PM
One more thing...

I'd like to voice my opinion on an important causing factor to all these shootings. The media covers them 24/7 for weeks on end, and people become nearly fanatical over the different facts and stats. So-and-so shot x number of bullets in x number of seconds. He had red hair and lived with his single mother. He used this gun. He woke up at this time.

This just in: A high majority of these shootings are caused by people that have had social and popularity struggles in school and in life. By covering these shootings with such a fanatical following, you're only perpetuating these tragedies. You're giving them exactly what they want - their brief, yet broad claim to fame.
---
#86CaIiber345Posted 1/4/2013 4:10:53 PM
LotrMorgoth posted...
If that helps them feel better by all means. . .

I just hope that the coping skill will last them when unpreventable tragedies continue to occur and there isn't anything left to burn

Meanwhile I will continue to play violent video games and continue my education as a professional counselor

This. Except I'm not a professional counselor (my sis-in-law is, though). I'll continue playing violent video games, and then go to work and capture the people that do violent things in real life.
---
When all else fails, and you're being overrun, grab a meatshield.
Hail HYDRA!
#87rdking96Posted 1/4/2013 4:16:20 PM
temgun posted...
Go to Gamestop, buy something **** for like a dollar and sell it for 25 dollars. Imagine the profit!

Brilliant actually...let's go take all their money. You in?
---
#88schmittycent2Posted 1/4/2013 4:19:53 PM
The guy was old enough to purchase violent games, if people have a problem with underage kids playing M rated games they should talk to the parents.
---
Xbox GT schmittycent
#89TheBlueStigPosted 1/4/2013 4:47:33 PM
rdking96 posted...
One more thing...

I'd like to voice my opinion on an important causing factor to all these shootings. The media covers them 24/7 for weeks on end, and people become nearly fanatical over the different facts and stats. So-and-so shot x number of bullets in x number of seconds. He had red hair and lived with his single mother. He used this gun. He woke up at this time.

This just in: A high majority of these shootings are caused by people that have had social and popularity struggles in school and in life. By covering these shootings with such a fanatical following, you're only perpetuating these tragedies. You're giving them exactly what they want - their brief, yet broad claim to fame.

The TV news refuses to accept that blame, they claim they're "only reporting the news" but it's that fanatical reporting, and in many cases deliberate misinformation, that's the root of the "15 minutes of fame" cases.

The majority of the rest are mental cases who came off their mind altering drugs that they've been on since they were little kids.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#90GunzleaderPosted 1/4/2013 4:54:59 PM
lol at gun collecting good luck geting someone to give up there guns. i would however for a price... and i don't mean god dam red lobster.. i mean about 200 bucks a piece ty and 7k for my 44 40... thats least 57 years old.
---
im not a troll sorry if i offend you in anyway. RIP Everquest Online Adventures 2003-2012