This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Way to fix analog stick that moves on its own?

#11Res5Posted 1/4/2013 12:20:27 PM
First and foremost: Try rotating the controller around a few times. My PS2 controller does this and rotating the stick makes it stop (at least until the next time I turn on the console)

The cause of this is usually because the controller logs the default position as whatever position the joystick is in when the controller/console turns on.

Don't quote me on this but I suspect that this happens more permanently if something below the stick gets moved out of place so the default position is always at a certain place that's not where it should be. If you think you can take your controller apart without destroying it try to see if there's any rubber sticks or something below the joystick that are a little off. I'm not an expert, I have to make that very clear, I AM NOT AN EXPERT, but it could just be that the rubber tracker underneath the joystick is off just like if you take the keys off of a keyboard it has rubber buttons underneath and if they aren't set right the keys won't work correctly.
---
My theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjQ9tuuTJQ
Most people think they are the odd one out but never truly are. I am that one who actually is. :D
#12Res5Posted 1/4/2013 12:21:41 PM
There's always the possibility of it being something else entirely too though. Do you or anyone else who uses your controller have greasy hands or play after eating without washing your hands? The grease could get into the controller and royally mess things up, likely very permanently.

If that is the case I would urge you to make sure any hands that touch it are clean.
---
Most people think they are the odd one out but never truly are. I am that one who actually is. :D
#13Dameon55Posted 1/4/2013 12:47:38 PM
I had a controller that did this for awhile, and then has stopped doing that for some reason. I was banging it against my chair, smacking it with my hand, and pulling and pushing the offending analog towards and away from the controller. For the record, none of these things seemed to help, and may have made the problem worse (at the moment). But if it's any comfort, the problem may go away on its own eventually.
---
GT: Dameon5
#14Dragon NexusPosted 1/4/2013 1:58:01 PM
The cause of this is usually because the controller logs the default position as whatever position the joystick is in when the controller/console turns on.

I am pretty sure the 360 does not calibrate this way. The Wii does for sure, if you held the stick all the way to the left and turned the console/controller on, it would consider that position as "Centre".

I've turned the 360 controller on doing that and it still perceives the centre as the true centre.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#15Res5Posted 1/4/2013 2:00:01 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...

I am pretty sure the 360 does not calibrate this way. The Wii does for sure, if you held the stick all the way to the left and turned the console/controller on, it would consider that position as "Centre".

I've turned the 360 controller on doing that and it still perceives the centre as the true centre.

Ah, if that's the case than forgive me. I was using Gamecube and PS1/2 controllers as a basis for that.
---
#16Deathx113Posted 1/4/2013 2:11:28 PM
Have you tried boiling it?
---
Mods thinking: "Alright, well I'm going to delete this topic, but first let me delete as many of these posts as I can! HohoMwahahhaha!!"
#17arleasPosted 1/4/2013 2:14:58 PM
We had a topic almost just like this a week ago and I think the answer was that you had to set the 'dead zone' for the stick so that it wouldn't register movement until you went past that zone... otherwise it would be ever-so-slightly moved to one side and the game would register that as "you moved the stick" even if you didn't...
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2309952131.png
#18vashtrichamPosted 1/4/2013 2:31:52 PM
Quote:I just buy a new controller when it bugs me enough.
@Dragon Nexus
This I have to buy a new one about once a year, just be careful I've had new controllers lean also and had to return it. From their system to there controllers Msoft makes everything cheap
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#19CapwnDPosted 1/5/2013 7:35:37 AM
Have you tried boiling it?

This was a joke about the DVDs, right? What was it the free dvds that had demos on them?
---
Thrash Zone
#20SketczPosted 1/5/2013 7:40:25 AM(edited)
Moves on its own?

Son, you want a priest and some holy water.

EDIT:
Damn, beaten to it by Billie.