This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

8Gb RAM will NOT be enough for Next Gen Xbox...

#31Santa_GavinPosted 1/3/2013 4:03:58 PM
The reason being is that tech had improved dramatically over what was available 7 to 8 years ago. Much more than the average console gen. And there is a few reasons for it.

- The abnormal length of this gen
- High end GPUS have improved exponentially the past 5
years.
- High price of high end hardware will make consoles no longer accessible to the general public anymore if they do indeed go that route.

People buy consoles for 3 reasons mostly
-low entry cost
- ease of use
- friends

One of those reasons will be totally wiped out if the hope to compete tech wise.

PLUS they are talking about up-gradable hardware for next gen, which in theory is cool. But how many console owners are going to want to take apart their system and tinker with the build? Not many I imagine. At that point you just might as well be on PC.

I know some of you guys think Im a PC fanboy, and I kinda am. But I have my reasons, and stuff like this is pretty eye opening. To me at least.
---
I am Santa_Gavin
I Donate Babies to the Gavin Family
#32ab2c4Posted 1/3/2013 4:05:53 PM
8gb of RAM is almost overkill for a console because the games are optimized so much. Giving developers too much RAM will just make them lazy in their coding.
#33Dragon NexusPosted 1/3/2013 4:06:21 PM
Gotta love new-console season where everyone assumes PC specs are the same as console specs and people vomit out their opinions as if they have any kind of knowledge in computer archetecture.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#34triple sPosted 1/3/2013 4:10:16 PM
I stopped reading at the first sentence for obvious reasons.
---
GT:Triple S 06
PSN:Triple_S_09
#35MRL3G3NDPosted 1/3/2013 4:12:24 PM
If todays pattern is indication...it doesn't matter

I have 6GB of RAM on my PC and a see little to no difference between consoles and PC right now

BECAUSE...games are developed for consoles and ported over to PC's...they just up rez the textures to 1080p, and add mor fps...maybe a little extra fog...

Far cry 3 recommended RAM is 4-8GB...thats roughly 8-16x's the amount of RAM the 360 has...but in a side by side comparison...it just looks like the PC version (on ultra) is more clear...same textures same everything...

http://youtu.be/QT54QWvAOgQ

back in the day they used to develop for PC THEN dumb it down for consoles...but now they have gotten smarter and all games (except BF3) , have been designed from the weakest link...the console...

gaming is in a sad state right now, but they did it to themselves
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#36LaManoNeraIIPosted 1/3/2013 4:16:20 PM
No PC game now or in the near future even requires 8 gigs of RAM. So what are you smoking? Drugs are bad, mmkkay?
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#37TrickyPonyPosted 1/3/2013 4:23:01 PM
Well now's the time to build the next xbox for the future. I'm okay with 8 GB of RAM so long as they make more RAM available either as DLC or marketplace add-ons.
#38sonicteam2k1Posted 1/3/2013 4:27:10 PM
for consoles I feel 4GB would be enough. I mean consoles don't have to do as much work as a PC.
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#39NintendologicalPosted 1/3/2013 4:32:14 PM
ShuraYukihime posted...

He used paragraphs. Though they didn't seem to be for new ideas. More like they were just thrown in for effect.

I laughed for like three straight minutes when I read that. I love deadpan humor.

BilliePilgrim posted...

Dude, modern gaming computers barely require 4 gigs. I can't actually recall a time when I went much over 4, and I'm running an OS and lots of other programs simultaneously, a problem consoles won't have. Hell, my wife's computer has 4 gigs and it's never needed more. 8 will be plenty, and as we've seen developers and Microsoft are perfectly OK with letting the platform hit a technology wall and coasting for a few years.

Now if you've really got a problem with that. There's an option, and it's pretty obvious....

Pretty much this. My Mac Mini has 5GB of RAM and an Intel HD 3000, yet with a horrifically under powered iGP, I can run games like Batman Arkham Asylum, Left 4 Dead 2 and Street Fighter x Tekken at the same level as an Xbox 360. 8GB of RAM is overkill even now and even the most demanding of games ask for 2GB recommended (unless you are gaming with an iGP, in which case they recommend 4GB so you have enough RAM for shared memory purposes).
---
"Your uncle was so dumb he paid the full price of a new PS2 to rent it for a week? Your family tree must be a straight line" - Finlandia
#40jimm120Posted 1/3/2013 4:40:07 PM(edited)
Well

XBOX = 64 mb ram

XBOX 360/PS3 = 512 mb ram (used differently but still 512)

Wii U = 2 gb (and it'll be the "weakest console of them all).

So the next gen Xbox and PS3 having at least 4 gb seems to be correct.

I suspect 6 gb with a tri-core processor for the xbox.
---
Worthy Indie: Trino - Shoot 1UP - Weapon of Choice - Your Doodles Are Bugged - Breath Of Death
Queued: You Will Die - Veks & Silence - Kaleidoscope - Olu